National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to start a sporting clays club in my college, which, sadly, is in New York: Land of the gun-shy. Since sporting clays is a gun sport, the school is going to be concerned that somebody is going to end up blowing their own head off with a shotgun. Does anybody know or know where I could get the stats on gun injuries during competitions? This kind of info would be really helpful, since I could compare it to injuries in other sports and show that it is actually a safer sport overall. Thanks in advance to all who respond.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Accidents aren't limited to just competitions, because you never know how competent a competitor might be. I'd offer them stats on total accidental gun-related injuries nation wide and compare that with other sports, perhaps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally, I would agree with you, but unfortunately, those stats would also include deaths, which would completely wreck any attempt at starting a club. The reason I'm asking on this forum is because I was hoping to avoid that sort of issue, but can't seem to find the stats for sports injuries myself. Indeed, I even read somewhere that injuries are so rare, that people don't even bother keeping track of them, which makes sense considering how iron clad the rules at a sporting clays competition are (break safety rules or act in any kind of unsafe manner and you can be removed from the competition and banned from the course).

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
I commend you for trying to do this but if it is affiliated with a college it will be tough----- insurance liability would be astronomical I would think in a state like New York ---I could be wrong. You might try and see if the NRA has anything----- at least they could point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't you just have the students sign liability waivers so that the university isn't responsible for them, their actions, or their injuries? Or would you still need some manner of insurance? I do have a potential grant lined up for a team, which could give us up to $10k for starting one, so I could probably get some of that to be put towards the insurance, if we got it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Normally, I would agree with you, but unfortunately, those stats would also include deaths, which would completely wreck any attempt at starting a club. The reason I'm asking on this forum is because I was hoping to avoid that sort of issue, but can't seem to find the stats for sports injuries myself. Indeed, I even read somewhere that injuries are so rare, that people don't even bother keeping track of them, which makes sense considering how iron clad the rules at a sporting clays competition are (break safety rules or act in any kind of unsafe manner and you can be removed from the competition and banned from the course).
There is data that separates deaths and injuries. I recall watching a medical vid on gun **** trauma that presented stats. Can't recall what it was now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Contact the National Skeet Shooting Association. I'm sure they would love to help you have a convincing argument and can provide statistics about their events. They have an extensive website.

NSSA-NSCA

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Not sure where to get the stats but I have been shooting handgun matches for years and I can only remember one and it was a nasty cut from the slide on his thumb. Not any help I know but. hey that's all I got.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
Couldn't you just have the students sign liability waivers so that the university isn't responsible for them, their actions, or their injuries? Or would you still need some manner of insurance? I do have a potential grant lined up for a team, which could give us up to $10k for starting one, so I could probably get some of that to be put towards the insurance, if we got it.
Sadly a liability waver is about as iron clad as a prenuptial agreement which is to say not worth the paper it is printed on. I do commend your energy and your enthusiasm and I wish you the best. I have tried for the last half hour to find some data to answer your question but I come up empty. sorry.

·
Super Moderator
14,623 Posts
Start the club. Start shooting somewhere. Build your own stats. Petition the school for sanctioning based on your record.

Alan

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Maybe contact

:devil:..........................:devil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts