National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Aim true !
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved my ammo shelf. And when putting the ammo back on. One flat of my 45's are corroded. It might have had some water in the flat? I pick up ones people discard. This one i may have had to clean dirt off. And it wasn't dry completely. So should i pull them? Or clean them up and shoot them? Some are green around the primer too.

·
Aim true !
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks. (y)

·
Registered
14,071 Posts
Th owner on my LGS recently told me he found some pistol ammo in a tray of water next to one of his sheds. He thinks he accidentally left it there a year ago. For fun he decided to try a couple and they fired so he tried more and they all ended up firing. I was a bit amazed that he didn't have any misfires or squibs.

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
I had a handful of corroded rounds a while ago. I mist some bright bore over them and wiped them off with a rag to keep that crap out of my chamber and fired them. If you do have one that doesn’t fire, give it a full 60 seconds in case of delayed fire. If moisture did happen to get inside, the powder and primer can be unpredictable.

·
Aim true !
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I threw them in the tumbler before i went out shooting today. I'll check on them when i take my gear up. Nice day here. I shot the 44 mag rifle and the SW victory.

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
It’s cold and bitter out here. I threw on the arctic gear and took the Henry 357 out back. It was shooting 6” right at 50 (consistent but off). Brought a brass punch and hammer out with me and got the front sight drifted to the correct windage.

·
Aim true !
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They cleaned up good. But some of the brass is permanently tarnished. Like a brownish grey. Where the corrosion was. I'll run em this week.

·
Premium Member
2,792 Posts
Yeah, I have some that are polished bronze color from being exposed to the weather. As long as they aren’t pitted or damaged I use them anyway.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I threw them in the tumbler before i went out shooting today. I'll check on them when i take my gear up. Nice day here. I shot the 44 mag rifle and the SW victory.
Any day at the range is better than the best day at work. BUT pay day at work comes pretty close to range day. ;-)

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
Years ago I found a 38 spl round in the road out at the ranch. It had been there a while in whatever weather South Texas had to offer for who knows how many years. It had been run over enough times to dent the brass case considerably as well... with my leatherman I worked the round into my Blackhawk, and low and behold it fired and kicked up dust just fine. Properly constructed ammo is hard to destroy. It can be made less then perfect but it'll usually fire if everything is tight.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
I've also fired 22 lr ammo that had been submerged in water.

Now, I would be VERY careful if firing damaged ammo in anything but single shot mode. One could squib on you and the next one could make a mess.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,530 Posts
For common verdigris I just wipe it off and carry on.

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had some 22lr ammo in my pocket. It made a trip through the washer. And it still fired.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Years ago I found a 38 spl round in the road out at the ranch. It had been there a while in whatever weather South Texas had to offer for who knows how many years. It had been run over enough times to dent the brass case considerably as well... with my leatherman I worked the round into my Blackhawk, and low and behold it fired and kicked up dust just fine. Properly constructed ammo is hard to destroy. It can be made less then perfect but it'll usually fire if everything is tight.

Alan
Just about all my rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo was reloaded by me 10-15 years ago. Which is a good thing since I no longer have a place to set up my presses. Still a squib is a very rare event when I do have an opportunity shoot any of my guns.

Some of my 7x57 Mauser military ammo was loaded during the FIRST World War. I gave all of that stuff to ammo collectors because most of the head stamps were quite unusual. Every one I tried, shot just fine 100 years after it was loaded.
Roy

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
357 Posts
Tumbling rounds is not uncommon, but it breaks down the powder. If i do, i limit it to ten mins.

·
Aim true !
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going to pull one. And compare the powder. To powder out of the bottle. I tumbled it for a few hours.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Aim true !
11,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Powder looks fine. I also weighed a dipper full. Against powder out of the bottle. Both were .02 grains apart.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
357 Posts
I’m not sure what powder you use, but some are more susceptible. Larger flakes tend to break up. Some are thinner as well. I only use Lovex Clean Shot (explosia) d32-03 which are micro balls so they can’t break down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts