National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so everyone always wants to know one rifle to rule them all but everyone has different needs different purpose. i want to know as much relevant information as i can by giving as much information as i can.
about my abilities: i am a recreational shooter, i do not hunt big game, i am not professional trained, i am well built so recoil is not a serious factor.
environment: i live in hawaii, so a weapon that can handle salt climate, fine grain beach sand, as well as deep rain forest and swamps is preferred.
circumstance: hawaii has strict gun laws, rifles must have a barrel length of 16 in, no suppressors, no full auto, magazine capacity of 10 max. I know when STHF gun laws wont matter, but until then i have to follow all gun laws.
purpose: all purpose rifle, mostly for target shooting, hunting game the size of deer and large wild boar and survival, looking for 16" barrel so i can shoot close quarters if need be for home protection (i know ideally a shotgun is better and i will pick one up eventually), light weight is key as i hike long distances, along with reliability, accuracy is always important but not the highest concern as i am not shooting beyond 300 yrds as most of my hunting shots is within this range.
side info: im looking at .308 caliber as it takes down 250 lbs boars more easily than 5.56, and since i cannot care large mags, .308 seems more reasonable. i know there is no one rifle to rule them all ideally you can select a single weapon for a single task, but money is a concern for me. I would not like to spend more than 2000 or 2500. that being said i know alot of people out there will say for that money just buy 2 or 3 guns that will cover all the bases, and thats fine give me feedback. also people forget about relativity, meaning with reliability on a 10 year scale ar's might seem more practical as there are always parts and ammo for them, however on a 50 year scale breach or bolt action is reliable as itll never break. im looking for all information and criticism, specific and broad, if you need more info i can give it if i have it. thanks for your time

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I`ll also suggest a .22 stainless..But as that is not what your looking for try a .223 or a .243 also stainless for climate also there are some awsome AR packages you can look at Try Smth and Wesson M&P line and thanks

· Registered
27 Posts
Im with hjh45acp on this one. Springfield is a very respectable manufacturer and the m1a would be a good choice. Also, from serving in the military and as a police officer I can tell you the AR design is proven reliable and rugged. You can find them in .308 caliber just make sure you get one from a respectable manufacturer. Not to overwhelm you with options here if your looking for a bolt action I own a Remington 700 VTR chambered in .308 and am very pleased with it.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
i live in hawaii, so a weapon that can handle salt climate, fine grain beach sand, as well as deep rain forest and swamps is preferred.
circumstance: hawaii has strict gun laws, rifles must have a barrel length of 16 in, no suppressors, no full auto, magazine capacity of 10 max. I know when STHF gun laws wont matter, but until then i have to follow all gun laws.
Based on your post I would be thinking about a simple .308 bolt action rifle made in stainless with a synthetic stock. Ideally I would look for an older Remington 700 bolt action rifle in the VSSF (Varmint Stainless Synthetic Fluted) family chambered in .308. That will not get you an 18" barrel, however, the factory length barrel, if to long, could be shortened by a gunsmith pretty easily.

Older Remington being only a suggestion, a Savage would fill the bill or several other good rifles. Just consider the materials when you consider your climate and environment.

Ron

49 Posts
1 VERY important thing you left out in your original post ... What's your budget? There is no point in having you look at guns you can't afford.

The best advice is find a range that will let you rent some guns. Then you can get hands on and actually see and feel which one you like best. What works for us may not work for you.

· Registered
7,193 Posts
I hunt hogs in the south coastal region of Texas. It`s hot, humid,sandy,gritty, and all kinds of weird insects. I use a blued Rossi .44 mag lever gun and carry my S&W 586 .357 revolver. Never had a problem YET. Just have to clean guns real well when done.

· Registered
40 Posts
Hummmm crummy gun laws to deal with ... Ruger 44 magnum carbine would be a decent choice. If you want more range stick with the 308 maybe look into a H&K 91 or FAL variants. There are a number of good bolt guns out there too just remember a Joe Super Sniper I can hit anything gun is not going to fill as many roles as a solid combat rifle.

Dave Z

· Registered
98 Posts
My personal definition of a complete personal arsenal: rifles- Winchester 94 and a Ruger 10/22
Handguns- S&W model 60-10 and a S&W 3" 317
Shotgun- Breakaction 20 gauge. Note the list consists of big rifle,22 rifle - big handgun , 22 handgun- shotgun. These are the models and actions I like. Others may prefer others. In general you should get five totally adequate guns for $2500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.