National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say you have a intruder, BUT he doesn't know your there. Are you going to say "DONT COME IN I'LL SHOOT YOU!"? I feel like that is almost a invite for a intruder that has a weapon. You never know.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
NO.

That is one of the reasons I do not subscribe to gun rag\gun shop "stuff" about racking the slide of a 12 gauge to intimidate a criminal.

I figure any type of noise only tells him where you are, that you are armed, aware, and that he needs to act first to get the upper hand. I think he will realize I am armed when he hears the report of the gunshot, and feels the bullets invade his body.

Otherwise, he now knows exactly where you are, and your path of travel to close the gap between the two of you, and that he has to act first, and possibly take cover.

I like the idea of having the element of surprise on my side.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
find cover. not concealment. cover. there is a difference. cover the entrances, call the popos if he starts to come in the room then give him the oprotunity to stop. be it racking the slide or telling him to hault. non compliance is considered a hostile action

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If he's walking around your home with a gun exposed, shoot him immediately.

If he's not showing a visible weapon, or has an impact weapon, and you can do so from a (relatively) safe position, challenge him.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't think i would give them a chance to make a decision of whether to leave when they here my shotgun rack a round into the chamber. i'm agaist giving them any heads up or warning from where i'm at, especially since you never know if there are multiple invaders or just the one you see. with a 2 year old and a pregnant wife in my house, any intruder is considered hostile to me and will be dropped without question. i'm not a cop trained to take prisoners, i'm a legally armed citizen who views the saftey of my family over possible legal fallout. just because i can't see a weapon/firearm/knife doesn't mean it isn't there. not a chance i'm willing to take. i'm a fairly quick shot, but i'm sure there are quicker ones out there. besides, half the intruders now days are going to be coked up and may require a little extra lead to 'calm' them down.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is not much time to make a decision. Exposing your position may cost you the time to determine if it is the neighbors kid trying to still your tv or someone out to do you harm. Know your target.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't give away your position. You know the layout of your home, the intruder probably doesn't. You have have the advantage, don't give it away.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it is just my wife and I we would keep the bedroom door locked and let the police come to investigate the alarm. But if that bedroom door were to be kicked open the person on the other end would have a 00 buck load in him before he knew what was coming. My job is to keep my wife and I safe, I am not going to investigate the alarm or the window break. That is the job of the local police.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We have had extra house keys made up and attached them to glow sticks. In case of a break in, we'll activate the stick, throw the key out the window for the police.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
standerson said:
We have had extra house keys made up and attached them to glow sticks. In case of a break in, we'll activate the stick, throw the key out the window for the police.
if there is a break in and a perp in the house the cops arent going to use keys. unless you use steel reinforced doors and door jams. in which case how the hell did they get in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
leeindy said:
standerson said:
if there is a break in and a perp in the house the cops arent going to use keys. unless you use steel reinforced doors and door jams. in which case how the hell did they get in.
Windows? Patio doors? That's how the hell they get in. And yes, police use keys to get into houses. Makes the entry a little bit easier than kicking the door.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
If I can tell the intruder is not my father, who studily decided to let himself in without knocking (he knows better), or my wife... No warning, sorry. There could be another intruder U don't know about... Don't give away your position.

Now, if U live in a state that requires you retreat, U may have to.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I have three furry burglar alarms. One is a great dane/shpard mix that is extremely protective of my wife. They are all laid back dogs normally and rarely react to little normal bumps in the night, like the sound of the house settling or the cat jumping around. But even if someone is only standing by any of the entry doors, they go off. Since these guys will be making enough racket to wake the dead, the sound of me racking the slide on my shotgun wouldn't be heard anyway over the barking. Personally, I wish I could train the dogs to bark and hide if an intruder gets in. I prefer that they stay out of the way and let me deal with things.

Now if we were all alone, and someone was walking around in the house under the cover of darkness, the last thing probably heard would be the "snick" of the safety coming off the double barreled coach gun. Two full house loads of double ought, then I go to the pistol.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
This can go both ways. If you don't challenge the intruder and he doesn't know anyone is home, he will eventually find you and the confrontation will develop while he is in the same room. You may suprise him with the shotgun blast to the chest without him ever knowing you are there. If that intruder turns out to be your high school daughters female friends sneaking in because they got drunk and were too scared to go to their own home, well you can just live with that one.

I think it depends on how they got in the house and how the situation was developing. If I hear glass breaking or the door being kicked in violently, I am probably just going to blow them right back out the door.

On the other hand, I may very well challenge someone entering my home with a shotgun aimed right at their chest and leave the decision up to them if they want to live or die.

My tactics are from years of L.E. duty, so I think that I am naturally going to challenge someone unless the situation calls for an immediate shot.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Oh, I absolutely agree. You MUST know your target and what is beyond. That is the nice thing about being empty Nester's, ain't no one supposed to be here but the honey and me. If my post led anyone to think that I was talking about being a Duke Nukem, kicking open the bedroom door and blasting everything standing there, that is not what I meant. The threat must be identified and be isolated as much and possible.

Bottom line, if I see someone in my house with a weapon in hand, no excuses I will not put my wife nor me in danger by announcing my presence.

The best quote I heard on matters like this comes from the comedian Chris Rock:
"Unless you are planning on breaking into my house, you shouldn't worry about the shotgun in my closet".

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I do know of a guy here in Florida who told the intruder , "COME IN I GOT SOMTHING FOR YOUR ASS". The intruder came in and the guy shot him 3 times. The intruder lives and guess who went to jail? Yep the owner. He TOLD the intruder to COME IN.... He invited the intruder in.

Just becareful what you say to an intruder.... I would rather keep quiet.

Another thing is if you have a laser you should NOT use it untill you see him. Its going to give your location away quicker and easier than yelling. That red beam is a bullseye for a intruder.... Keep that in mind.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
This can go both ways. If you don't challenge the intruder and he doesn't know anyone is home, he will eventually find you and the confrontation will develop while he is in the same room. You may suprise him with the shotgun blast to the chest without him ever knowing you are there. If that intruder turns out to be your high school daughters female friends sneaking in because they got drunk and were too scared to go to their own home, well you can just live with that one.

I think it depends on how they got in the house and how the situation was developing. If I hear glass breaking or the door being kicked in violently, I am probably just going to blow them right back out the door.

On the other hand, I may very well challenge someone entering my home with a shotgun aimed right at their chest and leave the decision up to them if they want to live or die.

My tactics are from years of L.E. duty, so I think that I am naturally going to challenge someone unless the situation calls for an immediate shot.

Good advice. I will not shoot someone until I know they are a threat. I will take the chance and give them the chance to run. If they don't then I fear for my life and I shoot to protect myself and my family. If they shoot first then so be it, I know the lay of the house and they don't. I have a major advantage.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wouldnt let him know I have a gun until I have him in my sights. Then if I see a weapon Im shooting before I say anything. If I dont see a weapon Ill tell him to show his hands if he wont them Im dropping him fast an hard. Here in Ohio you have to prove that your life was in danger if someone breaks in your home. Screw that. If you break in my home how do I know what your going to do or not do. Im not taking any chances with my life or my girls life. You break in someone home you deserve what happens to you. There trying to change that Ohio law so that if we shoot someone we wont have to answer for protecting our home an family.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
I wait till I have him in my sights and I give him a single warning. As per Colorado law, if I think he's there to commit a crime that isn't breaking and entering and I think he might wanna hurt me, I'm dropping him. But generally, criminals don't break in for tea and crumpets.

Colorado Statute 18-1-704.5 said:
1. The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes.

2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.

3. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.

4. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Cake said:
I wait till I have him in my sights and I give him a single warning. As per Colorado law, if I think he's there to commit a crime that isn't breaking and entering and I think he might wanna hurt me, I'm dropping him. But generally, criminals don't break in for tea and crumpets.

Colorado Statute 18-1-704.5 said:
1. The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes.

2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.

3. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.

4. Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.
We're trying to get such a law in Virginia.

As I understand it, Castle Doctrine legislation has failed in the past because case law on this is so robust.

But I can't find the cases, and shouldn't have to interpret legaleze to know what my rights are.

Besides, protection from civil suit would be nice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts