National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been sitting a stand that hasn't been hunted in a while. Rut is just getting kicked up here in central Florida. Had a doe come to feeder early by herself and she hung around for about 45 min. 2 Doe's and a young-ling cross over toward the feeder but passed it by and the doe at the feeder joined them, they went off to the east on a trail that I could see from the stand. About 45 min later I saw movement on that trail and glassed it, it was a buck coming in. He disappeared behind some thick stuff but showed up 20 yds behind the feeder, nose to the ground. I knew he wouldn't stay long and took the shot. I always try for the neck and I saw him hunch but he didn't go down. He ran 50 yards north and then through some pines and into a 20 acre palmetto field (the palmettos were waist high. I started doing a grid search and found him in the middle about a 100 yds from the pines. Had to get a big tractor to pull him out. Made for a long day. He was only a 6 point but had a big body.

Plant Plant community Botany Leaf Organism

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
27,249 Posts
When is the hunting season in Florida? Here in NC, hunting season ended almost two weeks ago.

·
Aim true !
12,724 Posts
Nice buck congrats. Saturday our late season ends. Bow and flintlock.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on where you are. Central Florida (Zone B) has the latest rut in the state. Gun starts first weekend of December and runs until Feburary 20th. I've seen bucks chasing doe's up into April (turkey season). I have game cam pics of a fawn that just hit the ground first week in Jan. which says it was conceived in early May.

·
Aim true !
12,724 Posts
My neighbor was telling me the buck are still chasing doe here.

Reactions: gvaldeg1

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
Nice! That’s a good Buck. I’d be afraid to walk around the woods in Florida with the snakes and stuff. You get pigs too! We don’t have any pigs in NJ. Our rut is about the week before and the week after Halloween. Our bow season opens the end of the first week in September and shotgun opens the first Monday of the month in December and runs until the 2nd week in February. We have a one buck limit but you can buy extra permits. Does are no season limit and no daily limit. It’s the cold that keeps most guys out of the woods.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Typically eastern hunters would count it as a 6 point and western hunters would count it as a 3 point.

·
Salmon Slayer
685 Posts
Fisherman would count it as a 26 and there wouldn’t be any pictures to prove it.
So what are you really trying to say…:p

• Haha
Reactions: Philmo11
1 - 13 of 13 Posts