National Gun Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the LoneWolf website and was thinking about replacing my glock plastic guide rod with one of their stainless steel models. You need to replace the spring and they offer several options. Several different lb springs.

Anyone have a clue as to what the lb rating is on a stock Glock model 17 9mm?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
17 pounds.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dogsoldier said:
17 pounds.
Thanks for that info I will check out the Lonewolf site to see if that is an option.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its amazing, the lonewolf site offers three types of Glock springs. The originals, the ISMI brand and the Wolf brand. The original and ISMI brands are flat wound springs.

Wolf offers regular round springs in 12, 14, 15 ,16, 17, 19, 20, 22, and 24 pound configurations. If the Glock standard is 17 lb what might be a good target alternative weight spring?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Recoil springs should be "tuned" to the ammo you are using. When I worked up a load for serious bulls eye pistol, I then fiddled around with recoil springs until I found a weight that gave the best cycle with the wad cutters in the target modified 1911.

Using a reduced power spring will beat the heck out of your frame with regular loads. A extra power that is too heavy will cause a short cycle with light loads. Figure out what you are doing then move in that direction spring wise.

One of the advantages of a extra power spring would be a more positive snatch off the magazine and a microscopic increase in cycle time.

I have to say that probably for 90% of the shooters out there, the factory weight is fine.
Now if you are planning on a steady diet of +P ammo or are making reduced loads, then consider swapping the spring. If you are going to use factory loads, stick with the factory weight spring.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice folks!

I think I will stick with the standard springs. Most of my 9mm shooting is currently done with factory ammo. I do intend to use reloads now that I have added the LoneWolf match barrel. Maybe some lighter loads, I am not sure what the best course of action is on 9 mm.

Most of my shooting in the past has been done with 45 acp and 38 special and I do use light target loads for accuracy with both of those rounds.

Maybe I can find a spring pack with several weights included from Wolf or another mfg.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Good call. You will have less headaches in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts