National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can any of you direct me to a oil finish that is gloss or semi gloss? I would like to stick with oil finishes because of their practicality and repairability.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,457 Posts
I prefer to go with either a flat or satin finish for gun stocks. IMHO, semi-gloss and gloss finishes have too much of a shine, that could warn off critters during hunting season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any specific brand recommendations? This project will mainly be used for target practice so the "warn off critters" doesn't concern me

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,457 Posts
Any specific brand recommendations? This project will mainly be used for target practice so the "warn off critters" doesn't concern me

Any woodworker quality finish would work, such as Olympic, Minwax, Zinsser, McCloskey, among others. I would suggest using a marine grade finish for the added UV and moisture protection.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Automotive clear coat works much better on a target rifle.....Tru-oil works really well also and is easily repairable...8-10 coats after some quality sanding it will be pretty and slick as melting butter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evil-Twin, Did you just rub in the tru oil with your finger or a cloth, or did you use the spray version?
BTW, that is a really nice stock;

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Evil-Twin, Did you just rub in the tru oil with your finger or a cloth, or did you use the spray version?
BTW, that is a really nice stock;
I used two fingers...you can feel it get warm, when you have used the right pressure....it takes about me about ten minutes to do a stock... then its almost dry in 30 minutes , but its not.... I wait an hour, then apply again... after five coats... five hours, I let it sit overnight... the next day I lightly scuff with OOO steal wool, then a tack cloth, then five more coats, over the next five hours, then over night, when I have it were I want it. I use 1500 wet n dry, ( wet ) wipe it down, tack cloth, then I thin final coat... let it sit for a few days before you remount the action. If you are doing pillar and post, or glass bedding.. you do this first, and make sure the gun shoots like it should.. before you do the final finish.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
I have redone a couple of stocks too and i like tru oil. It's easy and the results are nice. Nothing like above, that work looks fantastic. I just sanded and refinished a couple of beat up 2x4 grade stocks.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I like using my fingers, its sticky, but I like to feel the oil get warm on my fingers ( the friction from proper pressure makes you feel like you have some control over the application ) Note sure if it actually make a difference.. but it gives me a sense of working the wood with my hands..

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
All are good......For me however I am a purist I tend to stick with Boiled Linseed Oil and wood stocks.....Those shown are very fine work looks great....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts