National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone think of the Glock 19 which is the compact glock that fires 9mm ammunition VS the glock 23 which is also a compact but it fires .40.

Originally I had my heart set on a glock 23, but I heard it had some "kaboom" problems, meaning it could explode if you used ammunition reloads. Anyone know if there is any truth in this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any gun will explode if you over load it. there was reports of early model 23s cracking slides. but thats all been fixed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the "kaBoom" incidents are well-documented, and still happen from time to time. I think this reflects the tremendous popularity of the Glock .40 more than anything - the more copies of a given gun are in circulation, the more likely you are to hear about problems with it. The Glock .40 barrels also support less of the case than many other designs.

I've heard of Beretta 92s cracking slides, but not Glocks. However, if you don't shoot crap reloads or lead bullets, your Glock will not blow up and you'll be fine.

As far as 9mm versus .40:

9mm kicks less, is easier to shoot well at speed, and the ammo is less expensive.

.40 is more powerful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you go with a glock in anything other than 9mm, be sure to get a Bar Sto barrel. Their steel is stronger, and won't KB.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madsmit said:
If you go with a glock in anything other than 9mm, be sure to get a Bar Sto barrel. Their steel is stronger, and won't KB.

ive got thousands of rounds threw a glock 22 all factory except a set of heine sights and ive never had a problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
madsmit said:
It's not the strength of the steel, it's the design of the rifling. Lead builds up in the polygonal Glock rifling. Pressure builds and eventually - kaBoom. BarSto uses conventional rifling, therefore no problem with lead.

Jacketed bullets are zero problem in Glock factory barrels. Just don't use lead bullets. The steel of the Glock barrels is fine. :roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The comment about the steel comes from a report that an ex Glock rep made the statement that the Glock barrels were not hardened. I forget the perfect term that was used. The non hardened steel is fine for 9mm, but when higher pressures are encountered, it just wasn't enough.

Contrary to what Glockophiles want to believe, it is not lead ammo causing the KB's. But there have been some KB's attributed to weak brass on I think Federal ammo. Factory ammo was being used in some KB's.

Read the scoop. http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html

The mods and admins want more people to post? That link will cause the Glockovics to come out of the woodwork.

I really like my G19. I gave 1 to my gf for her to use. I am confident in it's ability to go bang every time the trigger is pulled. In 9mm, I don't have to worry about a KB.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
madsmit said:
The comment about the steel comes from a report that an ex Glock rep made the statement that the Glock barrels were not hardened. I forget the perfect term that was used. The non hardened steel is fine for 9mm, but when higher pressures are encountered, it just wasn't enough.

Contrary to what Glockophiles want to believe, it is not lead ammo causing the KB's. But there have been some KB's attributed to weak brass on I think Federal ammo. Factory ammo was being used in some KB's.

The mods and admins want more people to post? That link will cause the Glockovics to come out of the woodwork.
I like ol' Dean's work - he's very funny and quite knowledgeable - but he's been trying to make a third career as a Glock basher for about fifteen years now. Heck, I even remember his review, twenty years ago, of the Glock 17L as "Waldo Lydecker."

So, help a poor dumb Glockophile/Glockovic understand. If it was weak brass...what does that have to do with the strength of the barrel steel? Anyway, defective ammo is hardly the fault of the gun.

The issue with lead bullets is pretty well-known. Even Glock warns against using them right in the user manual.

No gun is perfect, advertising notwithstanding, but the kaBoom phenomenon (which does exist) has been exaggerated on the internet to wild proportions. Glock is just one of those guns that few people are neutral about, and the people who don't like it seem to seize on the kaBooms, which comprise a tiny percentage of the total number of Glock .40s in circulation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike Barham said:
madsmit said:

I like ol' Dean's work - he's very funny and quite knowledgeable - but he's been trying to make a third career as a Glock basher for about fifteen years now. Heck, I even remember his review, twenty years ago, of the Glock 17L as "Waldo Lydecker."

So, help a poor dumb Glockophile/Glockovic understand. If it was weak brass...what does that have to do with the strength of the barrel steel? Anyway, defective ammo is hardly the fault of the gun.

The issue with lead bullets is pretty well-known. Even Glock warns against using them right in the user manual.

No gun is perfect, advertising notwithstanding, but the kaBoom phenomenon (which does exist) has been exaggerated on the internet to wild proportions. Glock is just one of those guns that few people are neutral about, and the people who don't like it seem to seize on the kaBooms, which comprise a tiny percentage of the total number of Glock .40s in circulation.

ive seen tons of guns that would fire out of battery. and most glocks dont. ive seen a sti explode in a guys hand. that doesnt mean all of them will do that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike Barham said:

If you read the link, you would see there are several KB's documented. 1 of them mentions a 9mm with weak brass.

Other KB's occurred in non 9mm models, with factory ammo. That is where the remark from an ex glock rep came in about the steel not being hardened like other manufacturers do.

It is not lead causing the KB's, that is just Gaston's lame excuse.

I have yet to read of a non 9mm KB with a Bar Sto barrel.

If a logical person was to read Speir site, they would see articles about non Glock KB's, even some rifle KB's. If Speir only went after Glocks, he would lose credibility. He wants to be an informative site, and uses proper sources and cites for his articles.

Too many glockovics see on article about a Glock KB, so they stick their thumb in their mouth, run and hide under the bed. If they took the time to look around TGZ, they might be interested to see the information about other firearms, and not always KB's. They don't realize that they can read TGZ with an open mind, and afterward, go bow down to their black velvet poster of Gaston Glock, and recite 10 "hail Gastons", and 25 "our Gastons" and be forgiven. Gaston is a very forgiving guy, he will forgive you if you say your "hail Gastons", and your "our Gastons" for penance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
document all you want. im not saying it doesnt happen. it does. but not in the volume youre trying to shove down our throats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts