National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a general debate that if gun cabinets are necessary at all. My personal feeling is that, these cabinets are beautiful piece of artwork that keeps our guns safe from multiple threats. Do you agree?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
While I agree that they can be extremely beautiful pieces of artwork, anything that has a glass front does not protect from threats, a tw year old can defeat it's security. But, I do enjoy great craftsmanship. Security involves something that takes more than a couple minutes to breach. JMO

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Hi there! Personally I depend on a large safe. Gun cabinets are too easy to break into. However, if you have the right decor in a room, like mounts and hunting pictures etc., then a nice glass front cabinet with some old, well maintained rifles and shotguns really fits nicely.

Hey, why don't you stop by the new members area and introduce yourself.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There is a general debate that if gun cabinets are necessary at all. My personal feeling is that, these cabinets are beautiful piece of artwork that keeps our guns safe from multiple threats. Do you agree?:thumbsup:
If you live out in the country cabinets are nice to show but I prefer the security of a safe. I worry about fire and theft to much to have a cabinet for anything expensive.

Introduce yourself in the new members section before you proceed. We like to know who everyone is. Anyway Welcome!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
Build a vault. Put your gun cabnits in your vault. Problem solved.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
I have two big safes and a steel ammo locker. There is no way in Hell every gun I have will fit within that constriction. I have a wall cabinet with six lever rifles on the wall in my cave, and a locked closet upstairs that a determined buttcake with tools could spring in a minute.

I also have a rider on my homeowners policy for some serious money, and the insurance company guy said that I had things locked up well enough. I didn't get the discount, though.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Most security is meant to keep things safe from the smash 'n grab guys.

IMHO, display cabinets do not meet even that low threshold.

Wanting to display some guns is tempting, but not very smart.

·
Destroyer of Lawnmowers
512 Posts
They are convenient, keep the dust of your guns and display them nicely, but as previously stated, not that secure. They will however, keep an honest man honest.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,432 Posts
It is not honest men that cause me worry.

·
Destroyer of Lawnmowers
512 Posts
It is not honest men that cause me worry.
If they are already in your house you have a lot more to worry about. I lock my front door before I lock up my gun.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
I make sure that ammo for the guns in the cabinet are in the most secure place, but snit happens. I gotta live my life, and I love looking at history on the wall, as I smoke a cigar and type words of wisdom (more or less) to youse guys. Making sure that a burglar who has seized one of my weapons will not have ammo for it is the best I can do, and I can live with that just fine.

·
Destroyer of Lawnmowers
512 Posts
How many people who actually have something such as a safe or a locking rack actually lock it? I have a gunsafe and several locking racks, but unless I leave for a several day trip, the keys are in the locks on the rack and the safe isn't locked at all.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
If we're not in the safe, it is locked, even when we are sitting in the same room.

·
Gun Nut
1,599 Posts
How many people who actually have something such as a safe or a locking rack actually lock it? I have a gunsafe and several locking racks, but unless I leave for a several day trip, the keys are in the locks on the rack and the safe isn't locked at all.
I have a fire proof safe. I keep it locked at all times unless I am getting into it to figure out which weapons to take out shooting or showing someone something inside of it.

Granted my safe is packed right now and someday I will be buying a larger safe. A double door safe is what I would like to have but the $$$ is what will decide when the time comes.

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
That would be nice, I saw that when I posted, oh well. But there are times when I have to get quite a ways in there to get what I want.

·
Destroyer of Lawnmowers
512 Posts
I am more along the lines of Brewster with my firearm storage. For the longest time, we had guns in corners with a sock over the muzzle to protect them from wall-induced-abrasion. Now we have a jumble of racks, hooks, cabinets, a safe, and a upright rack built into my closet. Most of these don't lock and the ones the do, aren't locked. Like I said before, we lock up the house before we lock up everything inside of it.

·
Curmudgeon
4,379 Posts
Whatever has a lock on it gets locked when I am not right there with it. That includes the cigar cabinets too. I figure that most people would grab those before going for a bunch of unloaded guns. Like I posted before, I have been there, and in the event they took what they could carry easily, and didn't make such good choices either. When going out of town for an extended time I have sometimes taken the tastier pieces and pawned them, so that they would be somebody else's problem. If you act like an idiot (which comes naturally to me) they offer very little, and unless you live in Florida or another state with loose usury laws, all it costs is a few percent of a sharply reduced value. And if the shop loses them they are insured anyway. Cheap peace of mind to me.

·
Destroyer of Lawnmowers
512 Posts
I simply don't have enough locks. I also hate most of the gunlocks on the market. They force you to leave the gun in a undesirable state or damage the finish. But if I go out of town or have guests, what can get locked, does.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
My brother has 2 safes and a stay at home wife.

My stuff goes to his house when I'm out of town.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts