National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thought about the states and even cities that are attempting to ban what they are calling "Ghost Guns" that "OMG" do not have serial numbers. Just for discussion I would like to throw out there a "solution" for us builders. What I did for my own sake in the case of one of them being stolen and for tracing the loss ( and to satisfy those places that demand reporting) was to stamp or engrave a made up number on them. I used my initials, a number ( I used 1791) plus a 001, 002, etc. Now I realize that many will just say to eat the loss as there is no way to trace it back to the individual but who knows, a criminal who might later get caught with all the other stuff he stole from you too and admit to the theft and that the weapon was from your place. All of us know a liberal DA will jump at the chance to prosecute you for this. You then might be able (along with your attorney ) to argue that your weapon was indeed serialized. From what I have seen, the places that are putting these "laws" into effect don't seem to be saying what type of "serial number" you need. Also, yours will indeed be unique to that firearm and you.
As I said, this is just for discussion and I am not promoting any method for others to use.
I would enjoy hearing other's thought on this.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
27,249 Posts
The biggest attraction of "Ghost Guns" is that the government doesn't have a record that you purchased a firearm. Most law-abiding citizens believe that is not any of the government business, as to what firearms they own.

Engraving your own serial number (that only you have a record of) is probably a good idea for the reason stated. However, keep in mind that a good number of firearms recovered never goes back to the owner. Local governments have been known to sell or destroy recovered firearms, leaving the original owner SOL.

Reactions: Wag and GRBOU812

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get that the chances, even if the gun is found, are slim that you would ever be able to get it back. For myself, it's really giving the middle finger to government.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Do not comply… that’s our only recourse

Do not comply with laws and regs and edicts and exec orders and all other BS that comes from bureaucrats and the progressive judiciary

Do not comply

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that, originally, the serial numbers were for tracking factory inventory. It was later that it became used for other tracking.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
The 80% lower companies won’t ship to states like NJ that don’t allow you to build one. I’m not sure it legal to stop the manufacturers from shipping them but if it did get shipped, I’d expect a guy with a badge at my door before too long. I’m not sure they have the right to stop you from building a gun ether but I don’t want to be the test case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 80% lower companies won’t ship to states like NJ that don’t allow you to build one. I’m not sure it legal to stop the manufacturers from shipping them but if it did get shipped, I’d expect a guy with a badge at my door before too long. I’m not sure they have the right to stop you from building a gun ether but I don’t want to be the test case.
Although it was nothing to do with an 80% part it was for an accessory that the company would not ship to my state. I had a relative in another state that would allow such delivery ( I could not believe that it happened to be California that would allow it. I guess they had not gotten around to that one yet. ) , had it shipped to that relative who then forwarded it to to me. I know that I might get in trouble for that but I am a bit of a rebel like many of you out there plus there is no record of that item being shipped to me.. Like other places that ban such parts there is no actual law on the books against it (most of the time) but instead a bureaucratic "reinterpretation" of some bureaucratic rule because they have not been able to pass a law yet. Companies providing those parts just don't want to bother with the headaches involved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts