National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor and i are going for some yotes. The farmer where he hunts deer. Wants them killed off. I ordered a call for him. Our other neighbor gave him one to try. But the speaker is going. He had 2 responding. Also he used the crow call on it. And shot some crows. Were going to hunt some crows too then. Should be a lot of fun. Here is the call i ordered.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/Primos-Turbo-Dogg-Electronic-Predator-Call?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIze-BjICl5wIVyp-zCh3T1QbEEAQYBCABEgLpPfD_BwE

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Are the pelts worth something where you live? If so, hit them in the head

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to call the local furrier. There used to be a 25.00 bounty too on them. Im going to check into that too.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Wish we had a bounty in Florida. I tried an electronic call but it never produced. Currently I use a Johnny Stewart flex call. Does OK. A friend has a Johnny Steward lit'l something call (old) and it pulls them in every time. Can't find it now. We were scouting a WMA and we just stopped at a crossroad and he used his call, within a minute one jumped out within bow range.

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bounty maybe still active. I believe they passed night vision thermal imaging scopes allowed for predator hunting now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You didn’t ask, but a 40gn 223Rem VMax (Hornady)will leave a coyote Dead right there. Barnes Varmint Gernades and Nosler Varmageddon all are good for small hole in and liquid innards. You can over rev a varmint bullet, so use a varmint rifle(slower twist)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,227 Posts
I jusut knew you were going to buy another gun....

Alan

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Coyotes and crows can be tough to get to gun range depending on how often they get hunted. Nether one is dumb. Good luck and include some pics.

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going to use my savage 223 bolt rifle. He's going to use his 22 mag with some blastictic tip bullet. And if that don't work out. His 220 swift.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
His 220Swift would be better.....I've shot a bunch with 22wmr very few bang flops, mostly spinners then run offs.

98.9% yotes will circle down wind....set up is everything. The best spots are those where you can't be backdoored.

Electronic callers work great, it gets the call out away from you. Mouth calls work great as well, again set up is everything because you are calling them to your exact location.

Don't be afraid to call in the timber/woods.

·
Aim true !
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree on the 220 swift. He has an unertl scope on it too. I think were going to set up along the woods line. Overlooking the fields. I'll talk to him about using the 220. He is a little hard headed at times.

Reactions: mjcmichigan

·
Registered
13,218 Posts
The bounty maybe still active. I believe they passed night vision thermal imaging scopes allowed for predator hunting now.

There are a few guys around here that hunt them at night. I know one guy who has like 5k wrapped up in some thermal digital scope. Every year he buys a new gun in a small fast caliber works up loads and does his best to get as many as he can. I think he averages 60-70 per year. He hunts from a moveable heated shack he has on some big farm and uses road kill as bait. Last year he was using a gun in 20 tactical but i haven't seen him this year so don't know what he has. He doesn't bother with the pelts. Too much of a dirty hassle and work for him. Here in NY there are very few restriction on hunting them There is a season(fall to spring but don't know the dates) and you need a license and other than that if the gun is legal you are good to go. Oh and no vehicle hunting which is probably the norm around the country. Muzzle loader, bows, rifle, pistols, shotguns, bait, decoys, calls, night vision, thermal, day, night it's all good here. No bounty though but i think there was at one time. There used to be some farms that paid a bounty though but i don't know if they do anymore. Good luck and have fun!

I still have one my brother(his first) got many years ago. He bought a dying rabbit call. He put it in a field, walked into the brush and turned around to see this guy on a dead run towards the call and put his lights out...He was like damn this is easy. The rest he had to work for.

20200131_055817[1].jpg

Reactions: Coalcracker
1 - 12 of 12 Posts