National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
5,082 Posts
I have heard many many owners brag on a leupold 3x9 ..40 ...on their 30-30 levers
and I would search for that....they have "some" $200 range...and many classify such
rig as a "hog" gun etc....so yes...you can find a good knock around glass
but will be a good $200 or better with mounts and all...

Best of luck..

1shot

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The good thing is I already have mounts and a scope, but the scope is some Kmart thing, it's low power and the crosshairs are blurry, what I'd do is keep the mount and trash the scope (maybe put it on my pellet gun).

·
5,082 Posts
The good thing is I already have mounts and a scope, but the scope is some Kmart thing, it's low power and the crosshairs are blurry, what I'd do is keep the mount and trash the scope (maybe put it on my pellet gun).

I understand...having mounts/rings etc..is good ! Just get something to fit them as I am
sure you know...

Now...best glass is best glass...I have weaver on my "kill machine" Model 70 25-06...

But...for a hog gun or 30-30 lever for a deer hunt...I will take a beating for this and I
am not telling you this because I myself am broke and would do it...

But..since they have done some improvements AND offer some lifetime warranties
now....you can look at BSA or similar lines....and not the lowest of the lines either...$

I hope I don't get killed for suggesting a NEW BSA...but..I have heard they are indeed
better...and I am trying to stay at YOUR budget...

I just mean...seems I would take a NEW warranted such scope per your price range..than
chance a used one for same money...etc..

good luck...

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,986 Posts
I have a Marlin lever-action 30-30 I'm hoping to hunt whitetails with this season and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good scope, my price range is about $80-$160.
Since the .30-30 out of a lever action rifle is, MAX, a 150 yard round I suggest you use your iron sights and keep your shots within 90 yards. I also suggest you save your money until you have two or three time the amount you have budgeted now and purchase a good scope.

None of my lever action rifles wears a scope.

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My 336 is topped with a 2 power BSA pistol scope on an XS sight base, been that way for 10 years, bounced around and drug through brush, dropped once or twice and still holds zero, maybe not as clear as the Nikon I have on the Contender but perfectly good for what I use it for. Cost me $30 on sale at Midwayusa.

·
5,082 Posts
My 336 is topped with a 2 power BSA pistol scope on an XS sight base, been that way for 10 years, bounced around and drug through brush, dropped once or twice and still holds zero, maybe not as clear as the Nikon I have on the Contender but perfectly good for what I use it for. Cost me $30 on sale at Midwayusa.
:thumbsup: Good input enzelow...thanks..

If not using open sights as Popeye said (normal enough for many at 100 yds )..then
what you report is similar to what I thought...

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Since the .30-30 out of a lever action rifle is, MAX, a 150 yard round I suggest you use your iron sights and keep your shots within 90 yards. I also suggest you save your money until you have two or three time the amount you have budgeted now and purchase a good scope.

None of my lever action rifles wears a scope.
I got to agree with Popeye on this. My 30-30, .44, .357 lever guns do not wear scopes. All are 100 yard or so guns and even with my old eyes I do pretty well with open iron sights. Wanted to add that neither does my Marlin 45-70 govt. lever gun.

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have a Savage 99 lever action that will never see a scope while im alive , the iron works just fine for shorter distances . On the other hand ( Ill get yelled at just like 1shot1kill ) there are scopes out there in your price range that will serve the purpose untill you can afford to lay down $500.00 or more for quality optics .

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also hunt with a Marlin lever-action 30-30 and have taken all but one deer with it. I am going to upgrade the Simmons scope on it before next season and am researching scopes in the $100 range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When my eyes were much younger I used a Lyman aperture ("peep") sight, usually removing the aperture disk for hunting so that the collar served as a "ghost ring". Very accurate, and there was no worry about fogging or bumping a scope off zero. They're easy to mount on Marlins.

Wish I still had my 336 in .30-30, even though health and old age no longer permit me to hunt. It was a fine rifle, but that was forty years ago.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ny Marlin .30-30 is not scoped. I have a really nice old Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that is wearing a 1970's model 3X Weaver. It still provides an excellent, clear view. I don't take it out often, but when I do it works very well for me.

·
Super Moderator
13,605 Posts
+1 for not using a scope. It's a waste of money on a 30-30. Even with a scope, the round is only a 100 or 150 yard round at best.

That means, of course, you'll have to learn to shoot at those ranges. You'll also have to learn to hunt well enough to close the distances on your game so you can get those ranges on your game. No substitute for hunting skill, regardless.

No offense intended, either. It's just that we see plenty of effort put into acquiring gear rather than acquiring skill. Another reason I kinda chuckle when I see people putting scopes on pistols.

--Wag--

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.