National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Aim true !
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw them when i checked my barrel after cleaning today with my eyes and a bore light. It promped me to get the bore scope out. The whole bore is like this....
Natural material Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Silver

Automotive lighting Tin Wood Gas Rim

Automotive lighting Rim Gas Tints and shades Silver

·
Super Moderator
6,069 Posts
Wait, is that on the inside of the barrel?!

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
Is that the new ‘vibrating bullet’ plus normal twist rate developed by Ruger? (Just kidding)

I’ll bet you Ruger will give you a new revolver

here‘s some interesting stuff I found on the inter web:
- Ruger double-action .38 / .357s, Security Six, Police Service Six, Speed Six, GP100 and SP101 are 18-3/4” twist, as are S&W. Reason Ruger went with 18-3/4 inch twist on the DAs is because this is the pitch on the rifling broach cutters and there is only one company that makes them. The 18-3/4 twist gives better accuracy with the lighter +P jacketed loads, 110-125 grain. which most people shoot. For good 50-yard grouping with wadcutters you may need to drive bullets a bit faster than factory to maintain stability.

·
Registered
16,915 Posts
Are you talking about the lines in the grooves? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that before but they look sort of even. I'm wondering if they are supposed to be there because of the tooling process? Chatter marks usually don't look that even. There is a bunch of different ways rifling is cut. I would still call and find out for sure though.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
SOUTHPORT, CONNECTICUT— Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.
“You‘ve heard of jacketed hollow point (JHP) ammunition… this gun is set up for the new jacketed chatter point (JCP) ammunition being developed by Hornady“ says Ruger representative Walter “Shaky” Stevens. “Bullets from the SP101 wobble (but won’t fall down) and create large wound cavity by bouncing up and down (as it did in the barrel).” Shaky went on to say the target needs to be at least as large as a barn.

While Ruger plans to announce the new barrel design and yet-to-be released ammunition at the 2027 Shot Show… they are test marketing the revolver in selected markets, like Pennsylvania.

·
Aim true !
13,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They got back to me. Sounds like i have to send it in on my dime. The gun was made in 2019.
It is Rugers practice to return all aspects of the firearm that may affect safety and integrity (fire control, trigger pull, receiver, barrel, etc.) to factory specifications. Please provide permission to bring the firearm back to factory specifications. No repair will be performed if we are unable to return these aspect to factory specifications.

Please be advised if your firearm is over two years old and if you find that UPS or FedEx is too costly to send in your firearm, we would be happy to sell you a shipping label for $45.00.
Im going to bench shoot some of my other revolvers with a 4 inch barrell and compare groupings. Some one on the Ruger group said those marks will ''shoot'' out over time too.

·
AZHerper
5,922 Posts
They got back to me. Sounds like i have to send it in on my dime. The gun was made in 2019.
It is Rugers practice to return all aspects of the firearm that may affect safety and integrity (fire control, trigger pull, receiver, barrel, etc.) to factory specifications. Please provide permission to bring the firearm back to factory specifications. No repair will be performed if we are unable to return these aspect to factory specifications.

Please be advised if your firearm is over two years old and if you find that UPS or FedEx is too costly to send in your firearm, we would be happy to sell you a shipping label for $45.00.
Im going to bench shoot some of my other revolvers with a 4 inch barrell and compare groupings. Some one on the Ruger group said those marks will ''shoot'' out over time too.
If it were me, I'd send it back. This matter has caused consternation and 45 bucks is cheap for peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts