National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever finish is on the GSG firefly is crap. It has started turning white. I am assuming it’s rubbing off. See pics. I don’t know what metal this is in the slide, I am assuming it’s some kind of alloy. I am not sure parkerizing would work so I’m going to try my hand at some satin black GunKote. If anyone has any experience with it, I’d like to hear about it.

·
Aim true !
10,020 Posts
The finish my Chiappa 1911 -22. Started to come off. I removed it. Strange thing is the frame is holding up.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found information on the construction materials. The slide is a zinc alloy as suspected.

·
Aim true !
10,020 Posts
Im leaving it like it is. My neighbor cleared it for me. When he was clearing car. It's cromax clear. I tried spray bomb clear. It didn't hold up.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. I noticed that GunKote also has a clear. That probably would come in handy for stripped zinc alloy parts. I’ve seen a few folks do that to the Henry Classic rifles, strip the black off and leave it bare metal. I imagine the elements would wreak havoc on the bare metal after a while.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It arrived today. I’ll have to go out to my father-in-law’s and get my soda blaster and go up and get some aluminum oxide media, then figure out how to remove the plastic sights off the Firefly. I’ve decided to just do the slide on both Fireflies. Probably throw them in the smoker outside to cure the paint.

There appears to be a mixing ball in the bottle. Plus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts