National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I purchased a brand new Glock GTL-22 tactical light/laser with dimmer switch for my two-pin Gen3 G21. I haven't used the attachment very much at all; it usually just sits in my Glock case attached to my weapon. Although, I do admit I flicked the main switch quite a bit when I first got the attachment. Fast-forward a few years to today, and I noticed something very unnerving. The spring which provides resistance on the main switch, pushing the main switch back up after being depressed, has all but completely worn out. This is a major problem as the GTL-22 is equipped with a dimmer switch that, when held down, slowly adds intensity to the light. If you want immediate full intensity from the light, you just flip the main switch, without holding it down. Well, since the main switch's spring is worn out, when I flip it, it stays down without me pressing it. So now, if I want to have immediate full intensity from the light I have to quickly flip the switch back up manually because it no longer flips back up on its own.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the dimmer switch on their GTL-11, GTL-22, or GTL-52? If so, what happened and how did you remedy the problem?

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Glock in Smyrna, GA as it's only a two hour drive from me. I've heard great things about their customer service, and even read a post from a person who said that they "broke" the main switch on their GTL and Glock gave them a brand new light, even though the light he broke was purchased years earlier. Anyone have any input on making the two hour drive? Do you think I'll get any results from Glock?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
...Do you think I'll get any results from Glock?
I think I'd call and ask someone at Glock in Smyrna, GA before I loaded up the car. They'll likely have a better answer than a bunch of dudes on a gun forum.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Glock lights are not manufactured by Glock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NEW GTL 22 - My trip to Glock

So I went ahead and made the trip to Glock, without even calling, and it was a huge success! They straight up replaced my GTL 22 with a brand new one, which is a newer model with much stiffer controls; replaced the recoil spring; replaced my speed loader (it had split on top above where the round depressor is), and installed Glock night sights with 15yr warranty ($57). From the time I arrived at the guard house, until the time a returned my visitors badge, was only like 45 minutes; the armorer said it was because my gun was so clean. Yeah, so clean your guns before you go because apparently those generous souls will clean your weapon before they hand it back. And, if you were wondering, no complementary hats, shirts, key-chains, or any of the other trinkets people claim they get when they go, but I wasn't about to complain after getting looked after on the tac-light. I don't know, maybe they just didn't like me, were out of things like that to give away, or just don't do that anymore...or, those others were lying just to make people look like assholes who beg for free stuff after Glock goes above and beyond for you. Also, the badge I got said I couldn't go behind the "door", so I had to just sit and watch the Glock history video they play on a computer monitor a few times, I wish I could have heard it better, the volume was really low. You can catch the majority of it on YouTube, some guy actually sat there and recorded it on his phone while he waited. It's 2-parts. A couple of Marines in dress blues were asked if they wanted to accompany their designated armorer in the back, but I don't know if that was because they were in the service, or because of what they needed done to their weapon.

On to the new GTL...
The new GTL is very similar to the older one. It operates exactly the same, has the same electronics, bulbs and lenses, and Glock claims the same specs. What is different is the front portion of the GTLis a different molding and also looks like its attached to the rear portion, or at least reinforcing the connection, by four small posts. The new GTL also seems to be made out of a slightly different plastic. The plastic has a kind of chalky look to it; it's a slightly lighter color than the old model, and almost looks like fiberglass (it's not, of course). Still, the looks are very similar. Except, however, for the 10-digit serial number stamped on the right side of it (that kind of sucks). Also, the battery compartment hatch is a little different on the outside. The little sight adjustment tool they provide has a teeny-tiny Glock logo on the end now too, like the Armorer's tool does. Most importantly though, and the thing that resolves my problem, is that the main and pre-selector switches are much stiffer. Glock is obviously using a stiffer spring in the newer model. The light slides much more snuggly on the rail too, but attaches just the same. Having a loose light was never a problem for me though.

My old GTL 22 said it was manufactured in Apr. 2004 (this isn't when I bought it new, just when it was made). My new one says it was manufactured in Jan. 2012. I don't know exactly when the design change happened, I just know it was some time in that 8 year window.

Oh, and the Glock factory front night sight is screw-on now, not crimp-on. That's new.

Whew.. I think that's everything.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Good deal! Glad they got you squared away.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sounds like you had a great customer service experience. Wish they were all like that.

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
Great deal! I would rather have my gun fixed than free hat any day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts