National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I about to head out to the Gun Show, load up on some ammo... anyone need anything while I'm out? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
LR Mag primers. Either CCI or WIn.

Thx. I'll have cash for you when you come by!

You 'da MAN!

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a sad trip...

This is the third show I've gone to this year... they keep getting smaller and smaller :cry:

I remember when a gun show = deals on everything!
Though I've sorta been boycotting WalMart, I may need to start buying my standard ammo there.
Better yet... I need a class on reloading. I've never done it, nor even see anyone reload.

Anyone know of a good start for looking into reloading?

It's sad to see these shows (at least around here) going to hell awfully fast.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
The "better" of the two gunshows that we have here was going on this wknd. See me run. Run, Rick, Run....yawwwwwn...

I wrote a report last time, so I thought I'd save the $5.00 admission and the $4.00 parking fee and write the same one today.

Tables filled with crap that the owners think is gold. People bringing their crap in from Grandpa's collections that someone told somebody was worth 5X what it's worth. (Why do you think I won't give values to all these new members who pop in with their 1st post to ask what so-and-so is worth?). Jewelry and toys to keep the wives and kiddos quiet. B*F*D.

Last time I went with a wad of cash in my pocket wanting to find stuff to put into inventory. I saved at least 3 gallons of gasoline not doing so this time. So I think I came out ahead.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
As a person who is new to guns, I like to go to gun shows just to see what exists. I wanna know my options. Know what I mean?

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Big Daddy said:
What a sad trip...

This is the third show I've gone to this year... they keep getting smaller and smaller :cry:

I remember when a gun show = deals on everything!
Though I've sorta been boycotting WalMart, I may need to start buying my standard ammo there.
Better yet... I need a class on reloading. I've never done it, nor even see anyone reload.

Anyone know of a good start for looking into reloading?

It's sad to see these shows (at least around here) going to hell awfully fast.
The shows where I live have been getting bigger. Hell even the little tiny one here in Jacksonville has been bigger the last few times I went.

Normally they only have twenty or thirty tables, the last one had 50.

There is going to be a 900 table show in Raleigh later this month.

Where do you live? Maybe it is just a demographics thing.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
When we were doing the gun show circuit in N.M. as exhibitors, about 10 yrs ago, we watched it diminish quite a bit, this at a time when the population was growing and the local gun stores (and our own little business) were doing quite well.

There are two shows that are conducted locally, a private one which is fairly small and I've never bothered with, and the one put on by the N.M. Gun Collectors Assn. That one takes place three times per year and used to be a hoot. But not for several yrs, now. They used to take up an entire exhibition hall, over 300 tables, and now they take up less than half that. They used to not allow anything not gun-related, except two or three tables that had jewelry or toys -- now that crap is all over. Call me fickle, but I don't go to a gun show to buy Avon bottles or peanut logs. It's been looking more and more like the flea market that is held on the other side of the fairgrounds.

Shooting is still very popular in N.M. and got a "shot in the arm" so to speak when we passed CCW. There are always large numbers of people at the shows, but the merchandise available is what's really lacking.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
The ones here in Northern Virginia have over 1,000 tables and there's always folks buying stuff.

There are a few dealers who always have a stack of background checks they are calling in via cell phone.

Funny thing is, in Richmond (higher crime than up here), the cops have a room in the back, and THEY process the background checks.

A few years ago the BATFE got bit in the butt because they were taking addresses off of applications and visiting homes and neighbors. "Did you know your husband/neighbor is buying a gun right now? How do you feel about that?"

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Glock27Bill said:
...A few years ago the BATFE got bit in the butt because they were taking addresses off of applications and visiting homes and neighbors. "Did you know your husband/neighbor is buying a gun right now? How do you feel about that?"
Out-F'ing-Rageous! Even by the BATF's standards (or lack thereof) that's almost unbelievable! Did they bring their "Always Think Forfeiture" leathermen tools with them?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
gunrnr said:
Glock27Bill said:
...A few years ago the BATFE got bit in the butt because they were taking addresses off of applications and visiting homes and neighbors. "Did you know your husband/neighbor is buying a gun right now? How do you feel about that?"
Out-F'ing-Rageous! Even by the BATF's standards (or lack thereof) that's almost unbelievable! Did they bring their "Always Think Forfeiture" leathermen tools with them?
They got their butts handed to them for that stunt. They claim they did it in the name of 'address verificaion.'

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Glock27Bill said:
A few years ago the BATFE got bit in the butt because they were taking addresses off of applications and visiting homes and neighbors. "Did you know your husband/neighbor is buying a gun right now? How do you feel about that?"
So thats why I turned down that job with the BATF. Ya know, that is pathetic.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
At California gun shows you can always purchase hand knitted kitten booties in a variety of colors.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Popeye said:
At California gun shows you can always purchase hand knitted kitten booties in a variety of colors.
LMAO, Popeye -- do you...ahh...need a permit for those?

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In Michigan,

We have an annual "Big - Big" Show that is usually pretty decent. Though we have a few trade centers that hold a gun show once every month. Now, 15 years ago... they where always packed with at least a thousand vendors, and tons of people every single time.

Nowadays, more like a hundred or so vendors, and maybe 200 people show-up.
It's just sad... not only are we losing good vendors, but also the loss of spectators. Just seems the old "Gun Fanatic" is a dieing breed! :(

WELCOME TO THE INTERNET AGE HUH?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
In Northern Virginia it's still somewhat of a novelty, the show here usually gets a decent turnout, with the usual seasonal cycles.

Im always surprised at the prices people pay, but if their deals are not too much higher than the web, I occassioanlly buy a gun or two there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts