National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
235 Posts
not so: for fishing it is bad news. Fish are having a hard time due to over fishing and habitat distruction. Around here what use to be plentiful there is a 5 bag limit for all predictor class fish combined like bass, croppies, sun fish, etc. Problem is the same habitat we already have access to runs through those public spaces he is opening up. So going somewhere else is not good. It becomes harder for dnr to properly manage. to ensure unnessary poaching. people think because I am way out here who cares what I take I am not going to get caught. this leads to situation like here where there are very few fish left for anyone to fish. Thus BAD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
not so: for fishing it is bad news. Fish are having a hard time due to over fishing and habitat distruction. Around here what use to be plentiful there is a 5 bag limit for all predictor class fish combined like bass, croppies, sun fish, etc. Problem is the same habitat we already have access to runs through those public spaces he is opening up. So going somewhere else is not good. It becomes harder for dnr to properly manage. to ensure unnessary poaching. people think because I am way out here who cares what I take I am not going to get caught. this leads to situation like here where there are very few fish left for anyone to fish. Thus BAD.
Just curious - did you actually read the article posted here or are you reacting based on the headline only?

In the article it mentions opening up access in "138 national wildlife refuges and 9 national fish hatcheries." To me those areas probably don't have overfishing or much habitat destruction as they're already managed and protected. And as such, I'm sure the counts of the various species in them are monitored. Another benefit of having more places to go to fish is that it REDUCES the pressure on existing accessible water. That too has to be a good thing for fish especially during spawning season. As for your comment on how you used to have "plentiful" fish stocks and now you have bag limits - well the reason your plentiful stocks now have bag limits is due to no previous bag limits on those fish.

And nowhere do you mention that Trump has authorized $20 Billion over the next 10 years to "fix and conserve the American people's public lands." To me that means that more money will be available to help monitor, manage and ENFORCE the rules, reduce poaching and help to fix whatever habitat destruction there may be. There will always be those who break laws i.e. poaching but it sounds as if Trump may actually try and do something about it with the increased funding.

So if you are taking advantage of an area where you fish you may actually be happy when this greater access goes into effect and you're current fishing hotspot becomes less congested. You may also find that fishing actually IMPROVES since fishing pressure will decrease.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I fish, go figure.
The population is going up. Although a fewer percentage of people fish, that still means more fishermen and more fishing pressure. If the places to fish do not increase with the increased pressure, then bag limits have to decrease or existing areas get fished out totally.
I support more places to fish. And more hatcheries. I live across the road from a Wildlife Mgnt. Area in Central Texas. Many of them actually NEED more pressure. They are overpopulated in some cases.
I also have the head Game Warden's personal number, and do use it when I see poachers. On or off the water.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Aim true !
10,302 Posts
I was at the gun club twice today. There was one guy fishing there this AM. And 2 this after. I had the range all to myself both times. A perfect day for being out doors.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
715 Posts
Pretty much that way at the Gun Club I am a member of too. Usually have the range pretty much to myself. Especially the hot or cold months.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
235 Posts
Just curious - did you actually read the article posted here or are you reacting based on the headline only?

In the article it mentions opening up access in "138 national wildlife refuges and 9 national fish hatcheries." To me those areas probably don't have overfishing or much habitat destruction as they're already managed and protected. And as such, I'm sure the counts of the various species in them are monitored. Another benefit of having more places to go to fish is that it REDUCES the pressure on existing accessible water. That too has to be a good thing for fish especially during spawning season. As for your comment on how you used to have "plentiful" fish stocks and now you have bag limits - well the reason your plentiful stocks now have bag limits is due to no previous bag limits on those fish.

And nowhere do you mention that Trump has authorized $20 Billion over the next 10 years to "fix and conserve the American people's public lands." To me that means that more money will be available to help monitor, manage and ENFORCE the rules, reduce poaching and help to fix whatever habitat destruction there may be. There will always be those who break laws i.e. poaching but it sounds as if Trump may actually try and do something about it with the increased funding.

So if you are taking advantage of an area where you fish you may actually be happy when this greater access goes into effect and you're current fishing hotspot becomes less congested. You may also find that fishing actually IMPROVES since fishing pressure will decrease.
I read it. I was pointing out that in reality it has a different effect in how we go about hunting and fishing. If we don't properly manage it and just open it all to unmanagable access. We could truely lose it all, where we won't beable to fish or hunt due to decimation of wilklife population by stressing them beyond their ability to procreate.

I don't think you realize just how much land that actually covers. and how hard it is to cover that on daily basis with game wardens. I personally know a homeless poacher. Brags all the time, he has access to areas that are legal to access and DNR is unable to nab him. He been doing it for years. Even with 20 billion its how that money is used that will make it ineffective. I have worked with the DNR and been a conservationist my entire life. I know the dirty reality. Its ugly and rarely goes down the way it is written on paper. Too many people are untrustworthy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
2.3 million acres is approx 3600 square miles according to google. That falls in between Delaware and Connecticut if you rank it by state - approx 48th out of 50 states. And that's spread out across the country I'm guessing. Is that a large amount of land to cover? Honestly I don't know but it doesn't sound too unmanageable when spread out.

As for your 1 homeless poacher, i'm sure you've reported him to your local DNR office so if they haven't caught him in "years" it almost sounds as if they're not too worried about what he's doing.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
it is good news.....enjoy while it lasts.......the next democrat president will roll it back........probably further back to punish us......

·
Banned
235 Posts
2.3 million acres is approx 3600 square miles according to google. That falls in between Delaware and Connecticut if you rank it by state - approx 48th out of 50 states. And that's spread out across the country I'm guessing. Is that a large amount of land to cover? Honestly I don't know but it doesn't sound too unmanageable when spread out.

As for your 1 homeless poacher, i'm sure you've reported him to your local DNR office so if they haven't caught him in "years" it almost sounds as if they're not too worried about what he's doing.
I was just using him as Specific real world example. You would not believe how many are actually out there. I encountered them all the time when I use to fish. rarely were they the same people too. like using 5 fishing poles when only 1 is legal. taking over bag limit. taking species not legal to take. ETC.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Certainly glad they have those fish hatcheries where the breed and release more fish every year. Otherwise they would be decimated by homeless poachers.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts