National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Short Version:

Any suggestions on what I can set my Dillon 650XL up on? Would a standard workbench work? I am concerned about the progressive loader staying stable while in operation. Also, cheapest places to buy projectiles, primer and powder online (all for target shooting 9mm, .44 special and mag)? Good brands? Bad brands? Target shooting loads for 9mm, .44 special and .44 mag?

Long Version:

I used to reload about 10 years ago and I still have my Dillon 650XL and all the stuff I used to reload with. I moved and didn't have a place to set it up, plus I couldn't find a range I liked so drifted away from shooting. Now, 10 years or so later, I'm getting back into it all again.

First thing I discovered was that factory ammo prices went insane!!! Fortunately, I saved all my reloading stuff so set-up costs will be minimum. I even still have some brass and projectiles along with primers. I doubt the powder is still good.

Main problem is space and having a place to reload. When I lived up in PA I had it all on a very sturdy built-in workbench in the garage. Now I have to try and figure out a way to set it up in my small FL apartment. I wasn't going to, but ammo prices are driving me to it. Any suggestions on what I can set my Dillon 650XL up on? Would a standard workbench work? I am concerned about the progressive loader staying stable while in operation.

I think I still have my reloading books and notes, somewhere. I really hope I still have my notes on my favorite loads. Any suggestions on target shooting loads for 9mm, .44 special and .44 mag?

Where is the cheapest place for me to buy components? Cheapest brands for projectiles, primer and powder? Are there any brands I should stay away from? Basically, I'm looking for the cheapest way to support my re-awakened shooting habit. I've been doing 500+ rounds per week, and it's too damn expensive to keep buying factory ammo. Actually, I might still spend the same amount when I reload, just shoot lots more, lol.

Any other random reloading tips/suggestions also appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I don't reload, but I thought that I would throw out this suggestion early so that others who are more knowledgeable than I could comment on it.

I've used mine for a variety of projects, it is very stable and folds up nicely for storage when not in use.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
If you can spare the room a Craftsman Work Bench is the answer. Here's a picture of mine. It's about 2'x4' and that's a XL-650 and a SDB Dillon on it.

So far as supplies here's the best outfit in Florida to deal with. They have no added fees and you only pay what it cost them to ship. You could also place a order with them and pick it up at the Orlando gun show as they are always there.
http://spacecoastbullets.com/ Good luck. :-B-:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baldy said:
If you can spare the room a Craftsman Work Bench is the answer. Here's a picture of mine. It's about 2'x4' and that's a XL-650 and a SDB Dillon on it.
Nice setup! 4' would really be pushing it. I wonder if they have something similar at 3' instead.

So far as supplies here's the best outfit in Florida to deal with. They have no added fees and you only pay what it cost them to ship. You could also place a order with them and pick it up at the Orlando gun show as they are always there.
http://spacecoastbullets.com/ Good luck. :-B-:
Thanks! I'll check them out.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris

I use a Black&Decker Workmate set up next to the design table in my holster shop. I have both my Dillon Square DealB, RCBS Rock Chucker, and powder drop mounted on the table. I have enough room for my scale and a couple of plastic bins on the table. I keep a couple of bins for my bullets and brass on each side of the Dillon. I store my primers and extra primer fill tubes in the Workmate's drawer. For stability the Dillon is mounted on a 3/4" board and I place my boxes of bullets on the shelf below the drawer. To use my Rock Chucker, I unbolt the C-Clamps and move the press to the front of the table next to the Dillon. Of course, I use my design table to hold any extras, which are then put away when I'm done reloding.
I tried to attach photos of my set up, but for some unknown reason have not been able to.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
One of my great finds was an old metal office desk. It takes up space, but it never moves. In your situation, I'd rig a quick mount sort of thing so I could attach and detach the press. (Store it in a closet or something.)

You could probably use a smaller desk, also. Just be careful with your quick mount so you don't mar the desktop.

Another thought in an apartment is to assign one closet as 'your' closet and set up a small stand in the closet. It only works and is visible when the door is open.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where there is a will, there is a way!

Many years ago I was temporarily assigned to an out of town workplace. It was out in the sticks where I could easily shoot within 50 yards of my housing. I got a few C-clamps and a 2'X3' piece of 3/4" plywood and attached my handloading tools to the plywood. I then C-clamped it to the counter top and made thousands of rounds of handloads.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Absolutely, Mr. 454PB! I used an RCBS Junior and C-Clamps for years. Prior to that I used both a Lee hand loader (dies and a hammer) and one of those old Lyman hand presses (great for loading at the range, by the way). Along the way, I lived in tiny houses, small apartments and IBMs (itty-bitty mobile homes) and kept reloading. I'm stubburn and cheep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts