National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any data for green dot in my books. For 357 158 grain swc. Im thinking 5 grains would be a safe start. Anyone else try G.D for 357 ? I loaded some today with unique. But i only have 8 and 1/2 pounds of it. And i like for my 44 mag. I have 24 lbs of G.D though. Thanks Al.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I used to load shotshells and used the Hercules dots. I don't remember loading any handgun loads though. It is a relatively fast burning powder, faster than Unique so you need to be careful if you're experimenting.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just checked the current Alliant manual, they do not list Green Dot for any 38 Cal loads, none. If the powder mfg doesn't list it don't use it. Bad idea all around.

Mike

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some times you have to think outside of the box. I made a good guess on starting charge. I cross posted my question on castboolets.

·
AZHerper
3,856 Posts
Green dot is a bit fast for my tastes but the only lead bullets that I was loading were 200 grain 45 cal LSW's from Enchantment Bullets in Tijeras, NM. They used a great blue lube that looked kind of like crayon. I would load those 45's for my 1911 to around 1,100 fps with very little leading. They're no longer in business but "que lastima". I guess that all good things must end.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Green dot is a bit fast for my tastes but the only lead bullets that I was loading were 200 grain 45 cal LSW's from Enchantment Bullets in Tijeras, NM. They used a great blue lube that looked kind of like crayon. I would load those 45's for my 1911 to around 1,100 fps with very little leading. They're no longer in business but "que lastima". I guess that all good things must end.
For that reason I try to patronize companies that I like or like their products. I mention them to others in hopes they like their products and philosophies too. I want them to stay in business. I do my fair share of bargain shopping but getting the cheapest available is not always the best deal all the way around, I find something I like and generally stick with it. There's something to be said about customer loyalty. It goes both ways as long as I get treated right too.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Live Free
2,998 Posts
Alliant does not list any loads either. Hard to say how well it might work. They do list data for .44 Mag, .45 Colt and .45 ACP all lead bullet loads. Personally, I would avoid it. It is a rather fast burning powder...which means you can get into trouble pretty easy and quickly without data.

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
I've used all 3 dot powders for loading 38's and .357's with good results. My data shows 5.4-6 grains for 158 lead and 6.3-7 grains for jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
by the burn rate......GREEN DOT is just a tad slower compared to BULLSEYE and RED DOT.....but still too fast for my taste with the 357.
i would treat it similar to BULLSEYE. ....i would prefer UNIQUE as its in my comfort zone with the 357.....but in these interesting times, i guess we have to work with what we got..

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to load some tonight. At 5 and chrono them then. Along with my unique loads.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
load expiriments.........sounds like a good excuse for a redhawk.......... ;)

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to run em though my GP100.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did alot of experimenting with Alliant sport pistol in the past. All worked out well. Since then there is more data on it. Speers newest book has data in it for S.P too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You'll have to go back to old manuals to find shotshell powder data for pistol cartridges. Most of the industry decided a decade or two ago that it simply cost too much to test pistol and shotgun powders in metallic cartridges, so they would no longer mix the powders. All you get now in pistol loads are pistol powders. Get some manuals from the 60s or 70s.
Green Dot is great for .38 Spl and .45 Auto.
If I had the issue (and don't do ANYTHING I would do), I would use Red Dot data as a starting point. As long as the bullet exits the barrel, you can work up the load.
Of course, you could also simply go with a powder that you DO have data for.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weather is looking good the next 2 days. I'll be testing my loads.

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tested my loads today. Ran a cylinder through at some cans 1st. To be sure they were accurate enough i wouldn't shoot my chrono. The 1st ones i ran. Where what i loaded with 6 grains of unique. the numbers are 1044,1069,1063,1057 ,1060. and 1058.

The green dot loads at 5 grains were 908,897,933,958,898 and 913.
Very mild recoil too. So i have some room.

Reactions: gvaldeg1 and deputy

·
AZHerper
3,856 Posts
Tested my loads today. Ran a cylinder through at some cans 1st. To be sure they were accurate enough i wouldn't shoot my chrono. The 1st ones i ran. Where what i loaded with 6 grains of unique. the numbers are 1044,1069,1063,1057 ,1060. and 1058.

The green dot loads at 5 grains were 908,897,933,958,898 and 913.
Very mild recoil too. So i have some room.
What type and weight bullet?

·
Aim true !
10,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reactions: gvaldeg1
1 - 20 of 23 Posts