National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an hour to spare and a range of 185 yards, so I took the 6.5 Creedmore and shot a few rounds. Had a 10 to 15 mph quartering wind at the range. The rifle made me look good; one of those days that you wish were more often. Shot the first three rounds at the smaller target and got a pretty fair group for the range and conditions...and the suspect guy behind the trigger. The second target is 8 rounds, and the rifle was really shining there! The round to the bottom on that target was after I decided to give the scope a tweak (a click to far!) and gave it a bit too much for the range.

Tile Triangle Floor Flooring Metal

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice shooting! :thumbsup: Now that archery is over in a day. I hope to get some distance shooting in before it gets to cold.
Yesterday was a pretty awesome day for me...wish I was able to shoot more so I might get more consistent. The rifle is a nail driver with that load; the limitations are all me. My eyesight is not nearly as good nowadays. :nonod: I shot my Marlin 1894 again the other day, and with the open sights my target looked more like I shot a 12 gauge with 00 at it...at least it was a fair pattern. :smilewinkgrin:

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been awhile since I've been able to get out to a proper rifle range, you did better than I likely would've.
Well...I referred to it as a range, but our range only has a max of 100 yards. I shot this at a spot one of our local farmers let’s a few people use that is in a low defile that cannot be farmed. Unfortunately the area also retains water, and we have not been able to use it much last couple years. It is a little better now, but still a lot of moisture in half of it; thankfully the mosquitos are gone with the cold temps a week ago. Anyway, you have to bring everything including something as a backstop for your targets. The terrain provides a large natural backstop for safety. I was using a cardboard box and shooting off a bipod from prone position.

· Registered
396 Posts
The only 'proper' rifle range in my area (that doesn't have odd rules or $100 member fees) is an old farm that has been converted into a handful of 100+ yard ranges. It's almost 2 hours away, so I'd have to spend a few hours there to make the trip worthwhile.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

· Live Free
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only 'proper' rifle range in my area (that doesn't have odd rules or $100 member fees) is an old farm that has been converted into a handful of 100+ yard ranges. It's almost 2 hours away, so I'd have to spend a few hours there to make the trip worthwhile.
For a two hour drive I would have to plan on being there all day, and that loses a lot of desire in winter when days are shorter. Our local range is not bad, but it is uncontrolled, and for that reason, sometimes unsafe depending upon who is using it. Mostly it is great during the week, and that works for me since I can adjust my schedule to allow for some range time here and there, but it is limited to 100 yards. We have a 750 yard range about 45” away, but it is only accessible two Saturdays a month, and there is a modest annual fee. I like it but can seldom be there at the prescribed dates and times. Like you, there are some good ranges within 2 to 3 hours from here in South Dakota, but fees are higher and the drive time makes it problematic. When the weather is a bit drier that low area near here that I was using has up to 300 yards usable and we have it marked in 50 yard increments with fence posts. But it has been pretty wet for a year and a half, and renders the area partly under water and a mosquito haven. When it is accessible, it is great. 300 yards is a nice range to have accessible. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.