National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker of mine is a single woman living alone and decided she wants a gun in the house. She sent me this link to get my opinion on it and asked me to help her pick a first gun. She and I are going to go to the range several times and shoot a bunch of my guns to see what fits her best but I thought this webpage was pretty good advice for a beginner and wanted to share it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Choose-the-Right-Pistol-(Handgun)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thread started by me that graduated to "Sticky". My Mother always told me my College Education would pay off one day. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Stamps6

·
AZHerper
4,101 Posts
One thing that it didn't mention was the relative difficulty of "racking" some pistols for some women, older men, or people with grip problems with medical causes like carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). I'm 82 and have CTS with atrophy of the thenar muscles at the base of my thumb which has pretty much "trashed" my grip strength. Now the only semi-auto that I can rack easily is my Kel-Tec .380. If they pick a semi-auto pistol, it should be one that they can rack easily and comfortably.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Excellent article. for me the best way was to try a few on shoot with friends well to be honest block out their biased, self centered Glocktardedness

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing that it didn't mention was the relative difficulty of "racking" some pistols for some women, older men, or people with grip problems with medical causes like carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). I'm 82 and have CTS with atrophy of the thenar muscles at the base of my thumb which has pretty much "trashed" my grip strength. Now the only semi-auto that I can rack easily is my Kel-Tec .380. If they pick a semi-auto pistol, it should be one that they can rack easily and comfortably.
Just this evening had a discussion with another about this issue. I am fairly strong and also have issues racking a semi. The solution is to choose a small revolver like a K-frame. No issues re racking. Easy to confirm it is loaded, which is not the case with semis. Never any issues with FTEs (failures to eject), FTLs (failure to load), FTRBs (failure to return to battery). Revolvers are simply a much better choice for the inexperienced or those with weak wrists/hands.

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
I had his address. I sent a note asking why he wasn't around, never got a reply of any kind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts