National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in CA and want to buy my first gun in AZ.
Are there any waiting periods or registration required to do this?
Can someone tell me the process for this?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
FFL dealers are hooked into the instant background check system. You can legally buy a long gun in another state. You can legally purchase a handgun only in your home state. Same for everyone in every state. IIRC

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
FFL dealers are hooked into the instant background check system. You can legally buy a long gun in another state. You can legally purchase a handgun only in your home state. Same for everyone in every state. IIRC
True dat.
You can purchase out of state and have the gun shipped to an FFL in your home state to be transferred there, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Just move to AZ to avoid any complications with this transaction.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Buying any long gun out of state is as easy as filling out the yellow sheet.

Buying a pistol out of state is in violation of the 1986 "Firearms owners protection act" Aptly named. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
IIRC, you can take delivery of a long gun at point of purchase

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright. I will just move to Arizona.
California has some of the strictest gun laws.
We need to somehow abolish all these nonsense gun laws so everyone can have some sort of firearm for their own needs.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Treath,
You really need to check on the restriction and requirements, including the list of California legal firearms before you attempt to purchase anything from out of state or across state lines. Laws in most states (free states that is) will allow sale of long guns to residents of "contiguous" states - that is states with common borders - although NJ and NY have some odd complications thrown in, which makes selling a resident of those states dicey here in PA - but, we do have the PA Insta Check system to fall back on.
California has so many restrictions and many of those are so difficult to understand that MOST dealers from outside of Kalifornika will not sell to residents. What ever you hear/see/read on the internet may or maynot be valid, you need to do your own research. "IIRC" doesn't qualify as legal advice, it just adds to the responders posting totals.

·
Registered
283 Posts
While I can see no state law prohibiting it, my experience is that most gun shops will not sell handguns to out of state persons.

Not in Arizona. We can buy guns in any state!!

13-3106. Firearm purchase in other states

A person residing in this state, or a corporation or other business entity maintaining a place of business in this state, may purchase or otherwise obtain firearms anywhere in the United States if such purchase or acquisition fully complies with the laws of this state and the state in which the purchase or acquisition is made and the purchaser and seller, prior to the sale or delivery for sale, have complied with all the requirements of the federal gun control act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, section 922, subsection (c) and the Code of Federal Regulations, volume 26, section 178.96, subsection (c).
ARS 13-3106

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03106.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

·
Registered
402 Posts
Unconstitutional federal law, but yeah, you can't buy a handgun from an FFL in another state.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
In actuality, you can purchase a firearm from a different State than your State of residence. Its just that you can't take delivery of said firearm until it has been transferred to a FFL holder residing in your State of residence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts