National Gun Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started packing my Gerber "Stud Gator" knife with the over-molded rubber handle when out walking.

Do you think it would be a good defense against an aggressive dog??

I pack a small handgun also but an very hesitant to use it unless I got into big trouble.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
If you're using anything hand-held (other than a firearm) against an aggressive dog, you've pretty much already lost the match. You're too close and the dog's too fast.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I have beat several dogs with one of these, both on and off duty. They work great and give you some distance at which to engage. They are great for all types of personal defense. Keep your knife handy as well (I love Gerber knives) just add something like this or a loaded walking cane to your walks if you think you may run into trouble with a dog.

If it is a pitbull or a rottweiler or the like, I would probably just shoot it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SatanzBountyHunter said:
I have beat several dogs with one of these, both on and off duty. They work great and give you some distance at which to engage. They are great for all types of personal defense. Keep your knife handy as well (I love Gerber knives) just add something like this or a loaded walking cane to your walks if you think you may run into trouble with a dog.

If it is a pitbull or a rottweiler or the like, I would probably just shoot it.

Hummmmmmmmm...............you raise a good point. I wonder if the ASP is legal for regular citizens to carry for defense. Looks like a good option.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have a shoulder harness for my ASP and it works pretty good. I don't carry it as much as I used to before I began toting a gun. It still has its nitch though. They are very well made and dependable.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
If your are not positive whether a dog is being aggressive or not be sure to engage it with your off arm so you can shoot with your good hand. Most dogs will back away from loud noise so scream loudly at it and if there are people around making it unsafe to shoot, fire a shot into the air, this may scare it off. If you must fend of an attack, offer your off hand forearm for the bite. This will give you the most control over the rest of your body and is tough for a dog to break bone through that much muscle. Never fight with/offer your hand to a bite. A dog bite on the hand will cause near paralyzing pain. As for the knife...like I said keep your hands away from that mouth. Shoot it if you can.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Pepper spray will work on a dog. If the dog is aggresive, the pepper spray can be fun too! It keeps you from getting bitten and saves someone from calling the cops about "man with a gun".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts