National Gun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello and thank you in advance for any information and knowledge I can pull from the members of the site concerning A H&R 22 special 9 Shot revolver. This revolver came into my possession in a cardboard Box completely disassembled I am in search of a schematic showing the assembly as well as any information on the year this Revolver was manufactured along with any other help I can get I would like to reassemble the weapon and add it to my collection. Again thank you in advance for any information or help that you can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
looks like a top-break model 999 or something close to it.....

gun parts corp should have a diagram.......might find some videos on youtube.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just looking at that .. but the main part of the frame where the grip would mount looks different..mine has one long hole cut in it and the schematic has two different holes in it one larger than the other..

·
Registered
416 Posts
You have a Birdshead frame. Many schematics will show a "standard" drawing. Many, if not all the parts that fit a standard will fit a birdshead. IIRC, the birdshead frame was not real common and may be why they don't show it in the drawing.
You may also try to see if there are any OLD gun shops in your area that do repairs. There is one in Austin that has been there doing repairs for many decades. They may have someone that knows of something that will work if you can't get the exact part.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Also, you have a "leaf" spring instead of a coil spring assembly. It actually looks like it is all there. If not, you are not missing much.
What part of the country are you in. I love to work on those kind of guns. I would help you put it together if I could.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Whoa. Just a tad far for me to help. I'm in Central Texas. I do wish you luck though. Those were fine shooters.
Once you DO get it together, check to make sure that when you cock it and is locked that the cylinder lines up properly with the barrel. And post a picture. I would love to see it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep Texas is a little out of the way...But I do appreciate all the information..when I manage to get it back together I will definitely make sure the cylinder is timed correctly before I fire it...And I do have the original grip its a one piece that slides over the back .and of course Ill put up some pics Thanks again...

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah, I went back to the pics and looked better and saw them.
Not birdshead grips but you do have a birdshead frame. Grips to match the frame would be cool.
I have had a number of people bring me guns in pieces over the years. Those are fairly simple in design. If you sit down with the parts and lay them out the obvious parts on the frame, or an outline drawn on paper, fitting the rest in becomes easier. There are only so many ways the can possibly fit. What sequence they have to go in will often take more time.
Go to Gunpartscorp.com. if it isn't there, look up similar design guns. It can give you a better idea of how the parts fit. You may have to look at several to see the design elements of yours.
And do not force anything. Except maybe the hammer. It looks like the hammer should be under tension when installed much like some of the older black powder pistols with a leaf spring.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My general sequence;
Determine where pins and screws go,
Lay out the obvious parts, hammer, spring and trigger on the frame.
Then see where the little parts can possibly fit.
Most are not as hard as they may seem at first. Remember, they were designed to function while costing as little as possible to manufacture. The more simple it is, the cheaper to make, the more you sell. Don't over think it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You make it sound fairly simple...I hope it is Im used to working on larger heavy duty stuff ..not with parts I'll need tweezers to pick up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Concept is the same. There are only so many ways parts can fit together. Find the obvious. Most of the others will the become easier to place where they go.
Most of the time.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Firearms are just machines. Other than spring force there really is nothing that should require force.

If you do find yourself having an issue likely someone here can help you through it.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Try this: h&r 9 shot .22 lr birds head revolver. It will lead you to a page full of photographs of various H&R revolvers. I saw a couple that resembled your gun. It might lead you to the model number and diagram. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts