National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I have 3 choices of where to buy guns in my area. One is a Wal Mart-sized superstore (sounds awesome but it sucks) the prices are usually lowest but employees are clueless, commissioned jerks. The other two are small locally owned shops without much stock. One is staffed by arrogant, Glock tatooed meatheads so I don't like it there much either. This brings me to my current transaction at the 3rd store. I went in to order a Ruger LCP, he told me it would be a week or so and i gladly put a $100 deposit down and gave him my number. He said there were two orders ahead of me and I would get the 3rd one, showing me his ledger to "prove" this. I went in a week and a half later to check if it was in and still nothing. He must have forgotten he showed me his book and showed me again, this time there was an order for 3 LCPs ahead of mine! "Sorry" he said, you'll get the next one in, I'll call you in a few days. It has been another week and a half and no call, I'm going in tommorrow and if i got bumped for a bigger fish again I'm going to be seriously disappointed. I like to support local businesses when I can but this is why people end up at Wal-Mart, if no one cares about you anyway just go after the best price. Sorry for the long post, just had to vent.

·
Registered
811 Posts
There are 5 gun stores within driving distance of my home. I do most of my business with the one closest to me, the owner is a nice guy, knows his guns and has the best prices.
Two of the others are ok but the other two dont seem to care if they sell you anything or not.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I ordered my LCP the day they distributed, and got one right away. Now... after a ton of review, and articles... they're the new "hot item".

I completely understand your view, and that does suck... HOWEVER, just keep in mind, that "no one" really has any of the LCP's in stock. They're tough to get... for anyone.

You find them on gunbroker.com, all at least $100 over list price!

Right now... The LCP is a tough one... for everyone, everywhere. I assure you Wal-Mart is not getting it for you either.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Here is the way to fix this.

1) Form a relationship with the gunship.

2) Buy something no matter how small every time you go there, even if it costs you a little more than down the street.

3) Get to know their names, make sure they know yours.

4) Visit but don;t be a counter rat.

5) Don't drink their coffee unless it is offered.

6) Ask their advise about gun stuff that you don't need to buy. "I am thinking of changing my deer gun, what caliber do you use?"

These are the things you do to get on the short list. I do gunsmithing as a side. Nothing big, mostly sights, reliability work (I love these ask me about this some other time) and barrel changes. And about three times a year I'll build something for sale. Once in a while I'll take in a pistol for a full customization. When a guy asks me why he should buy or use me for gunsmithing, I tell them "You know me. You were referred to me or you would not be standing here. You know where I live. If something happens that it my fault, I will fix it for you. If a part I installed breaks, I will fix it and only charge you for the part. I will be there for your "gun emergencies, as long as you don't call me at 2AM the night before you are heading out deer hunting or 20 minutes before a big match. If you take the gun I built/worked on somewhere else, and then expect me to fix what some other idiot messed up, you lost ME." Most gun shop owners and gunsmiths feel that way. There is a reason why guys that shop around are called trollers or looky-loos. You waste their time. When you buy from the guy that you stand eye to eye with, you are generally getting him in the form of his knowledge in the deal, if he is a good businessman.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Sage advice, Brother Dogsoldier! Stated perfectly. I have a gunsmith I now use exclusively for my and my customers' needs. We were introduced by a mutual friend/coyote hunter. I don't waste his time nor he mine. But when he tells me something, I don't have to check it out. No-nonsense, no BS, if he doesn't know he doesn't make anything up. But that's a rare occurrence.

My best customers respect my time and I respect their needs. I return the favor and remember them when they need a hard-to-find item.

I'm sometimes asked if I can beat Wal-Mart on a Ruger 10/22 or Sportsman's Warehouse on a Remington 870 Express. I tell them, "Hell no, they buy them by the trainload and sell them (often) for less than my wholesale price". By the same token, when they want a Springfield TRP Operator, loaded, with carbon grips and three extra magazines, and I can't find it in 48 hours, I don't think they'll be over at Wally World comparing prices.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
+1 to that. When I went to buy my XD45, The counter guy was very patient with me. I must of asked to hold 15-20 guns before I decided on the XD45. The gun store is a tad bit more expensive there, but everyone knows my name and they make me feel like a person.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Gun shops are no different than any other business... There will certainly be some that are less then desirable for various reasons. Yet, that is not true of the entire industry.

If you run into a shop that does not meet your expectations.... find another, or at least try to. Don't just say to yourself "all gun shops suck, I'm going to Wal-Mart!"

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Unfortunately, we don't really have any gun shops around. Our choices (within a reasonable driving distance) are Academy, Walmart, Gander Mountain, and Carter's Country (smaller chain). That's why I prefer to go through an FFL. He knows me by name and recently put me on his mailing list (which is mildly entertaining). Plus, I know the money stays local. Check your area agust and see if anyone can recommend a good FFL. It worked for me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I just had a very bad buying experience at Wal Mart involving not the law but address policies of the corporation.
Never again. I will pay more to use a gun shop even if I have to travel to get to one.
Also, you should know that Wal Mart employees do not get a commission on anything.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just got home with my LCP, he called about 30 minutes before I was heading down there to ask WTF? They are very nice people and I will probably buy there again someday but it really irks me that I got bumped down the waiting list for "better" customers. Also, the gun came in awfully oily. I understand why but no other gun I've ever bought has been quite so oiled up, maybe they are concerned about a rust problem, i hope not.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I just got home with my LCP, he called about 30 minutes before I was heading down there to ask WTF? They are very nice people and I will probably buy there again someday but it really irks me that I got bumped down the waiting list for "better" customers. Also, the gun came in awfully oily. I understand why but no other gun I've ever bought has been quite so oiled up, maybe they are concerned about a rust problem, i hope not.
Thats good news! Glad you were able to get that new Ruger. Its a fine looking pistol. Can I ask what you ended up paying for it?

I imagine they are delivering these new guns very quickly since there is a big backlog and he did not get a chance to clean it up for you. If it was me making the sale I would have told you, sorry I did not get a chance to clean up the gun, here is a free box of ammo. Then you would have been a happy camper for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$300 out he door, only one mag though. Extra mags are $40 from ruger and I've seen them on web sites for $26.....AbleAmmo.com I think it was.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Here is the way to fix this.

1) Form a relationship with the gunship.

2) Buy something no matter how small every time you go there, even if it costs you a little more than down the street.

3) Get to know their names, make sure they know yours.

4) Visit but don;t be a counter rat.

5) Don't drink their coffee unless it is offered.

6) Ask their advise about gun stuff that you don't need to buy. "I am thinking of changing my deer gun, what caliber do you use?"

These are the things you do to get on the short list. I do gunsmithing as a side. Nothing big, mostly sights, reliability work (I love these ask me about this some other time) and barrel changes. And about three times a year I'll build something for sale. Once in a while I'll take in a pistol for a full customization. When a guy asks me why he should buy or use me for gunsmithing, I tell them "You know me. You were referred to me or you would not be standing here. You know where I live. If something happens that it my fault, I will fix it for you. If a part I installed breaks, I will fix it and only charge you for the part. I will be there for your "gun emergencies, as long as you don't call me at 2AM the night before you are heading out deer hunting or 20 minutes before a big match. If you take the gun I built/worked on somewhere else, and then expect me to fix what some other idiot messed up, you lost ME." Most gun shop owners and gunsmiths feel that way. There is a reason why guys that shop around are called trollers or looky-loos. You waste their time. When you buy from the guy that you stand eye to eye with, you are generally getting him in the form of his knowledge in the deal, if he is a good businessman.

I have to give this a +1. My dad has had the same problem with he LCP's. We have got two of them so far. Both sold within MINUTES. We have a list that is at least 2 pages long. We did not take a deposit because we do not know if we can get them in a reasonable time.

Many people come in offering up to 600.00 for this Lil hot piece. In our case we go to bun broker buy one and sell it for 50-100 more. That's how we solve that problem. We DO NOT bump people up in line to purchase the HOT STUFF. Even if you have shopped with my dad for 20 years he will not do that. The people who are good friends with my dad UNDERSTAND. If they dont understand then they know my dad will tell them to hit the next store they come across. My dad plays it fair. That simple.

I can say my dad has that ignore thing about him. He will play on his computer and ignore the customer. He is busy working on holsters, ordering ammo, or guns. What ever the case may be there is someone there to assist the customer, but he doesn't like to talk much. This would be his downfall.

For his downfall, he has hired one of the BEST gunsmiths my dad and I have ever seen. He can restore a gun better than factory new. He is also one of the best salesman I have ever seen. He is good and researches in stock guns so he dont look like a total idiot when trying to sell the gun.

To get back to the quote I posted, you have to start somewhere. Sometimes you have to be the one starting the relationship. If you go in there on a regular basis, buy small stuff(This is optional, just buy something every now and then so you don't look like your in there price checking), and make small talk. Names are very important. Once a man can remember your name you are basically set. You then have developed a well relationship.

These would be the tip n hints I would give you. Although I do think it is wrong what he did. I would still try making a good relationship as maybe he got in a jam. You never know.

Just my 10 cents worth for the day.:wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts