National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This surprised me somewhat. It thought the big seller would still be the 9mm model 17 or one of the smaller versions.

I read that the FBI gives their agents a choice of the Model 22 or the smaller Glock 23, both in 40 cal.

The 180 grain bullet in 40 cal is roughly equivalent to the old western 38-40 revolver in performance.

Have you shot the 40 glock? Is that one of your carry pistols?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Don't know where the comparison to the obsolete .38-40 comes from, but I can say that by my own testing and especially what others have tested and researched with the cartridge, it's more comparable to the .357 Magnum and in some loadings, the .45 ACP. The 135 and 155 grain JHPs are much better suited for LE or personal protection than the 180 gr.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"gunrnr" you pack that caliber in G27, correct?

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I carry a G27, but it was one of the last guns I tried out in my search for a carry weapon.

I was pretty much focused on the .40 caliber, and the 27 was the best size/weight/accuracy combo for me.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
sig232 said:
"gunrnr" you pack that caliber in G27, correct?
Yeah, it's one caliber I carry -- in either the G27 or the H&K USP40c.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glock27Bill said:
I carry a G27, but it was one of the last guns I tried out in my search for a carry weapon.

I was pretty much focused on the .40 caliber, and the 27 was the best size/weight/accuracy combo for me.

I imagine you have to dance around the DC perimeter to avoid any problems while packing.

G

·
It makes sense. Most Law Enforcement agencies use Glocks. They also seem to favor .40S&W. I carry an issued Glock 22 everyday and it does the job great. I'm not a big fan of .40, I'd much rather have my Glock .45's or 9mm. The reason they go for the 180 gr. rounds is penetration. We count on the bullet to penetrate car doors, windshields, etc. Testing I've seen and participated in shows the heavier bullets penetrate these materials better than lighter bullets. My personal guns are loaded with lighter for caliber rounds since I don't expect to have to shoot through much more than a bad guy.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
sig232 said:
Glock27Bill said:

I imagine you have to dance around the DC perimeter to avoid any problems while packing.
The worst part are the parkways around here. Without knowing it you could be on a street or cross one and all of a sudden you are on National Park Land.

And there are two places on the George Washington Parkway (parallels the Potomac River in Virginia) where you cross a couple of bridges that are actually part of Washington DC! :eek:

I just found that out the other day.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do you mean this??

It's a 2nd gen G23.
Yeah, I carry it.
I was looking for another G19, but could not find one anywhere. I got the used G23 with the intention of buying a 9mm conversion barrel for it, but the little bugger has grown on me!!

It shoots pretty good too!!

This was at 10 yards.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
sig232 said:
This surprised me somewhat. It thought the big seller would still be the 9mm model 17 or one of the smaller versions.

I read that the FBI gives their agents a choice of the Model 22 or the smaller Glock 23, both in 40 cal.

The 180 grain bullet in 40 cal is roughly equivalent to the old western 38-40 revolver in performance.

Have you shot the 40 glock? Is that one of your carry pistols?
I have a Glock 22 Second Generation in a .40cal S&W. It is a fairly accurate pistol.

I just don't like it much... I think I will be throwing it up on gunbroker.com next week. Glock makes a good pistol, no doubt, but I just like a bit more character in my firearms... I carry a S&W M&P .40 Compact which is also pretty "Plain-Jane", but I prefer it over my Glock 22.

- You could not imagine the grief I catch for not liking Glocks! But it's just a personal preference.

G

·
Big Daddy said:
I have a Glock 22 Second Generation in a .40cal S&W. It is a fairly accurate pistol.

I just don't like it much....
+1

got one just to have one, but i just cant get into it. i dont sell any guns though, they dont eat anything :D

i did, however, have to do a bit of searching to get a good gen 2 though, i hate rails on the front of a pistol.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
got one just to have one, but i just cant get into it. i dont sell any guns though, they dont eat anything :D
I ended up with mine being one of eight I purchased through an estate lot auction... normally I wouldn't even humor the idea of selling any of my firearms, however, after that last purchase, "toy money" is tight and I have an eye on a .380 for my son.

The insane number of firearms I own is getting out of hand... at least that is what the wife says...lol

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do think a Glock is a good choice for individuals that don't fool with their guns much and simply want a reliable defense pistol. If its your only gun you will learn to master that sucky trigger and shoot it well enough to end a fight.

I have spent some time and money improving mine and they now shoot a bit better. But I still suck at the range when I pull one out to shoot. I make sure everyone went home before I start punching holes in the target at 50 feet. Then I tear up my targets in little pieces before I stuff it in the can. God! Never bring those home to show the wife! ;) ;) ;)

I sit there with my Ruger Target 22 with the red dot scope, resting on a sandbag and punch tight little groups in the target and bring those home to show the wife. She then brags to friends how great of a shot I am. My eyes do not allow me to shoot even close to what I did many years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts