National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
22,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GUNS Magazine, August 2020 issue, page73......"In Other News:

"Another nail for the NRA? It wasn't widely reported but the NRA "laid-off or furloughed dozens of employees, imposed a 4-day work week and cut salaries across the board" in late March. The reason was attributed to the pandemic crisis which is certainly reasonable. However, considering we are hearing countless folks claim they are not sending the NRA "another" dime" until the administration changes, along with the groups documented legal troubles, it seems like the kingdoms treasury is starting to run dry. This also comes on the heels of another friend, an important figure in the publishing industry, who last week told me he wouldn't give the NRA any coverage of any kind until there are changes.

It's sad, really - right now is the most critical time for Second Amendment advocacy in perhaps our lifetime, but the most effective player on the team seems distracted and running short on money.

Just remember to make the personal commitment to vote in the upcoming elections."

I have, since receiving the "crisis letter" from Wayne in my American Rifleman magazine and reading the above from GUNS, received two more back to back "snail mail" entreaties from NRA asking for a straight "crisis donation" and another multi-year membership extension...........to accompany the three year extension I "bought but about 4 or 5 months ago!

It's time to channel the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" and tell the boys in Virginia ....... "No Soup For YOU!". I mean, how many freakin' crisis is Wayne and his Bro's goin' to resolve between now and November? I figure Wayne and the missus will be busy till years end at least just decorating the "new $5 Million mansion" they were/are allegedly buying.

· Premium Member
9,946 Posts
I think the NRA is going to have to open the books and show it’s members just where the money is going. If there’s a huge chunk going to support Wayne then he and his cash cow are in trouble. If it shows that the NRA is working hard at defense and doing the job they claim to be, that the money will be there.

· Registered
6,726 Posts
while i support the nra...as they are indeed the 800 pound gorilla and bogey-man of the democrats.....

the NRA structure is very autocratic, authoritarian, and far from democratic......and when it is such a large beast that wields so much power and controls tens of millions of dollars....."special interests" as well as a lot of programs and things behind the scenes....be they necessary/valuable or not.....are not transparent.

No transparency means questions....no/insufficient answers creates imagination which leads to conspiracies.......but.....as a private organization, its their rules and methods.....for the moment. Trying to understand the organization and power(?) of the NRA Board, the absolute authority of Nominating Committee (9 people entrenched), and the selection/retention of the VP which is the King....it gets confusing.........

· Registered
1,705 Posts
I think the NRA is going to have to open the books and show it’s members just where the money is going. If there’s a huge chunk going to support Wayne then he and his cash cow are in trouble. If it shows that the NRA is working hard at defense and doing the job they claim to be, that the money will be there.
Every forum I go on, or just lurk, it seems like about 90% of the folks agree with that. Even those of us that support them. It is waaay past time they did if they want to remain relevant.
The worst part is, the left did not have to destroy them. Their own arrogance is doing it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

· Registered
585 Posts
"The reason was attributed to the pandemic crisis which is certainly reasonable. However, considering we are hearing countless folks claim they are not sending the NRA "another" dime" until the administration changes, along with the groups documented legal troubles, it seems like the kingdoms treasury is starting to run dry."

Does anyone else see nothing but pure speculation with this article?
Why react to these poorly documented articles. To me this is BS writing!
No investigative reporting, no documentation just one lead sentence
AND "off-they-go" .

· Registered
6,726 Posts
objective neutral in-depth reporting is a thing of the past.....unfortunately.

Reactions: Wag

· Super Moderator
15,175 Posts
"A nation cannot be destroyed from without until it has first destroyed itself from within." --Will Durant, Historian.

We, are the NRA, actually, and as long as we are beating up the organization, it will be destroyed. THAT is the part I fear the most. We will hand the victory over to the gun grabbers and we will be lucky to have a 2nd Amendment any more.

I think we're fortunate to have the GOA, et al but this attack on the NRA from its own rank and file is quite unsettling.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that we as individual members are not keeping the NRA going. Gun manufacturers make that possible. What we give the NRA is political influence, more than anything.

--Wag--

Reactions: Caper

· Registered
541 Posts
WLP must go. It's blatantly obvious that there are extensive financial irregularities at the NRA and that he has been involved in them, if not as beneficiary (though that is my opinion), then as captain of the watch. Not a penny more while WLP remains in office.

· Registered
22,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The complaints and dissatisfaction with the NRA management is wide-spread and common among the organizations grass-roots members. Don't blame the membership for the real and percieved transgressions of Wayne and NRA management. Being "lobbyists" isn't easy and it has its pitfalls. One of them is acting like they are "corporate America", that is, lots of salary and benefits at the top while maintaining a constant clarion-call-to-crisis and passing the "donation" card with each and every mailing, for decades.

· Registered
1,501 Posts
I have some issues of American Rifleman from the 1950s, when I was a teen. Mostly articles on how to shoot and how to improve your shooting, how to process a deer for the freezer, etc.. Now it's political "preaching to the choir" and where to send your money. I get pretty fed up with the fact that only 10% of gun owners belong to the NRA.

· Registered
22,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Received my latest issue of American Rifleman this date. Wayne has a letter explaining why an issue of the magazine was "skipped" and how the "magazine makings" of two months had been put into the current June/July 2020 issue.

Checked my address label to ascertain that my "subscription advance buy-out-to-date" was at least three years and found that I am paid up, or out, to 2027. No wonder I have so many NRA logo'd folder knives (five so far).

So, with subscription advances and yearly checks to NRA ILA and PVF, I figure the heavily compensated management need to do some honest budget adjustments in the areas of personal life-styles.

· Registered
1,705 Posts
"A nation cannot be destroyed from without until it has first destroyed itself from within." --Will Durant, Historian.

We, are the NRA, actually, and as long as we are beating up the organization, it will be destroyed. THAT is the part I fear the most. We will hand the victory over to the gun grabbers and we will be lucky to have a 2nd Amendment any more.

I think we're fortunate to have the GOA, et al but this attack on the NRA from its own rank and file is quite unsettling.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that we as individual members are not keeping the NRA going. Gun manufacturers make that possible. What we give the NRA is political influence, more than anything.

--Wag--
I agree with most of that. Except "We" are not the "inside" that is actively destroying the NRA. The NRA leadership has become more and more progressive and less constitutional as time goes on. And greedier.
They would get 10 times the support, especially in today's political climate, if they would return to fiscal responsibility and the Constitution instead of appeasement, political correctness and lining their own pockets.
They claim to work for "We, the people". But no longer listen to us. And quite often don't seem to care about anything but their image.
The NRA does not need the Left to destroy it. And WE are not doing it. The NRA is doing it to themselves. Unless they wake up to that, nothing We can do will help it. Just delay it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.