National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shopping for a gun case to use for flying with my handgun and the guy at the store said TSA requires cases with integrated locks. I've never heard that, but I've also never flown with a firearm and can't find any definitive statements either way. I'm inclined to think this means he's misinformed, but I'd rather not show up at the airport with anything that's going to cause issues. Has anybody else heard anything like this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I read the requirement is that it be a locked hard sided case that can not be pried open easily. To me a pad lock would be sufficient
That's what I'm thinking too. The only detail the law specifies regarding locks is that I be the only one who can open it and TSA's website doesn't say anything beyond that.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
That's what I'm thinking too. The only detail the law specifies regarding locks is that I be the only one who can open it and TSA's website doesn't say anything beyond that.
But remember this is the TSA. Logic does not work here. The Constitution is only a suggestion. And, the rules are what they say they are at any given moment subject to change with out notice. Take a bus, drive, trains are nice, boats too, leave the sky to the birds and all those nasty green house gasses.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I was shopping for a gun case to use for flying with my handgun and the guy at the store said TSA requires cases with integrated locks. I've never heard that, but I've also never flown with a firearm and can't find any definitive statements either way. I'm inclined to think this means he's misinformed, but I'd rather not show up at the airport with anything that's going to cause issues. Has anybody else heard anything like this?
Its been several years since I last flew. But the plastic case that came with my pistol was accepted with a padlock. But with all the guns that have been stollen by the TSA I would opt for a two thousand pound safe.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
When I must transport a firearm by air I always use a Pelican case. Not only are they very secure, they can easily withstand the abuse handed out by baggage handlers. They come in a variety of sizes, are NOT inexpensive but are worth every penny.

·
Registered
582 Posts
+1 Pelican, i can't say how well they travel but mine gets banged around a lot. Around $200 but I figured it's worth it since I have about 5k laying inside.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I use a Nano vault with baggage cable. Remove you slide and mag and have the gun apart in your vault. Also 1 box of ammo in an original packaging. Lock it in your suit case .

When you get to the check in just tell them softly that you have a firearm declaration. they will check it and tag it and it is easy as that, $24 for the vault at GM link below.

GunVault Nano Vault 100 with Keyed Lock-430504 - Gander Mountain

·
On a Search For Truth
316 Posts
I say grab a liberty gun safe(like a 400lb one). For one reason, payback to the baggage handlers, try and throw that bit*h! That's what they get for years of crushing my cologne bottles! Nah, just kidding, I've herd great things about the pelican case.

Best of luck,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts