National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well two out of four isn't too bad! Cleaned the Kimber 45 and the Sig 245 this am.

I have the ruger 22 and 45 LC single action to take care of. I will do them on Sunday. Too lazy to attack that Ruger 22, I know the chamber needs a good scrubbing and I will have to pull it down and take the barrel off the frame. Takes some time and I am not ready for that yet.

I did discover why the Remington Thunderbolts jammed in the chamber. I checked the rest of the box of ammo and the area around the base of the lead bullet is corroded and oversize. The target models tend to be a bit more sensitive to ammo so I see why I had the problem. I could not even push a round in by hand. So I guess I have a bad batch. I will shoot them up in my old ruger Mark I, it will gobble up anything, or maybe a revolver.

Have any members experienced issues with the Thunderbolt ammo made by Remington? Its a exposed lead bullet and their cheaper line of ammo.

G

·
I have never used round nose lead before, but last week I got two boxes of Magtech 38spl to plink with in my 2 revolvers... it was cheap so I got some.
will this hurt my guns in any way? or just clean-em up good after range shooting.

Lead is usually better for your barrels, it causes less wear. But it can lead up the chamber and barrel and can be a bear to clean out. Takes a lot of scrubbing to get the lead out, so to speak!

Remember do not use lead bullets in your Glocks! They can blow up the barrels! Check your mfg manual for instructions.

G

·
The only failure to function perfectly I've ever had in the Mark II was with "truncated cone" shells-I think Remington-that I tried years ago. It did not like them!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a clip of subsonic 22 remingtons in the mix too and I wonder if they had enough power to work the action.

I did discover a major leading problem in the chamber! That is what prevented the round that got jammed from chambering properly. The round got stuck about 3/4 of the way in and I thought I could run it in the rest of the way by tapping the slide with my hand a bit. That made it worse of course and I could not pull the round out at the range.

I didn't want to try too hard figuring that since its a rimfire I might set it off with the slide open. Got it home and popped it out with the cleaning rod. Have since cleaned it up and everything looks good now.

I think I will stick to jacketed bullets from now on in the ruger target.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts