National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you own a safe and lock up your guns? If so can you access them quickly if necessary?

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I sure do. I have a huge safe for all of my guns. 2 of them actually. One is completely full and the other is on its way :D Keep the home defence gun out of there though.

·
Banned
818 Posts
My dad and I worked out a deal long ago and I am allowed to keep my guns in my room, but the ammo gets locked up in my dad's room. However, the HD gun in the house which is a Remington 870 is loaded and accessible by either me or my younger brother if God forbid we have to use it to defend ourselves when our parents are gone.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maser said:
My dad and I worked out a deal long ago and I am allowed to keep my guns in my room, but the ammo gets locked up in my dad's room. However, the HD gun in the house which is a Remington 870 is loaded and accessible by either me or my younger brother is God forbid we have to use it to defend ourselves when our parents are gone.
Its a tough issue when dealing with teens. Most are totally responsible but some can't wait to show the guns to their firends and then the trouble begins. Their friends tell others and pretty soon the gun disappears or is played with.

The most recent issue of Combat Handguns has several situations where teens used guns kept in the home to save a life. So I guess it depends on the trust that exists between the parents and the children as to the access issue.

G

·
I keep most of my Long rifles and shotguns in the safe, but I keep out my mossberg 500 and my llama 1911 Incase of unexpected guest.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
My wife said if you are going to keep firearms, they will be locked up so the children could not get to them. In addition, she does not want to see any firearms at any point during her day. :cry:

Better than an outright ban like Chicago! :roll:

G

·
taurus revolvers have a key lock built in now, keep the key on a necklace and shaz-am instanst safty and you get to keep a gun around. Can you say loop hole :D

G

·
Oops, wrong thread.

Well heres this:
My cousin lives in the same house as me the majority of the time (when at the grandparents.) She just learned how to crawl and is upstairs with the baby gate up at night. The Security Six stays on my nightstand for now (the .38 snubby under the mattress at Mom's, and the XD in a holster behind the bed at Dad's.) The only thing to worry about at Mom's are my step-siblings (both are 12) and they're in different rooms, my door stays locked and when I'm awake it's normally on my person or tucked under some things in the closet. Don't have to worry about anything at Dad's, it's just me and him with the AK in the corner of my bedroom, Sigma behind his bed, and XD behind mine.

and the other rifles and pistols are in the gun cabinet at my grandparents.

G

·
My daughter is 15 and not a safety concern. I could leave a loaded, cocked and unlocked pistol on the kitchen table and she'd just tell me in passing I left my gun there. She's been like that since she was little - she grew up around my guns and I have always taught her respect for their destructive power. I also removed their allure by treating them like any other power tool, and by giving her a pair of .22 rifles that are exclusively hers.

I have a safe and secure the guns that aren't in use. By "in use" I mean defense guns. Those are always loaded and either on my person (or my wife's), or in a night table drawer.

G

·
All six of my kids have been indoctrinated about firearm safety since about 2 years old. Four of them have made their livings while carrying.

I leave loaded weapons all over the house, all the time. When visitors come, the firearms get locked up.

I have always wanted a safe(s), but it seems like every time I've saved the money for one, a good deal shows up on a firearm - so long safe.

My home and grounds have both passive and active security systems. I have never had a break-in - even when I lived in the barrio in East LA(man)

I have a rider on my homeowners insurance that pays full value - no deductible - for any firearms lost, stolen, or destroyed. I think it costs me about $50 a year(?).

Doug

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doug Wilson said:
All six of my kids have been indoctrinated about firearm safety since about 2 years old. Four of them have made their livings while carrying.

I leave loaded weapons all over the house, all the time. When visitors come, the firearms get locked up.

I have always wanted a safe(s), but it seems like every time I've saved the money for one, a good deal shows up on a firearm - so long safe.

My home and grounds have both passive and active security systems. I have never had a break-in - even when I lived in the barrio in East LA(man)

I have a rider on my homeowners insurance that pays full value - no deductible - for any firearms lost, stolen, or destroyed. I think it costs me about $50 a year(?).

Doug

Well you are a lucky man Doug! One of my friends in LA is an avid gun collector and he lost a pile of guns. Lived over by the old B&B gun store. The word got out through his kids I believe that he had guns and they went through the place and found about half of his collection. He had them stashed all over the place.

He then figured that the price of the gun safe was worth the peace of mind when he was out traveling with the wife.

I was robbed over in the SE area of town, while in the process of moving. My safe and guns were safely moved into the new property. But they took about 4K worth of video equipment and other goodies!

The safe can also be used to lock up watches, coins, camera equipment and other high dollar equipment that can walk out the door!

G

·
I keep all my guns locked up tight. First the guy would have to run the gauntlet of dog's and if he made it past him the house is alarmed .But if he still persists then he can deal with the frying pan wheedling wife. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you own a safe and lock up your guns? If so can you access them quickly if necessary?
I have a very curious 5 year old and I was shopping around FOREVER for a ACTUAL childproof quick access gun safe. I heard about the GunBox and watched their videos and did a lot of research. I ended up buying one after having a bunch of GunVaults break on me. I've never been happier. If the GunBox is moved in the slightest an alarm will sound. On top of it being childproof (they have a video on their website) it also gives me access to my gun in about 2 seconds or less. We (hubby and me) currently have all of our fingers programmed into the box so we don't have to think about which finger (or a code like the GunVault) during an emergency. No keys, no code, no combination, just my fingerprint. We have had 0 problems with the biometric reader too. It works every single time. I highly recommend these for anyone with kids!

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,848 Posts
We have two safes and no children at home. Just to make sure a criminal doesn't have easy pickins.

IMHO, teaching your kids about gun safety and the dangers of handling a gun is much more important, then locking them up and pretending your kids are safe.

When I was growing up, my parents didn't have a safe. They simply caught me that guns were not toys to play with. When I was six or seven, my father took me in the backyard and showed me how much damage a .22 could do to a 2x4. Then he asked which was harder, me or the 2x4? Then he showed me what damage a 12 gauge could do. It sunk in fairly quick, to not mess with guns. About the same time, he taught me how to handle and use the .22 rifle safely and we would target practice every now and then. About a year later, we started hunting together. A year after that, I was allowed to hunt alone, as long as I told one of my parents, where I would be hunting at and when I'd be back home.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Yes 2 gun safes....Plus a keyed door at which they are kept behind.....Why the keyed door? I was working... Wiping down, Oiling working the actions on some of them and the Wife goes to work I step out into living room to check on the kids.....I sit down in the recliner baby girls in her crib a sleep...3 year old boy asleep on couch.....dad nods off awhile in the recliner......I awake sometime later bed rooms a mess wife's drawers have been pulled out I`m like what has this crazy BI$% been looking for step over to my side of the bed and all the guns are piled,,( some what similar to a pyramid)...Next to the bed....I checked in on kids and all is asleep.....The wife has over stepped it this time....Come to find out it was the 3 year old boy.....He was playing possum when I first checked......Used a nail file to by pass one of them funky bed room door Knobs that has a lock...the kind with a slotted hole ya stick anything in and turn.....Well trip to LOWES that Night.....Purchase of keyed Entry door Knob......... So while all was secure Kids will find away.....One needs multiple layers of security when dealing with children......The Keyed Entry Door Knob has payed off...Plus I hung some 1/2 x 1/2 trim around bedroom doors so you can`t use a card or knife to trip the lock either...yes I learned from this also baby girl now 4 took a butter knife one night and kept opening door to be with mommy..........I again faulted the wife until baby girl showed us how she was gaining entry.....

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
Good info in this forum post,

BOOKMARKED! :laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts