National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So somewhere in the past three weeks my Benelli M2 was stolen from my house. I can think of a few people who could have taken it and have reported it to the police. My question is what if the person who stole it has already sold it? I know stores run the numbers after they buy them to check if it is stolen, but at that time it hadn't even been reported yet. Do stores enter the numbers into some kind of inventory database available to the police? Also, I've never sold a gun at a store but I assume they take down the sellers information and what have you correct? I know it is a long shot to recover the gun but I am just wondering what steps there are along the way of the investigation.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I have recovered a lot of stolen guns in my tours of duty and can only speak from my own experience. Only pawn shops and gun stores that trade new and used guns will buy it commercially. Most people that steal guns sell them to a private buyer because they don't want anyone to run the serial number. The thief probably assumes you discovered it missing right away.

If the Police Dept entered the guns serial #, it will stay in the NCIC system forever until it is recovered. I can remember running the serial # of a .44 mag revolver I found in the cab of a semi truck that had been wrecked. The gun came up stolen out of Connecticut from 1976. Almost 30 years later and all the way in Texas.

My question is...where was it located and what circumstances lead you to believe you may know who stole it? If some druggie stole it (just saying) he got rid of it that night to some dealer and it may eventually get located during a raid someday. I am not sure where you live, but would check the pawn shops and gunshops anyway and let them know in case it does show up there.

I would ask the officer to do a Querry Querry (QQ) on your serial number to see if it was run by anyone prior to it being reported...it will show the agency that ran the # and the date. If it does not show anyone running the number...then it probably didn't go to a gun shop.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you SBH, that was a very well put together and informative post. The gun was in my bedroom closet in a locked case, behind some clothes and shoe boxes. I don't have the money for a safe and that was my only firearm, I figured a lock would at least keep someone from taking it out in my own place. The reason I think someone stole it was that I had a friend watch my house for a week while I was out of town on business to feed my fish ( I have a few aquariums). He called and asked if he and some friends could watch the pistons game (i live outside Detroit) on my big screen. I asked how many people, it was only 4 and then him, and I trust him since I have know him all my life. He swears up and down that those were the only people in the house the entire time and from what i've gathered from my neighbors that is the only time they saw people besides my friend in my house, and I have watchful neighbors which is a blessing and a curse. I honestly don't think my friend had anything to do with it since he has never even fired a gun in his life and is more well off then I am so the suspicion has fallen on his friends. The police found some fingerprints in my room not belonging to me or my friend and are checking it out but I am just worried I guess thats all. I'm glad to hear that even if he has already sold it to a store, and they did run the SN that the police can track the record of that. Do gun stores that buy/sell used usually have you fill out paperwork or something when you sell a used gun? And if not do they issue checks or cash usually? Seems like if they buy it for say $350 that it would be too much cash to just hand over in the store. If thats the case I suppose they could track it back to a bank account? Sorry for all the questions but i'm just getting into the situation here.
thanks again SBH

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I know its too late and your gun is gone but consider buying an inexpensive Homak safe that bolts to the studs in the closet. They are only about $100+ and that is a heck of a lot cheaper than the loss of one gun. Stack-on make the cheap ones also. Requires a crowbar and some time to open them.

A membership in the NRA will provide some firearm insurance, at least if you are a life member. Not sure about the annual membership.

A homeowners policy will provide a certain amount of firearms insurance also. Maybe the first 1K and then you have to pay extra to buy more coverage than that.

Always wise to have a insurance policy for some coverage on homeowner or renters contents.

We all get this stuff after we had our first burglary.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Do gun stores that buy/sell used usually have you fill out paperwork or something when you sell a used gun?
Yes...they have to be able to track the seller in case the gun turns up stolen, or used in a murder or something before it was sold.

I have two thoughts about your situation:

1. If your gun was that well hidden and the thief found it there...he was in the house long enough to be a guest...probably from the game...and you better re-visit your friend to see what was going on there while you were gone...a shotgun doesn't fit in someone's front pocket and they must have been in your room for awhile to find it. Also, it they were snooping that much...there is probably other things missing as well. An anonymous/stranger burglar would have just trashed your place and took everything...what happened to you is VERY consistent with 'theft by friend and/or his acquaintances.

2. You live near Detroit...the city closest to resembling Hell on the North American continent...depending on who the friends were that were there...that shotgun may be gone for good. I would consider maybe getting a handgun now until you get a safe....or a safer city.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts