National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out to shoot a bit today. Did some steel shooting with the Creedmore at 400 yds and put a few more rounds through my Howa mini 6.5 Grendel. The wind was being a bit contrary today coming out of the northeast at 8 to 10 mph, and then gusting up to fifteen and more at times. Our range shoots north. Decided to play with the .22 for a bit. Started at 50 to verify the scope since I had not shot it since we moved, and worked it out to 100. Wasn’t my best shooting but was staying within 1.5 inches at 100, so I thought it would be fun to shoot the steel chicken silhouette that sits at 155. That is when it got fun trying to comp for the wind and range. Wish I could say I did real good, but I would say the best I did was about fifty/fifty, but it was a load of fun. Should have brought more ammo...

·
Aim true !
11,378 Posts
Good to hear you got out. Im still waiting for my scope to come for the 17hmr. I decided to save my ammo for when the scope comes. Instead of zeroing 2 scopes.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may have shot a little more than I intended yesterday...but it was fun!
I am checking zero on at least two scopes each range trip now, just to make sure all is good after moving...gives me a good excuse to shoot em! :)

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Glad you had some fun. I haven’t shot anything since last Saturday before taking Max hunting. I ran 80+ rds of slugs through those VR80’s trying to get the red dots sighted before I gave up. I couldn’t get a group smaller than 10” at 50 yards. It was insane. Both of them. That butt pad is atrocious on those things. Bruised the crap out of my shoulder from hard rubber bars on the rear of the pad.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Oh yeah, and in my frustration, like an idiot I forget the side charging handle on those is on the left. I reached up as I was looking through the scope, wrapped my fingers around the magwell to steady it, thumb up, palm against the receiver and fired. My thumb took the full blunt of the slugs recoil because it didn’t try to cycle. Ouch!

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, and in my frustration, like an idiot I forget the side charging handle on those is on the left. I reached up as I was looking through the scope, wrapped my fingers around the magwell to steady it, thumb up, palm against the receiver and fired. My thumb took the full blunt of the slugs recoil because it didn’t try to cycle. Ouch!
Yeah, I bet that hurt! I suspect you will remember that in the future!

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting to the range every other week right now. I take three guns and enjoy a couple hours (or more) each time I go. Shoots up a bunch of ammo when I get to havin fun, but everything I am shooting is several years old...time to reload! :) The .22 ammo is fairly old too...I rotate my stock to shoot up the oldest first.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I try to get out to the range weekly. Our range can get sudden high winds due to the nearby mountain and typically blows to the east, which is the way the main ranges are oriented. On high wind days, target stands must be weighted down. Many days I've seen a single gust of wind knock every target stand on the range over.

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I try to get out to the range weekly. Our range can get sudden high winds due to the nearby mountain and typically blows to the east, which is the way the main ranges are oriented. On high wind days, target stands must be weighted down. Many days I've seen a single gust of wind knock every target stand on the range over.
It gets pretty windy here on the high plains some days. We have pvc buried in the ground that are target frames set in...keeps them up in the wind or else we would be chasing em cross country. I would like to get out weekly, and hopefully I will be now that we are settled in our new home here in Texas.

·
Aim true !
11,378 Posts
I was planing on testing my loads today. But was held up waiting for my scrap guy. Until he came it was starting to get cold. But tomorrow im free.

Reactions: AgedWarrior

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
I got that new Smith im dying to shoot. Been too busy last few days. Boys got a new Alaskan Husky, 18 months. She is a handful. I’m just hoping this wind will stop long enough this weekend to shoot a video. Only need about an hour to get some shooting done with these 1911’s. Can’t record in high wind cause all you’ll hear is the wind thumping the mic. I want to get in a couple hundred rounds at least, break her in good.

·
Aim true !
11,378 Posts
Phil thank you for considering the wind noise. (y)

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Phil thank you for considering the wind noise. (y)
I did my best to keep the wind noise down but I’m still going to have to edit some out. Beautiful day today and it went down hill fast.

Btw, That Husky isn’t Alaskan, it’s a registered Siberian pure blood. That woman didn’t know what she had apparently. I saw the paperwork today. She seems awfully big for an 18 month old Siberian since females top out at 50 lbs. and 23” at the withers. Maybe she just looks bigger than she is. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

That’s a 35” mud tire (18” rim size) she’s standing next to.

Agedwarrior, sorry if I hijacked your thread. Just wanted to correct my earlier statement.

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did my best to keep the wind noise down but I’m still going to have to edit some out. Beautiful day today and it went down hill fast.

Btw, That Husky isn’t Alaskan, it’s a registered Siberian pure blood. That woman didn’t know what she had apparently. I saw the paperwork today. She seems awfully big for an 18 month old Siberian since females top out at 50 lbs. and 23” at the withers. Maybe she just looks bigger than she is. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow.

That’s a 35” mud tire (18” rim size) she’s standing next to.

View attachment 119868

View attachment 119869

View attachment 119870

Agedwarrior, sorry if I hijacked your thread. Just wanted to correct my earlier statement.
I don’t fret over such stuff...no issue for me.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Since you have experience shooting Creedmoor and Grendel back to back, what’s your take on how they differ? Is it enough to notice?

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since you have experience shooting Creedmoor and Grendel back to back, what’s your take on how they differ? Is it enough to notice?
The Creedmore I own is pretty heavy so recoil is almost nonexistent. With the brake I can ride the scope and observe hits at 400...kinda nice. Thus, my Grendel rifles actually let you feel a little more recoil than the Creed, but either cartridge is quite easy on the shoulder. The Creed gets more energy down range with 140+ bullets compared to the Grendel with 120’s and a slower muzzle velocity. Some folks shoot the Grendel at some amazingly long ranges for the little guy, and it is quite effective, but the Creed reaches a lot further. I have only shot out to 750 with the Creed and it is a hoot! I have not shot the Grendel past 400, but I will first opportunity I get. They are both efficient cartridges. For long range the Creedmore is superior to the Grendel, but the Grendel is a really good combat or hunting cartridge. It far exceeds 5.56 in an AR; enabling much greater effective range; and it makes for light nimble bolt guns for hunting because of the short action. Both give excellent accuracy with hand loads tailored to the rifle. My Creed will give one hole five shot groups, and the Grendel will give less than .5 moa...either makes me look like a better rifleman than I am.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
They say the Grendel is good and effective out to 800. My neighbor has one built on a AR platform and little brother has a Howa Creedmoor. I’ve shot them both out to 200 but months apart so no real comparison. I’ll probably venture into them both at some point.

There isn’t much to speak of in recoil in brother’s Creedmoor either. It’s heavy enough that there just ain’t much there. That 300 prc I picked up is very mild too, but it’s over 16 lbs. need to tune the brake on it. Recoil is wimpy but the muzzle lift is strong. Weather has been way too crazy to get them out.

·
Live Free
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They say the Grendel is good and effective out to 800. My neighbor has one built on a AR platform and little brother has a Howa Creedmoor. I’ve shot them both out to 200 but months apart so no real comparison. I’ll probably venture into them both at some point.

There isn’t much to speak of in recoil in brother’s Creedmoor either. It’s heavy enough that there just ain’t much there. That 300 prc I picked up is very mild too, but it’s over 16 lbs. need to tune the brake on it. Recoil is wimpy but the muzzle lift is strong. Weather has been way too crazy to get them out.
Yes, I have read where some take the Grendel out even further, really stretching the limits for the little cartridge. I have three Grendel’s, an AR, a Howa mini-action, and a CZ 527. I suppose you could say the Grendel bug got me. :rolleyes:. I own only my Savage Creedmore, but have been thinking about a CZ 557 in 6.5 Creedmore some day soon...
300 PRC looks like an interesting cartridge for sure, though probably not for me. Yours is an Ruger Precision Rifle, correct? 16 lbs will help tame recoil for sure. The RPR brake is tuneable? I use one on my Savage, and it has to be aligned properly, but that is it. Must be yours is different.
I am glad I moved south. It gets windy some on the high plains, but not nasty like NW Iowa is in the winter; windy, snow, cold and colder. Eventually you will get some calmer weather and really work with your 300...I am interested to hear how it goes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts