National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.0 shield 9mm is 1 month old and based on the wear it's not looking good for longevity. Is this normal wear??

Clickable thumbs

Also, here's how the rest of it is wearing.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Wear is more a function of round count than age. How many rounds did you put through it? It actually does look it may be abnormal.

Did you wipe off the oil for the pics? I don't see the light sheen of oil on the rails. Make sure your gun is clean and properly lubricated. Mass market guns are not fitted together. Parts will wear fit themselves some refer to this as breaking in. Some parts will wear to a certain point then stop or slow greatly. What you want to look for are gouges or wear on parts that shouldn't be worn. The guide rod ends do get chewed on some guns. I don't have enough rounds through my shields to compare effectively.

Your barrel hardly looks worn I've seen more wear on my guns dry firing them when new before they even see the range. I don't know the amount of experience you have or what you are expecting but some wear on guns is normal.

Reactions: Rivervalley0311

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
That wear is normal. It's nothing to be worried about. Just some wear in showing.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That nub is eating the plate where it connects to the rod on the other side. Slightly warping it as well. I’m going to dremel it flat.

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
Dremels and guns not a good combo. Use extreme caution you don't cut to much away. Personally i would keep shooting it. Let it break in more.

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
I’ve found the culprit, but not sure what to do. I dunno if smith will send another one of these or not without wanting to do the work themselves. You can see exactly where it is wearing.

What spot are you taking about that's wearing?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I have two Shields and I finally looked at my 9. I guess you are referring to the keyed slot on the takedown lever. If you think there's a high spot and it's bothering you I don't see any harm in taking a stone to it but that's a layman's observation as I am in no way a qualified gunsmith. The problem with using a Dremel is unless you are highly skilled you may create more problems. You may crater it out or leave and angled or uneven surface and I don't know what long term effects and problems may result. That surface should be flat so a light stoning should do the trick. A fine needle file may work too.

Reactions: Popeye

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
That nub is eating the plate where it connects to the rod on the other side. Slightly warping it as well. I’m going to dremel it flat.

iu-195.jpeg

Don't take a Dremel to your pistol, contact S&W to get it serviced or checked out.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
They may just replace it. It's like a $7.00 part.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Mine (Shield Guide Rod) Snapped Smith & Wesson Gladly Charged my Credit Card for a New one Then Gladly Charged My Credit Card for trigger spring that broke. Then I trade to a Hi Point and a boat load of reloading Supplies 6 months later Guy I traded to came back wanted the Hi Point Carbine back Go Figure. No I kept it but eh to each of his own sometimes them "New & Popular" garbage is just that

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
have witnessed one guide rod failure on an mp.....i would keep a close eye on it

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So when I bought this gun brand-spanking-new at the start of December one of the two mag Springs was bent sideways and weeks and I couldn't use the magazine and waited 2 weeks for Smith to send me another one. Now this Rod is being eaten up by the takedown lever and Smith response was send the gun to us. If I sent the gun to them they will have had the gun longer than I have had the gun and since I have purchased the gun I have only gotten to use it three weeks out of the month and a half I've owned it because of issues. I believe I'm going to move on from Smith if this is the way they're going to handle this and not send me a replacement take down lever and Rod. Here's the email response.

Screenshot_20200111-201924_Gmail.jpg

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
View attachment 109208

Don't take a Dremel to your pistol, contact S&W to get it serviced or checked out.
To takedown a burr? Lol. No. We are not filing a firing pin down here. That's rediculous, but I do want that rod replaced. So I wrote them..... Response above in the previous post. That's a no as well. Looks like I'll have to find another company to spend with. This gun has been a total disaster.

PS- as a welder and fabricator I spend more time cutting, melting, bending, filing, and heat treating metal in a week than a gunsmith does in a year. I don't have the tools to put something in spec so I wouldn't be interested in trying, but taking a burr down flat can be done in a jungle with a sharp rock by a 1 eyed aborigines.

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
So when I bought this gun brand-spanking-new at the start of December one of the two mag Springs was bent sideways and weeks and I couldn't use the magazine and waited 2 weeks for Smith to send me another one. Now this Rod is being eaten up by the takedown lever and Smith response was send the gun to us. If I sent the gun to them they will have had the gun longer than I have had the gun and since I have purchased the gun I have only gotten to use it three weeks out of the month and a half I've owned it because of issues. I believe I'm going to move on from Smith if this is the way they're going to handle this and not send me a replacement take down lever and Rod. Here's the email response.

View attachment 109664
They are offering you a chance to return it so they can determine what is wrong and fix it; so what's the problem? My 2.0 Compact has been flawless and I'll look for a deal to get another.

Reactions: QuickdrawMcgraw

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,923 Posts
Just shoot your gun.

·
Aim true !
10,332 Posts
I had a sdve series that was not locking open or locking open before last round fired. Yeah i forget what exactly it was doing. But anyways it took them along time till i got it back. It worked for a bit then started doing the same thing again. Traded both my sdve's even up for a RIA 1911 TAC series. And a box of ammo in the deal. Sold the muzzle break too then.
DSCF8017.JPG

1 - 20 of 22 Posts