National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“Gun control” is a blasphemis phrase that may have no place on this forum.
I would like though, an intelligent discussion on gun control. I believe that ANYONE who has said they are in favor of instant background checks, is in favor of some form of gun control. As a retired police officer and veteran, I certainly was and still am. Knowing what a full auto is capable of, I would be in favor of some controls.
I would like to know what controls you would be in favor of.
Examples of what I feel are gun control measures.
- I would like to see a federally issued CWP they could be used across state lines.
- I would like to see more qualified people “recruited” for screening, training and licensing by state govt. to carry concealed weapons. Do you think 8 people would have been killed during this recent mall tragedy if at least 1 in 25 qualified adults had been carrying a concealed weapon ?
- Technology must be discussed when it comes to a second amendment right to bear arms that was imposed during a time when the muzzle loader was the primary weapon. What should or should not be allowed ?
-Assault weapons are a tough issue, but we should no shy away from a discussion on it without a blanket retort of being against ALL forms of control.

Your thoughts ?

·
Registered
677 Posts
I despise the term "assault weapon". If I ran through a mall and killed 8 people with a ball bat, would I have an assault bat ? I don't think so.

Full auto weapons should be regulated
Felons should not be permitted to possess
Those persons adjudacated to be mentally dangerous should not be permitted to carry. (That does NOT include a simple diagnosis of PTSD

Retired cops have no more right to a nationwide carry permit than retired military, or honorably discharged military, or decorated military. Military personnel have many more hours (days, weeks, months) of firearms training than most law enforcement officers have.

An automobile should be considered an illegal deadly weapon when driven by anyone with BAC over the legal limit

There's a start...........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dislike the term "assault weapon" too; but that's the nomenclatore we're stuck with. It's more the caliber that we "draftee's" could handle. I look at the design of the "assault" type weapon as an actual improvement on hunting weapons in general with their improved ergonomics; especially when chambered for a hunting caliper.

Having served with both, there is a huge difference between police, where I actually had much more firearms training with handguns, then in the military. Police training is much more applicable to CWC than military. That's where I'll have to disagree.

I like your other points....but, 8 people at a mall with a baseball bat won't happen; it's still the technology. I'd bet it was a military low recoil round that a 17 year old could handle. That's where discuission should begin, not the actual weapon design sans caliber.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The mental instability should be taken for granted. Nobody in their right mind shoots up a mall, or commits a crime with a firearm. That being said, he was astute enough to avoid shooting up a police station, or a gun store, or a military installation. I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but that mall should have been safe for all....... after all, it was a "GUN-FREE ZONE". :roll:

Now there's gonna be a big push to have metal detectors at all the malls, no weapons allowed, (but I bet I could get in there with a ball bat) and armed security....... but not enough security to protect all the shoppers.

The big problem is, it's easier to control the guns than it is to control the people. Guns can be de-activated, people cannot. (within reason) With the media slant on issues like the mall shooting, and gun control, statistics, and reason, all take a back seat to sensationalism.

(Still discussing) ;) .....do you really think that mall security could prevent a 17 year-old male from seriously injuring 8 people in any mall in this country? I think a boy that age could do serious damage to twice as many folks with a bat. Gunshots draw attention, the bat would be relatively quiet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay said:
T

(Still discussing) ;) .....do you really think that mall security could prevent a 17 year-old male from seriously injuring 8 people in any mall in this country? I think a boy that age could do serious damage to twice as many folks with a bat. Gunshots draw attention, the bat would be relatively quiet.
That's 13 total injured, and you have to get pretty close and personal to "activate" a baseball bat; and it's not going to be that quite. I keep going back to one of the biggest deterents of all; something very soon was going to happen to prevent him from commiting the crime repeatedly. Adult males stand a better chance of surviving a bat attack in a mall than an AK 47 attack.
If the 17 year old wanted to be in a gun fight very quickly, he would picked out a police station. He was looking for innocents; more should be legally armed.
That's gun control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts