National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
my boyfriend has wanted a shotgun for a while, and i'm trying to decide whether to get a remington 870 or mossberg 500 (both 12 gauge) for his birthday.

i know almost nothing about buying a gun (how to go about doing it) and also which one to get (i.e. which components are important to look out for). he lives in CA and i live in NY, if that makes things more complicated in terms of buying the gun. i want to buy it for him but it would be registered in his name - i guess i would have to pick it up somewhere in CA when I visit him?

also, is it possible to get either one of those NEW for under $350 (with $400 as the absolute limit)? i want it to be a good gun too, but i just don't know if i would have to pay $400+ for a great shotgun. what's the range of the price attributed to exactly (for a NEW shotgun)?

if anyone knows of a reputable place where i can get a shotgun (like an online broker), i would really appreciate the advice/referrals, as well as some info to get me started on the process (like what I have to do). obviously, a discussion on which shotgun to get is welcome too!

thanks so much in advance for all your help (and sorry for all the questions, i'm a totally noob)!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't really know California or New York gun laws, so I can't help you with that.

My dad and I recently looked into pump action shotguns, ourselves. If $400 is your limit, the Mossbergs will fit that bill better than the Remingtons. If I remember correctly, we saw one of the decked out tactical versions of the Mossberg 500 for right at $400 brand new, whereas a comparable Remington 870 was $480. There's a raging debate over which is better (i.e. quality, location of the safety, etc.) with many picking the Remington 870 over the Mossberg 500. Personally, I think it's like comparing Ford to Chevy and Coke to Pepsi - it's a personal preference. In any case, most law enforcement agencies prefer the 870 and the Marine Corps prefers the Mossberg 590 (the military version of the 500), so you can't really go wrong either way.

Good luck.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
You will save money in shipping, handling and FFL fees by sending him the money and having him purchase the shotgun himself.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,007 Posts
Either would do well to fulfill your gift-giving. Personally, I'd go with the Rem 870 simply for the aftermarket parts and availability. As far as you in Cali and BF somewhere else. Couldn't say how to best work things other than to purchase online, and have sent to his local FFL. If you buy....you'll need to pick up.....otherwise it's a straw purchase in the eyes of the feds.
In my honest, and down to earth opinion.......save your cash, and take your BF shopping when you get there. Keep your eye open for shops that have what you're thinking about in stock, or contact those that do have in stock now and save with a CC. My best advice.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts
I've had my Mossberg 500 for 45 year now, gift from my dad when I was 12. We all got one when we were 12. It's my favorite to be honest, probably because my dad gave it to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,832 Posts
You will save money in shipping, handling and FFL fees by sending him the money and having him purchase the shotgun himself.

^^^ This...Or when you get there take him to the store as a surprise, give him the $350.00 in a Birthday card, and let him pick it out. Sounds like a great Birthday present to me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Both shotguns are well made and would be a great gift for your man. I think you'll be able to acquire the Mossberg for a bit less, but both will be a gift that keeps on giving for a long time. :wink:

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Yep. Also which is better? Both have good reputations and histories. But let him pick it out. Will be cheaper and a heck of a lot less headaches than dealing with a gun purchase and transfer in 2 different states that are not known to be gun friendly.

·
Pissed Old Lady
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I was looking for a gf that would buy me one....but my wife said no way.......
Now you sound like me lol.

I'm a mossberg man myself :p
Rem 870 is nice but I don't like where the pump release is located, I like it behind the trigger guard, it doesn't pinch your fingers :p
Once again though, it's all personal preference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you!

thanks everyone for your input! seems like the best thing to do is just to take him myself when i get to CA and let him pick it out. It just seems less romantic because I think he would have liked for me to have done the research and picked one out for him, but definitely way cheaper, so seems like that's the best way to go! thanks again!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts