National Gun Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a old bolt action .410 shotgun from my father and it is alittle on the old side. i do not know the age of the gun i know he bought it when he was 14 "he is 51 now" he bought it used so it is at least 37 years old. now the gun has not been fired since i was born i am 22 so it has sat for quite awile. i have cleaned it very well and went over it and it is in great condition i can not find a reason not to fire it, but i am a tad bit concerned of firing it since it has sat for so long. is there anything i need to check or make shure before i put the first shell in it in over 22 years.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The advice I always give in this kind of situation is what you've probably already been told: Take it to a gunsmith and get his blessing before firing it.

The chances are that it's safe to fire, assuming you cleaned it properly and it is not made with a Damascus or twisted steel barrel. But since you don't know how old it is and none of us can look to see whether it's a modern steel barrel, it would be worth the small cost to get a pro to look at it first. While looking, the smitty can also tell whether any modifications or damage have affected the shotgun. Peace of mind is a good thing. Squeezing your eyes shut, holding the gun out at arms length, gritting your teeth and pulling the trigger, while reciting the abridged version of The Lord's Prayer doesn't cut it -- get an expert to look at it first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts