National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which is to say, I finally finished paying off one I had on layaway. I got it new, very new, still wrapped in plastic with factory rust preventative and everything. I opted for the 10mm because I'd never shot a 10mm and the round has interested me since I first learned of it. I took it out the the pistol range yesterday afternoon and put a box of 50 through it.

It's a great gun overall, but it had it's share of hangups, 1 out of every 10 rounds or so would get hung up when feeding so the slide would not fully return to battery. I am operating under the assumption that this was caused by a mix of the gun needing to be broken in and my use of cheap, poorly manufactured ammo (Handgun Line 180gr). Other than that, it was a blast to shoot (no pun intended... ok maybe it was).

Here are some pics of the gun, a sleek looking piece in it's own right.
20200119_201014.jpg 20200119_200930.jpg 20200119_200903.jpg 20200119_200831.jpg

Full rail, bull barrel, factory night sights, rear sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation, skeletonized hammer and trigger. It would make a solid entry level comp pistol, assuming the hickups get ironed out through the break-in. Put it all together and it's a tack driver for sure, here's a pic of my final grouping:

20200119_162934.jpg

11 shots total at 15 yards in chilly weather, I was impressed with it. I also took a few shots at a 40-ish yard target stump, not enough to get a grouping, but enough to know it was very much useable at that range.

Anyway, I think this is long-winded enough. Any input or advice on facilitating a smooth break-in process with these guns would be appreciated.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Congrats on the rock:thumbsup:. Keep on breaking er' in. I love my rocks.
DSCF8350.JPG

Reactions: Kobs and ArthAnsgar

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to get a stainless ruger, but got talked in to this one, I'm happy with the decision. Ruger is great, but when it comes to 1911's, they aren't really doing anything that everyone else isn't. The fact I can get an up-tuned model for the price of a base model from any other brand is reason enough to go with RIA. Thinking about getting a baby rock for my wife, she handled one at the LGS and really liked how it fit her hand.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
It took me some time to get used to my baby rock. The trick i found to shoot it accurately for me was to use the middle pad on my finger.

Reactions: ArthAnsgar

·
Live Free
2,873 Posts
I like my RIA 10mm. Good shooting pistol. Gotta clean them good when they are new; they are full of preservative.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,460 Posts
Nice 1911 Arth, love the "tactical" look :lol:

Had a Sig that looked like that :wink:

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Yeah shoot it some more, 50 rounds isnt nearly enough to judge a few hangups. Most people say shoot 300-500 and then see how reliable it is.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly intend to. I don't think it's an issue with reliability so much as just needing to be broken in.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Nice needs a double stack 14 round magazine for me

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't care for the double stack 1911's, too much bulk in the grip for me and I think it throws the balance off.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update, it seems the feeding issues were, at least in part, caused by the PPU ammo I got last time. Picked up some Magtech today and went through the box without a single hangup. Probably order some Sellier & Bellot (my preferred brand) and see how that does.

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts