National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so on my first AR build I "thought" I built it based on a carbine length gas system. Barrel is carbine length. I decided to change my front fore endfrom a Magpil to a free floating. Because of this I have to change my gas block. I have two spare carbine length gadgets tubes BUT my original is approximately 11.5".

My question is do I actually have a mid-length or even rifle length system???

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Posting via mobile: gas tube NOT gadgets. Also forgot to say that I obviously noticed the difference between the two spares and the original tube.

·
Live Free
2,867 Posts
If you are saying the original gas tube is 11.5” that is close to the typical 12” for rifle length gas system. How long is your barrel?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it helps any as it may be hard to see in the pic, but the gas port on the barrel is ~10.25" from the feed ramp.

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
Does the gas block not fit under the hand guard at all or is the hand guard a thread on style which prevents you from spinning it while the gas block is on the barrel? if it's the latter sometimes you can set up the gas block and tube, remove it and then install the hand guard and slide the gas block and tube under the hand guard and tighten the lock screws through the k-mod or what ever type of holes you have(if it's not solid). I had to do this on one of my builds. It's a little bit of a pain but it works.

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
Just to give you an example here is mine, you see there is virtually no room to spin the hand guard with the gas block in place(it threads on the barrel nut).

20200106_065325[1].jpg

Here are the set screws under it.
20200106_065349[1].jpg

You may also need a dowel or brass rod to tap in place or remove if it's a tight fit which mine is.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm changing my handguard/forearm from a Magpul with delta and end plate to a free floating. The Magpul is heavy and is near impossible to get my b.u.i.s. to work. My old gas block is too large to fit because it has the picatinny rails on it. My new gas block is a low profile.

I'm just confused on which gas tube/system length I actually have. From the start I thought I had a carbine but obviously not.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, looking on line seems to give differing/conflicting info on tube lengths as I illustrated in the couple of pics I posted.

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
So why aren't you just using the gas tube that was on the rifle? If all you're changing is the block and hand guard just use the old tube and it should work no?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dont know that I can remove the roll pin. Plan on selling the block so I figured I'd sell it as a set. Are tube roll pins fairly easy to remove?

·
Registered
13,190 Posts
Dont know that I can remove the roll pin. Plan on selling the block so I figured I'd sell it as a set. Are tube roll pins fairly easy to remove?
Yeah they aren't too bad providing you have it in a vise and use the proper punch. Roll pin punches are ideal but if you have one that's the same diameter as the hole they will usually work too. if you use one too small they like to drive right through the hold in the roll pin which isn't a fun scenario. Those tiny ones are usually harder to get in than out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts