National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
SO the other day, we were doing some dynamic drills while shooting. Moving around and shooting for self defense.

I was standing recording and this shooter went to reach for his pistol, and grabs the gun and pulls the hammer.

One thing I learned...keep that finger straight of that trigger. YIKES!

Sidenote: It was the holster. Holster has a button release that if not careful, shooters can almost make deadly mistake.

·
Registered
19,576 Posts
And this "10 ISIS Members, All in a Row" drill serves what purpose?

I would think a drill practicing how to move back into cover would be more appropriate.

·
Awesome
800 Posts

I would think a drill practicing how to move back into cover would be more appropriate.

It's "dynamic!"

Reactions: Stevejet

·
Registered
14,608 Posts
He almost went home with 8 or 9 fingers instead of 10.

·
Super Moderator
14,684 Posts
I never shoot with gloves. I never go where it's cold enough to have to shoot with gloves on.

Alan

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Sidenote: It was the holster. Holster has a button release that if not careful, shooters can almost make deadly mistake
without getting into a holster debate.......i think a lot of the concerns with button release....at least with the designs i am acquainted with..... are more about excuses....or not using equipment properly.

if one looks carefully at the slow motion in the above video, it is observed that the shooter's trigger finger is outside and parallel to the trigger...which is how a button release (blackhawk) positions the trigger finger...outside and parallel to the trigger.

he inserts his finger into the trigger guard as the gun is at roughly 45 degrees after it has cleared the holster. What i am wondering is the gun appears to be a 1911 design......so was the safety ever on to begin with or did he swipe the safety while the gun was still in the holster?.

·
Super Moderator
14,684 Posts
My guess is this:

He grasped the pistol and disengaged the safety at the same time and disengaged the web safety by grasping the pistol butt (or he was cocked without the safety on). He cleared leather (or nylon) and as soon as it was possible stuck his bugger picker in the trigger guard. Since he had on those stupid shooting gloves and could not feel the trigger, he negligently discharged the pistol.

Beyond that explanation, …. I plead the 5th….

Alan

Reactions: Stevejet

·
Super Moderator
14,684 Posts
This video goes a long way toward MY decision to carry semiautomatic pistols on an empty chamber. That period of time when that old boy was in "WTF" mode was when I was racking the slide.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,684 Posts

My thoughts exactly. I wonder how many real world examples include motionless targets waiting for yahoos to walk by and shoot them.

Probably even more pertinent would be draw and fire drills …. with blanks!

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,684 Posts
I've watched the video several more times. I'm not sure what his other hand was doing over there. He may have been about to drop the pistol and was grabbing at it with both hands when his trigger finger touched off the round.

Alan

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
So easy to back seat quarterback these kind of things. My take is that the primary causation is piss poor concentration on the part of the shooter, he should have immediately been pulled from the student rotation at that point. My .02

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
i was wondering about that myself..........the comments repeated "you're good" over and over continuing the exercise......while the argument might be to continue on as SH** happens in real life and train accordingly......horse hockey.

this was not a static exercise.....not a single shooter but multiple shooters in play. I sure as heck would not want to be in front, behind, or beside him on the line.......should had stopped things and pulled him......that in itself would be a teachable moment for everyone

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Although that could happen to anyone I was surprised the "Instructor" or whoever it was behind guiding him didn't stop him to go over what he did wrong.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts