National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
22,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas prices are dropping – to less than $1 per gallon in a few locations – but most Americans aren't supposed to go anywhere. That's the irony of the coronavirus lockdown.

The national average price for a gallon of gas is now $1.997, according to AAA, and it's expected to drop further in the next few weeks – to $1.75 or even lower.

Prices vary across the country. In two states, Hawaii and California, the average price at the pump is still above $3. But drivers are paying less than $1.99 at more than two-thirds of the gas stations in the U.S., according to AAA data. In Oklahoma, the average price is $1.55.

Individual gas stations can go even cheaper – multiple stations across the U.S. have sold a gallon of gas for less than $1, at least temporarily, according to GasBuddy.

"In the last week, 99 cent prices have shown up at various times in Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Missouri and more could join in the days and weeks ahead," the price-tracking site said.

Gasoline is cheap because crude oil prices have plummeted. The coronavirus pandemic has ground much of the world economy to a halt, creating a stunning drop in oil demand. And there's an increasing supply because of a price war between major producers Saudi Arabia and Russia. Both developments have sent oil prices down to around $20 a barrel.

"When you combine cheap crude oil with diminishing demand because everyone's staying at home and not driving," says AAA spokeswoman Jeanette Casselano, "you have cheap gas prices, which was what we're seeing across the country."

But most drivers aren't feeling a big boost to their budgets because of cheap gas, as the activity of ordinary life has ground nearly to a halt under shelter-in-place orders and social distancing.

If you're not driving your car very often, AAA notes, try to keep your tank full or nearly full and consider adding a fuel stabilizer.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/31/8244...2-a-few-stations-are-even-selling-for-under-1

· Registered
396 Posts
$1.85 this morning at the station I usually go to. We can still go out for drives and such, they just want to limit close contact with other people.

· Super Moderator
16,604 Posts
In the $1.60s on Monday on interstates across Texas. Saw some E85 for $1.40 and some 100% gas! for $1.97 in North Texas.

Alan

· Registered
18,036 Posts
US production will stop, and we'll be dependent on overseas oil again. What a shame. But the good news is, Trump will have four more years for a comeback, he's the only one that can do it.

· Registered
22,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$1.69 today in Lakeville, MN.

BEWARE!!!!!!!!! NEXT TO THE BANK ATM MACHINE BUTTONS, THE GAS PUMP HANDLE IS ONE OF THE FILTHIEST SURFACES IN PUBLIC. WIPE YER MUCKY MAULERS OFF CLEAN AFTER SELF-SERVE OR WEAR GLOVES.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,014 Posts
US production will stop, and we'll be dependent on overseas oil again. What a shame. But the good news is, Trump will have four more years for a comeback, he's the only one that can do it.
Dependent? If buying oil from overseas is cheaper than pumping it out of the ground here, we should buy it from over there and save our supply for whenever they jack up their prices again. There is nothing to stop us from re-starting US production in the future.

Actually we should take advantage of the cheap oil prices and resupply the Strategic Oil Reserves using foreign oil. Otherwise we will be paying more in the future if we don't do it now.

· Registered
3,573 Posts
Saw it at 1.39 yesterday.
Here in Texas we love our oil industry.
Remember, too low oil prices will put a lot of folks out of work. Frackers, oil field workers, refinery workers. Tanker ship crews.
We need reasonable gas prices not dirt cheap. Not good for the economy

· Registered
8,425 Posts
$1.85 this morning at the station I usually go to. We can still go out for drives and such, they just want to limit close contact with other people.
Same here about driving; planning on getting out of the house today and going for a nice drive on some country two lane roads

· Registered
18,036 Posts
I went cruising on the scooter. Howard Park is open, it's a private park so they can do that. Went down to the sponge docks and through town. Sad seeing everything closed. Beautiful Friday, sponge docks would be teaming with people. Sad.

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Text Font Green Line Screenshot

Gas prices here in my part of NJ are anywhere from $2.24 - $1.99. We have a $.44 tax on gas. There’s no taxes on home heating oil but the price is about the same a gas. Go figure. I know, because they can.

· Registered
8,425 Posts
I went cruising on the scooter. Howard Park is open, it's a private park so they can do that. Went down to the sponge docks and through town. Sad seeing everything closed. Beautiful Friday, sponge docks would be teaming with people. Sad.
Is that Tarpon Springs? Used to go down there when they had the Greek festivals

· Registered
8,425 Posts
We just dropped under 3.00. 2.89 a gallon for regular and that is a really good deal!
Wife filled up today at $1.49; only one other station at that price, the rest hanging around $1.87

· Registered
3,162 Posts
Shoot Fitasc, that’s half of what it is here. I’m going to wait a bit before I fill all 3 vehicles and see how low it will go. Don’t need it yet but I’m watching!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.