National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of safe do you find to be the SAFEST. It doesn't have to be the one you own, maybe one you wish to own.

G

·
Stack On & Sentry have good reputation as an entry level safe ($800-$1200).

My Dream safe woulb be a Browning top grade, $2000+++ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
213 Posts
whompuss said:
Stack On & Sentry have good reputation as an entry level safe ($800-$1200).

My Dream safe woulb be a Browning top grade, $2000+++ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

awww yeah a Browning Platinum Plus safe with de-humidifier, interior lights, 3/16 ultra heavy steel, weighs 1,445 ibs., key locked dial, 5 spoke handle, withstands 1200 degrees for 90 mins., 47 cu. ft. Brownings top dog! MSRP $4129 add accesories if you like...I had one full of guns, but then I woke up from a dream and saw my ol Sentry safe :x :lol: Its a trusty one though

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I'm kind of partial to my National. It meets/exceeds the specs listed for the Browning. It also lists for a litle more, but we ended up paying a bit less. Reminds me of the 60s song, "My Boyfriend's Back", ..."he's kinda big and he's AWFUL strong..."

·
Registered
811 Posts
Want a Browning, started to buy one about a year ago but couldn't bring myself to spend that much, now I cant afford one. I guess the one I have (don't remember brand don't want to get up and look)
will have to do.

·
Registered
213 Posts
gunrnr said:
I'm kind of partial to my National. It meets/exceeds the specs listed for the Browning. It also lists for a litle more, but we ended up paying a bit less. Reminds me of the 60s song, "My Boyfriend's Back", ..."he's kinda big and he's AWFUL strong..."

Wow thats a nice one there Mr. Gunrnr. How many can you store in it? (rifles/pistols) Id take a picture of my safe and upload it, but its so ugly it might give my computer a virus :lol: no where near the caliber of that National.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Thanks, guys. I don't move it -- probably never will. We don't plan to move, but if we did, I think I'd sell the safe with the house.

The guys who installed it were a hoot to watch. The taller fellow was maybe about 5'8", the other guy was maybe 5'4". Both of them were built like fireplugs. Complete pros -- they threaded it through a door at an angle -- it had about 1.5" clearance on the sides. Of course that was with the "wheel" disassembled. I'm told it weighs around 3,800 lbs. The door alone is over 800 but moves with one finger. It's also bolted 6" into the concrete, beneath. The bolts that hold the door closed are each a little over an inch in diameter and there are ten of them.

It's made for 21 long guns and however many handguns that can be arranged. It's been perfect for our personal firearms plus those we handle in our little gun business.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I like the Fort Knox brand of gun safes and would spot for a Chuck Yeager model if I was made of money.

http://www.ftknox.com/

G

·
sig232 said:
I like the Fort Knox brand of gun safes and would spot for a Chuck Yeager model if I was made of money.

http://www.ftknox.com/

Your right. People are not made of money and they shouldn't pay an arm an a leg for good security. My names Alyssa and I'd be more than happy to point you in the right direction...

G

·
I'm taking anything you guys consider "spamming" off. This is just one website out of a ton sturdy safe is mentioned on, so it's no biggy to pull my info off one site at your guys request. Like I have said from the beginning, I'm here to help for any gun safe questions you might have.

G

·
gunrnr said:
Thanks, guys. I don't move it -- probably never will. We don't plan to move, but if we did, I think I'd sell the safe with the house.

The guys who installed it were a hoot to watch. The taller fellow was maybe about 5'8", the other guy was maybe 5'4". Both of them were built like fireplugs. Complete pros -- they threaded it through a door at an angle -- it had about 1.5" clearance on the sides. Of course that was with the "wheel" disassembled. I'm told it weighs around 3,800 lbs. The door alone is over 800 but moves with one finger. It's also bolted 6" into the concrete, beneath. The bolts that hold the door closed are each a little over an inch in diameter and there are ten of them.

It's made for 21 long guns and however many handguns that can be arranged. It's been perfect for our personal firearms plus those we handle in our little gun business.

Whats with the picture of the bolt size??? Ya'll know bolt thickness isn't important!!!?? :eek:
For example, when your looking at money vaults that are nearly the size of our 2723 safe, you will notice they have one of the highest security ratings listed at TL30, and they only have 3 locking lugs, none of which are located on the bottom or top of the door. You might wonder how is it that a safe with a lug count of 3 can be rated one of the highest in security and the answer is this: a smart locking assembly and lots of thick steel!! We feel gun safes should be treated this same way. It's not the number of deadbolts that make it more secure, it's the smart locking assembly and the thick steel. Remember, dont let their sales gimmick of many thick moving dead bolts throwing out everywhere impress you, it still wont stop a burglar from penetrating through the side if the safe if it only has 10 gauge of steel or less on the walls.

Here is more proof: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=22078516

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
So size isn't important? Good, I've been using that line for years.

I don't see you listed in the sponsor section, so I can only assume you joined NGF to advertise your product. That's good and well, but you need to write to Travis or Sig232 first. Otherwise your posts will be poofed. Sponsors get a header ad and our undying respect and admiration. Spammers get banned.

And I'll take my 10 over your 3 lugs any day of the week. They fit really nicely behind the 9/16" plates.

G

·
gunrnr said:

I don't see you listed in the sponsor section, so I can only assume you joined NGF to advertise your product. That's good and well, but you need to write to Travis or Sig232 first. Otherwise your posts will be poofed. Sponsors get a header ad and our undying respect and admiration. Spammers get banned.

And I'll take my 10 over your 3 lugs any day of the week. They fit really nicely behind the 9/16" plates.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/IMG_0259 (Large).JPG I'm sure the owner of this safe was really thankful for his big lugs too. (a joke) At lease you have the thick steel part down and thats what really matters is my point!!!!
BTW: We have 4 moving deadbolts on one side and 4 non moving on the hinge side. Non on the top an bottom, but they are not needed as I will continue to prove to you.
Sorry if I was spamming???, but I thought I was helping people (like yourself) realize that lug thickness and lug count is not as important as the thickness of steel thats being used. Anyone who would lead people to believe a large lug count is one of the things that makes a safe, safe is misleading. I would think being a WOMAN who was raised in the GUN SAFE MANUFACTURING industry, who has made these gun safes with her own hands (at one point, lol, i'm office bound now) would have better advice than someone one else on this topic. ;)

What sells safes, and what really makes a safe safe are 2 very different things:
What sells a safe?
Thick looking 4" doors that are really made with thin, weak 12 gauge steel, Big beautiful spoke handles, nice paint with the lighted interior and plush velvet lining, and big thick dead bolts moving everywhere because it is one of the main things that impresses the pants off people.

What makes a gun safe really safe??

Thick steel, smart linkage design and lots of abusive resistance.

I gave that video as an example for you to see for yourself what those UL approved safes with those dead bolts you like being broken into in about a min with just a crow bar. But just you wait!!! I got a new video coming out where we alter one of our safes doors to fit a crowbar (naturally our doors are recessed, so a crow bar wont fit) and get 4 boys to try to get it open. I should mention: we cut off all but one active deadbolt on one one side of the door. It's set up in a way you know we are not bluffing when it comes to how much pressure is on the door too. It should be good!

By the way... big deadbolts moving everywhere means lots of weaker linkage parts connecting from the handle shaft to the lugs. Most safes like these wont make it in a linkage strength test like in the video we made: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=19892732

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Travis, Sig -- Make her GO AWAY....

I think we all know that there isn't a lock that can't be picked or a safe that can't be cracked. If if wouldn't mess up my all-show-and-no-go "Big beautiful spoke handles, nice paint with the lighted interior and plush velvet lining", I'd lock her ass inside my 3rd-Rate safe with a crowbar in her hands and let her work her way out. I also have a big beautiful sound system so I wouldn't have to listen to the process. Tick - tick - tick ...

Thanks...I feel better now...the meds are AGAIN starting to kick in...

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
gunrnr said:
Dude... That's just funny ****... I don't care who you are! :lol:

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I have three,, well kind of.

One is a finger key pad for me, one is a finger pad for my wife. Both are mounted on our sides of the bed. The third is a Key master that sits in our closet.

The fingers hold our carry pistol at night (as our children are old enough to get up at night), and as soon as we wake up they come out and are holstered.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
That video assumes several things.

A) That my safe isn't bolted to the ground, which it would be.
B) That if the thieves managed to unbolted my safe, that they had room to knock it over.
C) That if they had room to knock it over, that they have room to maneuver.
D) That they would have made it that far.

If anyone wants to steal something bad enough, the safe won't stop them, no matter whose safe you buy.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
I think when buying a safe, (I currently own 4), it is important to not lose common sense, and stick with known facts of what you are trying to protect your firearms from. For example, insurance, as well as police statistics show 90% of suburban home break in's are by kids under the age of 18. Most are in the house for less than 2 minutes, and most don't take anything they can't carry off on their person quickly. Also, they almost never walk down the street carrying 6 foot long railroad bars with them! They are what the police refer to as, "smash and grab" type hits. Most are never caught simply because the police are too under staffed, and the amount taken isn't all that much. The odds of "being hit by a pro" are quite slim in average middle class neighborhoods. That's not saying it can't happen, it's just not very probable. Another thing that is unlikely is fire. When is the last time you saw a house burn down within 1 mile of your home? I've been in my house going on 11 years and I can't remember seeing, or hearing of one. I'm not talking of a small grease fire in the kitchen, but rather one where the insurance company had to come out and assess the damage. On the other hand water is the largest destroyer of homes, along with the property they contain. Paying a lot of money for fire protection in a safe just isn't worth it. Just ask anyone who did that lives, or lived, in New Orleans. No one that I know of makes a waterproof gun safe. When looking at the real threat of what your up against in protecting your guns at home, a dog, modest alarm system, or putting your lights and a radio on a timer will all go a lot farther in protecting your property than 1"+ thick locking lugs will. Burglars hate lights, dogs, alarms, and noise. In short make your house look like someones home even when someone isn't. My 4 safes run the whole range of price and "fanciness". All protect well for what I need to defend from. If and when I ever buy another, size will be it's most important feature. Whatever you can't fit inside is at a greater risk than protecting what is from something that in all likelihood won't happen. Bill T.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts