National Gun Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AWR HAWKINS
9 Jan 2020

Sen. Steve Daines (R-MT) introduced legislation to protect Americans with guns traveling state to state.

The other senators involved with the legislation are James Lankford (R-OK) and Mike Rounds (R-SD).

The legislation bolsters the Firearm Owners Protection Act by adding protections for Americans who cross state lines from gun-friendly states to states that are less-gun friendly. To that end, the legislation seeks to ensure that law-abiding gun owners are not arrested for violation of local laws that center upon “the possession, transportation, or carrying of firearms.”

There would be exceptions to the protection, as in a case where law enforcement has “probable cause.” But otherwise, the legislation seeks to lessen the hoops through which a law-abiding citizen must jump in order to travel with a gun.

Daines said, “This is about protecting law abiding gun owners and their right to safely transport their firearms. Montanans want their 2nd Amendment rights protected and that’s what I’m fighting for.”

NRA-ILA executive director Jason Ouimet said:

Law-abiding Americans traveling with unloaded, secured firearms have continually been harassed with malicious arrests and prosecutions when traveling through anti-gun jurisdictions. Senator Daines’ legislation ensures such outrageous actions will no longer be tolerated under the law. On behalf of the NRA’s five million members, we thank Senator Daines for having the legislative courage to stand and fight against local bullies who were hoping to suppress our Second Amendment rights.​

Daines’ pro-gun efforts are joined by Sens. Ted Cruz (R-TX), Mike Crapo (R-ID), James Lankford (R-OK), and Mike Rounds (R-SD).

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/01/09/gop-senator-introduces-federal-protections-travelers-guns/

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
And I thought there were already Federal laws covering the transport of Firearms, silly me.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jan 9, 2020

HELENA - A new bill was announced addressing the Firearm Owners Protection Act, with a focus on protecting travelers who bring firearms across state lines.

The bill will clarify the term transport to include staying in temporary lodging overnight, stopping for food, fuel, and vehicle maintenance to name a few.

It will also ensure that law-abiding gun owners will not be arrested for violating local laws when it comes to the possession, transportation, or carrying of firearms, unless there is probable cause.

Senator Steve Daines introduced the new bill and had this to say about his motivation behind it:

"This is about protecting law-abiding gun owners and their right to safely transport their firearms.

"Montanans want their 2nd Amendment rights protected and that's what I'm fighting for,” Senator Steve Daines said.

Senator Daines’ new bill will put the burden of proving travelers who did not meet transportation requirements on other states and will clarify that transportation of firearms, their magazines, and ammunition is federally protected.

The bill will also address that a violation of the right to transport firearms is enforceable as a Federal Civil Right.

https://www.kulr8.com/regional/new-bill-introduced-to-protect-montanan-s-second-amendment-rights/article_90e7b69b-ebff-528d-8cb5-e00efbca000c.html

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
So we need a law to address a law that we already have on the books? Still wont do no good if states ignore the law and make up other laws to go round that law. Well done. This is not getting to the problem. Problem is democratic politicians who, and state judges who rule these laws are ok - while getting paid off, go against the Constitution should and must be brought up on charges. Stop playing games and do the job you were sent there for, protect the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Connecticut already has a law that which anyone who brings a firearm that magically turns into an "assault firearm/weapon" or a banned firearm when crossing the border of Connecticut if found will be arrested. This goes for magazines over 10 rounds, out of staters buying ammunition or magazines, and people who don't have a non-resident "permit" to carry. This law if passed will do nothing here. Connecticut will ignore it.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
And I thought there were already Federal laws covering the transport of Firearms, silly me.

Try driving through NY or one of the many other states that have assault weapons laws or magazine laws with an AR going to a 3 gun match. It's people like that who this law is intended to protect. With that said even with the new law the police could say something like they were transporting it to sell illegally, arrest you and then you would have to prove your innocence. What needs to be done is get rid of these silly restrictive state laws.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Well it's a start I suppose, but I'll reserve judgement until...."to safely transport their firearms"....is defined.

A loaded firearm not on my person or within arms reach inside my vehicle may as well be a rock. Locked in a box under the seat or in the trunk of car does zero for me or my family's safety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts