National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I'm New to owning Firearms. I've shot them before and have been trained to use them but as far as the lingo goes I'm pretty well lost. To get to the point, I am looking to buy a Low cost Reliable Handgun that carries a mighty punch. I basically want it to take to the Range on base and also for protection from Wildlife (Grizzly's, Black bear and Cougar) when i go camping. What are your suggestions for something in the $300-$400 range?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
I grew up in the middle of the woods in Maine and in Virginia. By the middle of the woods, I mean, if we shot a .30-06 rifle in our front yard the neighbors couldn't hear it.

A bear will not bother you so long as you do nothing stupid. Study them and learn their habits.

If a big cat wants to get you, you will know nothing about it until you are got.

A handgun (any of them) is a pathetically underpowered weapon when compared to a long gun. I would expect no handgun to stop a large animal or even to give it much of a pause.

When I am in the woods I worry much more about thin skinned two legged varmints (people) than I worry about animals.

New handguns that fulfill your peramaters are

Charter Arms Bulldog, .44 Special
Armscorp 1911A1, .45 ACP

The used handgun market is full of weapons whos' calibers begin with a "4" (.41 Mag, .44 Special, .44 Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, etc., etc.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, yea. Thanks though I'll Definitely check em out. Guess it is kind of ignorant to think I am going to stand a chance against one of those things, but still the gun would give me an illusion of security.

·
super noob
2,037 Posts
How cheep are we talking? Id say go with a big bullet that has alot of penetration, like a .44mag. IF thats not big enough the 454 casull or the 460. But none of them are cheep, unless you get lucky with a used peice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would get bear spray for the bears and would go with the Taurus Judge for all around outdoor protection. This will also doubel as a good carry gun to keep in the car or next to the bed. Keep both the spray and gun easy access at all times (somewhere on your waist with good holster that is easy to draw under pressure). Like said before bear usually will not be an issue but you can still find yourself face to face with one by accident and/or if you have food not properly stored at the campground. But the spray will be a good defense, and the Judge will be good back up and a correctly placed shot with the right load can stop a bear. The judge also will good for scaring a big cat if you see it first and shooting it off of you if you didn't see it first. Can also be used towards snakes and most other hazards in the wild. THe 2 1/2" chamber Judges can be bought new for A $430-450 range if you look hard and the 3" for a little over $500. But keep an open eye online, local ads, and at gun shows and you can probably find one at $400. Hope I helped.

·
Knowledge Seeker
1,400 Posts
FS if you are new to guns, then i don't really think you want to start off with a BearKiller Caliber. But a .45acp is a good all around caliber. Might take a few shots to kill a bear but most anything else on two legs or four will drop hard with good shot placement. However a .45 not that great for everyone to stary with so I'd suggest a .357magnum revolver loaded with .38 Specials to start with or a 9mm pistol. Work your way up to BearKiller level calibers. I know if sumone had of given me a .44magnum to start with, I'd prolly have stuck with my shotgun. :yikes1:

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I am going to have to agree with Popeye for the most part. But that said, most "experts" agree that the smallest caliber for any large game is a .357 mag with at least a 6 inch barrel.

You can pick up a decent wheel gun for between three and five hundred.

I am not a fan of spray. It is not going to stop a determined animal. If it wants you, spray is not going to stop it.

learn the animals in your area, learn their habits, and try to make yourself a hard target. If you encounter a bear, don't run, back away slowly, drop your pack, and maintain a non threatening posture. Don't shoot first. If the above tactic does not work, then you may have to shoot it. But be advised, it will likely survive multiple shots from any firearm you can carry on your hip.

Ive been brown bear hunting, they are tough animals. I have heard stories of big bears that took two 250 gr .338s and covered almost 200 yards before they drowned on their own blood.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
Sounds like the game are trying to make you become Grizzly Bear Sh!t so they don't! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts