National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked one of these up today. Take it home in 3 days. GSG Firefly .22LR. One of the clerks at the gun counter said she had one and loved it. Interestingly has a die cast magazine, but only has 1. Also has a decocking lever. $177.60 was worth the chance. Comfortable to hold, threaded barrel. Looks to be a German import by American Tactical.

2ACDF62A-C0FA-4C81-A855-80F2349562BA.jpeg

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am an interested in doing a side by side comparison with the S&W .22 Compact.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Interested to see what you think of it. Been eyeing one at the LGS I frequent, just haven't had the extra funds lately.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will. I have so many reviews backed up because of the weather it isn’t even funny. I have bought 7-8 guns since January. I was so looking forward to the 60 degrees on Sunday and there was like a 35 mph wind. No filming in that, you wouldn’t be able to hear me over the wind. Looking at 4 days of rain this week. I’ve got some of those water balloon bunches that fill up like 100 water balloons at a time. May use those for the .22s since they are small targets and lots of them.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Dec 29, 2018

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am an interested in doing a side by side comparison with the S&W .22 Compact.
These are the two .22's that I have and my son and I shoot them every range trip.I prefer the feel of the S&W and he likes the Firefly/Mosquito better. For me, the S&W eats a better variety of ammo that I've had on-hand, whereas the Firefly seems to prefer the CCI Mini mag. I mostly buy CCI mini mags now for both. The firefly would FTF/FTE quite often with some other ammo. It will also FTF/FTE some after a few hundred rounds, especially if it wasn't cleaned good after the last range visit. But we like and shoot them both. You can pick up magazines online. I think I have 10 for each of them. The problem with that is you go through a whole box of ammo very quickly when all mags are loaded. Cool plinkers.

·
Live Free
2,875 Posts
If I understand correct, I think it’s just been renamed.
Yeah, I think that is the gist of it. Same company making the Gun, just not putting the Sig brand on them anymore. I understand the Firefly likes high vel ammo just the same too...doesn’t function real well without it. The gun has some mixed reviews, but lots of people enjoy them. Hope yours runs good!

·
Live Free
2,875 Posts
These are the two .22's that I have and my son and I shoot them every range trip.I prefer the feel of the S&W and he likes the Firefly/Mosquito better. For me, the S&W eats a better variety of ammo that I've had on-hand, whereas the Firefly seems to prefer the CCI Mini mag. I mostly buy CCI mini mags now for both. The firefly would FTF/FTE quite often with some other ammo. It will also FTF/FTE some after a few hundred rounds, especially if it wasn't cleaned good after the last range visit. But we like and shoot them both. You can pick up magazines online. I think I have 10 for each of them. The problem with that is you go through a whole box of ammo very quickly when all mags are loaded. Cool plinkers.
Good info!

welcome to NGF!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me, the S&W eats a better variety of ammo that I've had on-hand, whereas the Firefly seems to prefer the CCI Mini mag. I mostly buy CCI mini mags now for both. The firefly would FTF/FTE quite often with some other ammo.
Its funny you say that. I watched another review last night and the reviewer said exactly the opposite. CCI mini mags functioned extremely poorly but when he switched to Remington Thunderbolts, it ran perfectly with only a few hiccups every 500 rds. It will be interesting to see how this one runs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If I understand correct, I think it’s just been renamed.
Renamed and rebranded. From what I've read, GSG originally made the Mosquito for Sig, and with the mosquito discontinued, they're now making it under their own brand, renaming it the Firefly. Same gun, same manufacturer, different labels.

A friend of mine used to have a Mosquito, didn't seem to have any trouble with ammo selection, but we never bothered trying it with sub-sonic ammo ar anything like that.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok for my first impressions. First, I’ve held very few guns more comfortable in the hand. It’s heavy compared to the S&W but not inappropriate for a practice gun. Additional weight is a plus in my book because this is not a good carry option but a nice practice/plinking gun. Weight makes it stable and easy to change direction because it’s weight is in the hand grip and not too heavy out on the barrel.

I pulled it straight from the box, fire 2 shots to ensure functionality and then dumped a mag as fast as I could pull the trigger. Round 9 didn’t go off. I ejected and finished the mag. When I looked at the round I ejected, it was a really light strike. Gun was pretty dry so I’m going to say that was the slide not fully returning due to lack of lubrication. I am using Remington Thunderbolts. I’ll try a bigger variety when I get a chance. Those were just sitting on the kitchen table when I got home.

The trigger in double action is atrocious. It’s down right horrible. I don’t have a tool here to measure but it say close to 15lb pull. You can feel the plastic trigger flex when you pull it, even after oil. There is no good reason for a .22 to have a trigger that heavy. In single action, where 99% of shots will be fired from, it was quite light and pleasant. I actually played quite a bit with it in the house. Very easy to keep on target all the way through the break. Props for that.

The hammer. The hammer spring it quite heavy and causes unnecessary drag on the slide. I think it could be lightened a bit and maybe not cause as many issues with ammo choices. I’m sure the surfaces will smooth a bit under use and help that a little. I thought about just removing the hammer and polishing it smooth. I don’t care too much that the hammer doesn’t seat into the slide after fire. It springs back to a partial cock position like my Bond derringer. I like the way Springfield did it on the XDE much better. When fired on an empty cylinder, it’s all the way forward, when chambered and decocked, it’s in a partial cock/drop safe position.

Controls... slide release is smooth and easy to reach. Decocking lever in a little bit of a reach. The safety is above the slide release (which protrudes quite a bit) so it’s not easy to get to.

The takedown lever is nice but doesn’t function the same as most. It’s 180 degree turn with the slide in the forward position. Took me a sec to figure that out.

I like the green dot sights for aiming but not the plastic construction. Since I have no real intentions of carrying this thing holstered much it’s not a huge deal but I could see having issues with holsters. It came with a second front sight so I’m guessing someone thought it would be a problem.

Overall, it’s a nice gun, especially for what I paid. Really pleasant to shoot. I’ll know more when it quits raining and I can shoot some more. Threaded barrel is a bit goofy but I guess if you put a suppressor on it, it would be pretty darn quiet if it functions with subsonic rounds.

Id like to know where to get cheap mags. Lowest I could find was $22. One mag just won’t do. It’s like trying to eat just one potato chip.

For reference, the S&W.22 Compact I’ll be comparing it to later on came in at $289. The Firefly was $177.

·
Live Free
2,875 Posts
Thanks for the report! The heavy trigger validates another report I read somewhere, except they thought the SA pull was way too heavy as well, something like 15DA/7SA. I wondered if the triggers could be smoothed out a bit by way of lightening up a little on springs and maybe polishing a bit, but it sounds like you had one light strike already (maybe just needing clean and lube) so I would want to run it some to see how it runs over a larger quantity of ammo. Possibly the hammer spring tension is high trying to overcome a design deficiency from too light or too short of hammer that cannot really fire effectively without being snapped real hard (just speculating because this has been a symptom forever with these guns). Hopefully you can find economical mags for it too.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bother came by with his kids. He brought his S&W 22 compact so I got out mine and the Firefly. We ran about 200rd through the Firefly using Win, Rem and a bag full of random ammo he brought. It ran flawless. Was able to make target contact 18 of 20 shots all the way back at at the 75 yard mark. I was not able to do that with the S&W. I think the S&W sights needed to be adjusted. We had no problems with either until I opened the armscor .22lr. There was at least one miss feed every mag. When I inspected the ammo, there was a tacky wax-like substance all over the armscor ammo. All 3 boxes were like that. I think it was enough of a stickiness to cause it not to function properly. I have decided to buy another when it becomes available. The gun has its pitfalls, 1 mag, horrible double action trigger and all but for sub $200, it’s not a bad gun.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have my Firefly about a month now, only fired it so far with CCI Mini mags because of state lockdown. I had 3 eject fails and one chamber fail out of 100 rounds, gun cleaned and re-oiled before first use. Only dislike is the smoothness of the grip,

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have my Firefly about a month now, only fired it so far with CCI Mini mags because of state lockdown. I had 3 eject fails and one chamber fail out of 100 rounds, gun cleaned and re-oiled before first use. Only dislike is the smoothness of the grip,
That goes inline with another reviewer’s post. He switched to Remington Thunderbolts and problem solved. I fired a majority of Winchester yesterday with a mix of others but no CCI that I was aware of.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I went ahead and bought another one of these. Kids really like the one I already have. I picked up 2 additional mags at Scheels clearanced out for like $9 a little while back so there is at least 2 mags per gun now. Those were still branded Sig Mosquito, probably why they were clearanced.
I just realized when posting the pic that there’s no threaded barrel on this one. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,903 Posts
This one is a better looking gun. Isn’t it funny how is shooters will go from running a .22 to big bores and then turn back around a few months later and go back to the .22’s? I’ve always been a .22 fan over most other guns. I’ll pick one up every time I seen a good deal. I never pass one up. Consequently, I now have a bunch of different .22’s.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts