National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I’d share some reflection on guns & ammo before and after 2020 rolled in. I can remember not that long ago, maybe 6-9 months ago, following a thread about “what’s the best caliber for SHTF situation” or something to that effect. I am not even sure what forum it was. I heard a lot of .22LR, 9mm and 12ga, all of which were pretty widely available. And that right there was the general consensus, it’s widely available.

I have never really believed in limiting my options. I think those 3 should definitely be a staple in any collection, however, I also believe that it’s widely available and that means everyone has them. If everyone has them, they’ll probably dry up first. Then 2020 rolled in... and ammo flew off the shelves like it was penicillin and the Rona was the plague.

If I walk into the local gun shop today, 3 calibers will not be on the shelves, 22lr, 9mm and 12ga slugs (even target shot is scarce). Many other main stream calibers have dried up as well, .223, .308, .45 ACP to name a few. If you have $800 to shell out, they’ll sell you a crate of 1,600rds of .223, but that’s what you are limited to. As soon as the Rona started to die down, the riots started... and once again, ammo flew off the shelves and we are back to, if it’s a semi auto, you’d better be there when the shipment comes in or you’re sol.

Degenerates are burning businesses, homes, police stations and when you could use those rounds, they are hard to come by.

Now I keep a large variety of calibers on hand, lots of them and I’m reloading so I haven’t really been hurt by all this, even though reloading supplies have just about run dry, I always have something I can reload. I went into Cabela’s in St Louis on Friday night (only place within 2 hours to get 500 magnum bullets) and if you were reloading, you were pretty screwed. I got what I came for but only rifle primers left were Large Magnum Rifle (2 boxes) and 2x 1lb bottles of powder total. Fortunately, I keep 10lbs of powder on hand and a few thousand primers, and buy when I see it available, again, I wasn’t hurt too bad by this. I did however need small pistol primers and that sent me to Scheels. I think in total, I spent about $600 on reloading supplies last week.

I’m curious, after we have seen what the first 6 months of 2020 has brought us, has your position on what caliber(s) will be your go to when the SHTF or not? Has any of this changed your position at all on keeping stocked up? Will you stay stocked up when all this is over?

·
Jesus Saves
7,702 Posts
I used to have a pretty good stock of 9mm but then I gave my 9mm away....along with the ammo. Not so sorry about giving the handgun away, but the ammo too? I really did not think I'd get back to a 9mm and now I have only to find ammo is either non-existent or ridiculously overpriced. I'll wait it out; until then, I rely on other "stuff".

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I had this conversation with a friend yesterday who came out to shoot. His wife was sitting around while we were shooting hard hitting guns. I offered to let her shoot my new 380. He mentioned the 380 being so expensive to shoot. I told him there used to be a big gap between 9mm and 380. Not anymore. Last time I saw 9mm on the shelf, it was only $1 difference in price for a box of 50.

I almost forgot, I took my brother-in-law to Scheels with me a couple days ago. He was looking for 9mm. The cheapest they had was $36 for 50 rds. Needless to say I sent him home with a few hundred rounds of hand loads.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
I used to do a bit of competition shooting and reloading was a necessity when your shooting 500 - 1000 rounds a week in two different calibers. As I git busier with work and kids I stopped shooting to where I’d shoot 100 rounds a year. Now that they’re grown and on their own, I’m thinking of starting up again. I have a good inventory of ammo to where I could go a long time without buying any more but a few calibers are less than 200 rounds in stock. I don’t shoot .38/357 much so I have lots of brass and little loaded ammo. I also need Garand food so I’m going to get back up and running.
Now to your post: Ammo prices are up. Components are up and scarce. The stores shelves have some but never what you really want so you have to take what they’ve got. You want FMJ and they have LNR, you want semi wad cutters and they have hollow points. The solution is to reload and stock up on components after the panic buying dies down.

·
Live Free
2,752 Posts
The scenarios that have caused ammo and reloading supplies shortages this year, while unexpected as to specifics, should always be a potential at any time to the average American gun owner. Thus it is quite necessary to have a reserve of ammunition on hand and never shoot up the last of your ammo at the range, and always maintain a viable level of reloading components on hand. This is not the first time this has happened, and I doubt it will be the last. I am unaffected by the unavailability of ammo or reloading supplies...and I intend to sustain that level of preparedness.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
i have some caliber specific factory new ammunition sealed in 50 cal surplus cans...each can marked for id........this is a permanent inventory......break glass in case of emergency inventory.......i forgot the count, but you can put a lot of 5-rd boxes of 12 ga buck in an ammo can...and a fair amount of 38's and 22's as well.....and they remain in the box while in the can.....wasted space but just another step of protection of the ammo.....though i did line a couple of cans with plastic for loose ammo.

this ammo will never see the gun range, never used in competition, never hunted with...it has one purpose only......shth and only after i run out of the shelf ammo first.

if/when my kids inherit....i hope they do the same.

reloading is the best option to get thru tough supply times. There are a lot of not so main stream calibers of factory ammo that are in worse shape as they only make factory production runs once or twice a year it would seem.....

·
Aim true !
9,736 Posts
Im well stocked in ammo and supplies. I still want to get 5k of small and large pistol primers and 8 lbs of sport pistol. Then i'll have my pre election goal.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I took 2 weeks off starting Saturday so I started reloading night before last. By the time I get all this .40 S&W loaded I ought to have about 5,000 rds of it. I got 3 XD and XDMs that are chambered in it but I could use a couple more guns that shoot it just for variety, maybe a 1911. A little carbine would be pretty sweet. I still say it’s a seriously underestimated round. Now that I’ve found an inexpensive source for hollow points, even better. I got a neighbor says he has a couple thousand brass cases he’s willing to give away.

I also need to get a die set for 44 magnums. Not that I shoot them much but I only have 500 rds of 44 mag. That doesn’t take long to shoot off.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
did not know you was a fan of the 40.....lots of folks seem to have abandoned that caliber....which just makes buying the police trade-in 40's a lot cheaper.....

·
Aim true !
9,736 Posts
I wonder why they abandoned it? I think it's a nice round.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
the argument is the 9mm offers higher capacity and less recoil and less ammo costs in general.....and the propaganda of super tech bullets increasing the 9mm potential sealed the deal.......

less you are old school like my former sheriff.....he believed in old tech of a bigger and heavier bullet over super bullet technology.....besides, he hated the 9mm and did not trust it to do the job.....period....he hated glocks, 9mm, 357 sig, and was set in his ways.....well he was the boss.

probably the real truth of the matter.....a lot of depts change guns and calibers...as justifications for whatever reason....

and most depts and individual officers use the the fbi and atf as the benchmark on guns and/or calibers.......that way if there is a failure in the field, they can pass the buck with the claims that the feds ought to know what is best as they did the testing......

frankly, i would not trust the fed depts if they told me the sun was shining....i would have to look out the window to verify myself.

·
Jesus Saves
7,702 Posts
Yeah, I had this conversation with a friend yesterday who came out to shoot. His wife was sitting around while we were shooting hard hitting guns. I offered to let her shoot my new 380. He mentioned the 380 being so expensive to shoot. I told him there used to be a big gap between 9mm and 380. Not anymore. Last time I saw 9mm on the shelf, it was only $1 difference in price for a box of 50.

I almost forgot, I took my brother-in-law to Scheels with me a couple days ago. He was looking for 9mm. The cheapest they had was $36 for 50 rds. Needless to say I sent him home with a few hundred rounds of hand loads.
$36? GOUGE......

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Let’s not forget S&W nearly killed the .40 with law enforcement with some mass quantities of defective guns that were sold to police. Nothing says failure like when the sponsor of the cartridge can’t get it right. Since it was designed for law enforcement, that set it up to fall. The .40 packs some serious punch, 450lbs to close to 600 lbs of energy in off the shelf ammo.

Let it go out of style, ill keep buying the clearances guns at a massive discount. I paid under $350 each for my XDMs and $313 for my full size Xd Mod 2. I like those prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts