National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than buying a book, is there anywhere I can go on the Internet to get values on a 3 firearms I have to sell.
I know I can look at auctions and such if I have to.
I think I know what they are worth, but in today's market I am not sure.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
The best place to look is at the auctions' Closed Auction lists.

With that being said, my local gunshop has a consignment section, his prices are OUTRAGEOUS, but the stuff moves real fast.

I've sold several guns there, sometimes I have a message waiting for me when I get home that they have already been sold!

For some reason, there's a large segment of gun buyers who don't know any better, or have no clue as to how to buy on the web, and are just clueless. If you have a gun shop that provides this service near you, go talk to them. And you won't have to mess with shipping, getting the FFL form, etc.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I do but I don't like the way they do it. You make up your mind what you want for it and they try to make money on top of that. And if you don't leave it there until it sells you owe them a fee for having it there. As far as I can see all they want to do is buy them from you directly. I know a couple of people that told me not to leave me guns there for sale.
In this rural area we don't have much of a choice as there are only two dealers and they both do business the same way.
Plus it's my understanding that to get your own guns back you have to fill out paperwork of some sort for the feds.
I am tired of the paperwork and I think that's a bunch of ****.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
That stinks.

My gun shop sets a high price, higher than anything I could get even after commission. We talk about the price, but I always take the owner's advice. I've got no idea about transferring the gun back to me, they've always sold.

I've got a 2004 Blue Book, if you want to post the models or emal me I'll tell you what they say.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I have a Berreta 8045F Mini Cougar .45 ACP with the two clips that came with it.
A Ruger GP100 .357, 4" in SS.
A CZ 452 .22 Ultra Lux, with 3x9 scope with 1 5 round and 3 10 round clips.
I have the boxes and manuals for all and they are all nice.
I have an ad starting in the local paper coming out Tuesday. I think I know what they are worth, I just thought I might check before i sell too cheap.

Thanks

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
These values would be for the guns only, not any mags & accessories:

Berreta 8045F Mini Cougar .45 ACP
Grading MSR $779
100% $645
98% $520
95% $440
90% $385
80% $340
70% $300
60% $275

Ruger GP100 .357, 4" in SS
Grading MSR $520
100% $425
98% $330
95% $270
90% $230
80% $200
70% $185
60% $170

Add $5 for adjustable rear sights

CZ 452 Ultra Lux
Not listed

Keep in mind these values are 4 years old.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.
Amazingly I had my values about right according to your older book.
Maybe I was not as far out of touch as I thought.
Now to see if they sell locally.
If not maybe an ad here is in order. I would rather not have to ship at this point. UPS for me is a 25 mile drive to their depot to ship one.
We are going to travel in our motor home and we have enough weapons going with us without these going too.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
You're welcome.

Good luck with the sales.

And enjoy your travels.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I believe you can put them up for sale on our guns for sale forum. Have to deal with all the shipping through FFL's and such and make sure you select a proper methoid of payment. But you might consider that option.

Suggest you talk to "gunrnr" about the best way to market your firearms also. He is a dealer with an FFL and can add to the advice already given.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well both handguns left today for my asking price.
I did have an Air Force retiree here that low balled me after he got here (he got lost getting here but he was AF). Sorry, I am ex Army and never did get along with airdales with the exception of two I knew.
His offer was an insult, I told him so after the 3rd time he flashed his cash and took my .45 away from him and showed him the door.
Some people! The guns walked for my price, which was reasonable, less than two hours later.
Now to see if the CZ452 sells.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Wow.

That was fast.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it helps that I am very near Fort Huachuca, the Army base where I was first stationed. Lots of gun nuts here.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
keninaz said:
I think it helps that I am very near Fort Huachuca, the Army base where I was first stationed. Lots of gun nuts here.

Thats good since you are close to the border and might need all those guns. ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have fired a few rounds here running them away from my cars at night.
They pick up the pace really well when I cut loose over their head.
Of course they aren't looking so they don't know where I am firing.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
keninaz said:
I was out there with a job about 5 years ago.

Flew into Phoenix, and since I had not been in that part of the country before, I opted to drive down there rather than take a puddle jumper.

The terrain is certainly different than the East Coast. One thing I noticed was that there were exits that seemed to go nowhere. The last couple of hours of the trip were after dark, I looked for lights out there and didn't see any. But I did see lots of stars.

On the way back, I was stopped by Border Patrol for an inspection (I guess the rental tags did it).

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Naw, within 25 miles of the border they can come onto your property anytime. They cannot come into your home or sheds but they can enter your property to search for illegals, drag activity and such.
We don't like it but when you live this close that's the way it is according to the law.
If they see a car or truck/van riding funny, acting funny (lost tourist) they will stop you.
And many exits in rural AZ lead out into the desert to homes that are quite some distance from the main roads, and of course no street lights.
For people from the East that visit or move here with a job it's really different for them.

G

·
Any time my stuff sells fast I get that sinking feeling that I priced them too low. I sell a lot to Forum members and try to be conservative with my pricing. If I sell on the net I get all I can.

I once worked with a guy with this philosophy: "screw your friends, your enemies won't give you a chance." He has few friends.
I value my Forum friends. Else we'll duel at 20 paces this summer. Mine .45 acp, yours: Daisy Pelet Gun. ;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I find that setting the prices fairly and placing them right at the first of the month when most the world gets paid down here helps sell things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts