National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am finally getting my firearms license (in Canada) and will be picking up a new toy soon. I know most of you will be recommending a Glock or a SIG, but I have held the glock (never fired it) and it felt a bit boxy, and the SIGs cost over $1200 in Canada, so for a first weapon, it is a bit pricey.
I have fired the Browning before (dont remember the model, but it was one of the older ones), and it felt fairly firm, keeping in mind that it was the only handgun I have fired. However, on the other hand, I have always liked the Beretta 92fs, and now I fell in love with the "90-Two".
I am still unsure about the Glock and the SIG, but unless you can make me think otherwise, I am leaning more towards the Beretta 90-Two (love the rail) vs Browning Hi-Power Standard (9 mm). If anyone has knowledge and/or experience with both, I would be greatful if you recommended one for me, and perhaps add some pros and cons. Thanks a lot in advance! :---

·
Registered
761 Posts
Don't get the 92, or any other larger caliber Berretta. If the US Military has decided to look for a new standard issue sidearm after having the 92 in constant service for the last 4 years, I'd say it's not a firearm that the average joe should trust too much.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Zulu7 said:
Don't get the 92, or any other larger caliber Berretta. If the US Military has decided to look for a new standard issue sidearm after having the 92 in constant service for the last 4 years, I'd say it's not a firearm that the average joe should trust too much.
The Berreta 9mm has been issued to the U.S. Military since 1985. I have a 92FS and love it. No problems of any kind and will keep it. Glocks feel blocky to me as well. Do they have any Springfield Armory guns where you live? XD-9 and XD-40 are both good guns, but I like 1911 models the best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just get whatever feels right for you. You need to feel comfortible with your firearm.

BTW... you can never go wrong with a Glock... :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have both, and find that I enjoy shooting and carrying the High Power a lot more than the 92.

I don't like the double action trigger on the Beretta, and I love the trigger on the HP.

Also, you can't carry the Beretta in Condition One - cocked and locked - and the Browning really likes that method of carry.

The Browning also has the same manual of arms as the 1911, except it has a magazine disconnecter, so it can't be fired with one in the chamber and the magazine removed.

It's also easier to field strip and clean, for me.

And it fits my hand like a glove.

Also, historically, it is the final design of the Master of firearm design - John Moses Browning, who as you may know also designed the 1911, and most Winchester lever rifles, as well as the famous Browning Automatic Rifle, the .30 caliber machine gun (M-1919 and its' variants) and the .50 caliber machine gun, M-2, Ma Duce.

Coincidentally, in World War Two, the High Power was manufactured in Canada as the Inglis High Power, after the Nazis captured the FN plant in Belgium, where the Browning High Power was being manufactured.

High Powers are also used by the British Special Air Service (SAS).

In a hundred years, the Browning will still be a classic, and the Beretta will be a minor historical footnote.

Gee...I convinced myself all over again.

I think I'll buy another.

Doug

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Frankly I think any of the choices that you mentioned are good ones!

There are many good deals out there on used Sig 226s that are used in many police departments. Its like buying a used Toyota Camry. They hold up well and last a long, long time.

The Glocks too are readly available for good prices. You do get used to the blocky nature of the gun and the unusual trigger, I am told. This would be your lowest priced choice. They are about $500 in Portland brand new! Maybe $300-400 used!

The high powers are usually expensive! Trigger is hard and can pull you off the target unless you do some modifications.

I would imagine that it depends on your personal budget more than anything and the availability of good used handguns in a country that is not handgun friendly unless you are a LEO.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Zulu7 said:
Sorry - but your advice to him on what he should buy is off the mark. You might take a closer look at the Barrettas, Its my opinion that they would be a good choice.

Back to the original poster - ALL of the brands you mentioned are good. So, it comes down to the personal preference YOU will have...

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The main thing I don't like about the Beretta M-9 or 92F is they are way too big for a 15 shot 9MM handgun. My "Baby" Desert Eagle in .45 ACP is much smaller and holds 10+1 rounds. Another thing is the open top slide is a silly way to lose weight in a service pistol. Just more places for dirt, sand, and crap to enter into the workings of the gun. The 92F, M-9 series has been somewhat of a white elephant for the United States armed forces. The whole reason they went with it was because it is the standard NATO handgun round. Early models had a very bad problem with slides cracking. Beretta seems to have fixed it, but the Special Forces, Navy Seals, and others went back to the .45 ACP rather quickly. Now the whole thing is up for "reevaluation". The M-9, 92F is somewhat of a dog with fleas, and the armed forces are getting tired of scratching. Bill T.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
billt said:
The main thing I don't like about the Beretta M-9 or 92F is they are way too big for a 15 shot 9MM handgun. My "Baby" Desert Eagle in .45 ACP is much smaller and holds 10+1 rounds. Another thing is the open top slide is a silly way to lose weight in a service pistol. Just more places for dirt, sand, and crap to enter into the workings of the gun. The 92F, M-9 series has been somewhat of a white elephant for the United States armed forces. The whole reason they went with it was because it is the standard NATO handgun round. Early models had a very bad problem with slides cracking. Beretta seems to have fixed it, but the Special Forces, Navy Seals, and others went back to the .45 ACP rather quickly. Now the whole thing is up for "reevaluation". The M-9, 92F is somewhat of a dog with fleas, and the armed forces are getting tired of scratching. Bill T.

The slides cracking affected something like 10-15 guns during initial testing - Beretta altered their metalurgy, and part of the problem was that they were using ammo that was too hot for the gun during those tests. This story has grown 4 legs and a tail, and has taken on a life of its own over the years.

As for the open slide - its done that way on purpose. It actually increases reliability. I've owned a few 92s over the years - ALL have been excellent guns that were 100% reliable. The gun is also no larger than many other big 9mms - look at the USP for example. And, U can but 17 round mecgar mags to fit the gun - making it equivalent to a Glock 17.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
shipwreck said:
As for the open slide - its done that way on purpose. It actually increases reliability.
How so?? Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Yes but, an enlarged ejection port is one thing, milling over half of the slide away to achieve the same effect is hardly the same. A bit like useing Dynamite to clear a clogged drain. Bill T.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
billt said:
Yes but, an enlarged ejection port is one thing, milling over half of the slide away to achieve the same effect is hardly the same. A bit like useing Dynamite to clear a clogged drain. Bill T.
Nothing wrong with NOT being a Beretta fan - but the gun itself is a good gun. Personally, I am not a SIg fan. I don't care for the feel of the gun or the looks. But, Sigs are good guns, as is the Glock (despite me no longer being a Glock fan). My only point was that you can not like a certain gun, and have your personal fav - but there is no need to talk bad about the entire line of guns because of it. The 92FS/90-Two are great guns.

Any reliability problems the military has is due to the damn cheap-ass aftermarket mags they issue - instead of using factory mags. Other than that, if U change out the $45 locking block every 20k, the gun will last a long time.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
shipwreck said:
billt said:
Nothing wrong with NOT being a Beretta fan - but the gun itself is a good gun. Personally, I am not a SIg fan. I don't care for the feel of the gun or the looks. But, Sigs are good guns, as is the Glock (despite me no longer being a Glock fan). My only point was that you can not like a certain gun, and have your personal fav - but there is no need to talk bad about the entire line of guns because of it. The 92FS/90-Two are great guns.

Any reliability problems the military has is due to the damn cheap-ass aftermarket mags they issue - instead of using factory mags. Other than that, if U change out the $45 locking block every 20k, the gun will last a long time.
I'm not much of a Sig fan either. Better can be had for much less. Double stack .45's have made most every other pistol obsolete. They can be had in slim frames in a 10 +1 compacity for under $500.00 bucks. The 9 MM was never worth crap as a reliable man stopper. A pair of Glock 21's or Desert Eagle .45's will out shoot, or out SAVE anyone in a shootout situation better than any overpriced Aluminum, single stack special. Bill T.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
Well, once again - that is opinion. I have several 9mms - and my fav all time gun EVER is the 9mm Walther P99 A/S. I'd pick it over a 1911. I've never had a gun I can shoot so well.

I like 9mm. I think shot placement is the most important thing.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
shipwreck said:
I think shot placement is the most important thing.
I simply could not agree more. Bill T.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I am not going to get into the Glock versus Beretta versus Sig versus what ever thing.

Just as an observation, I fond it amazing how something that happened almost 20 years ago just carries on and on. If you don't know what this means,it has to do with the locking block cracking on the Beretta 92F. And some of the first generation 92s had frame cracking problems. Beretta fixed those thing straight away when they were discovered. I have three Beretta 9 series pistols. One 92FS, 92FS in 40 and a 96 in 357 Sig, They have proven to be as reliable as my 1911's or more since I have never had a stove pipe with a Beretta. My 92 FS must have well over 10,000 rounds through it and it just keeps running. I believe I will probably change the barrel and locking block soon, but that would be maintenance more than a repair.

All of the guns mentioned are fine firearms. The best suggestion that I would make is go handle them. See which one fits your hand the best. I can see the Beretta being too large for some people. I also do not like the boxy feeling of the Glock. The Browning High Power or BDM are great pistols. Sigs are also a bit boxy feeling for me. There is nothing wrong with any of them that can be pr oven empirically. Most of the negatives you get are anecdotal and amount to someone else's opinion. Or come from I heard a guy who had a friend who knew this guy that had this gun.....

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
dogsoldier said:
If you don't know what this means,it has to do with the locking block cracking on the Beretta 92F.

The exact same thing is happening on a lot of Springfield XD's as well. Bill T.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts