National Gun Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,173 Posts
I just want my rifle to perform under as many circumstances as it can.
Me thinks you may be over thinking this a bit.

While a piston AR may run cleaner than a d.i. AR I dont think one is anymore reliable than the other.
Sure some may disagree but theres a **** ton of troops out there staking their lives on a d.i. AR.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

While a piston AR may run cleaner than a d.i. AR I dont think one is anymore reliable than the other.
Sure some may disagree but theres a **** ton of troops out there staking their lives on a d.i. AR.
Yeah probabally. I don't know why but I am just a little biased against DI guns, which sucks because they are usually cheaper than piston AR's.

· Registered
1,560 Posts

You are definitely over thinking this. Piston AR's will run cleaner, but, there is a tradeoff in that the bolt carrier 'may' get extra wear inside the upper receiver. DI AR's won't get that extra wear. Piston systems have come a long way though and most of them will happily go for thousands of rounds and still be cleaner inside than a DI AR. They do cost more though. So, just keep your rifle clean and lubricated. No problem. I have both a DI and a piston rifle. The only real difference I have noticed is that my piston rifle has a little bit less kick to it. That though is likely because it has a low mass bolt carrier and a different buffer. Not because it's piston driven. If you want an AR, it is your budget that needs to determine what you get. If you have plenty of money, go ahead and spend a couple grand. Adams Arms make nice piston rifles. Mine is custom built using their piston system and low mass bolt carrier.

· Registered
17,515 Posts
I'm talking drag it through mud, throw it off a cliff, end of the world, and don't clean for thousands of rounds and keeps functioning..
Damn, remind me to never you let you borrow one of my guns!:laughing:

14,173 Posts
You are definitely over thinking this. Piston AR's will run cleaner, but, there is a tradeoff in that the bolt carrier 'may' get extra wear inside the upper receiver. DI AR's won't get that extra wear. Piston systems have come a long way though and most of them will happily go for thousands of rounds and still be cleaner inside than a DI AR. They do cost more though. So, just keep your rifle clean and lubricated. No problem. I have both a DI and a piston rifle. The only real difference I have noticed is that my piston rifle has a little bit less kick to it. That though is likely because it has a low mass bolt carrier and a different buffer. Not because it's piston driven. If you want an AR, it is your budget that needs to determine what you get. If you have plenty of money, go ahead and spend a couple grand. Adams Arms make nice piston rifles. Mine is custom built using their piston system and low mass bolt carrier.
Will, considering your post basically expounded on mine it seems you are speaking to Wehavethetechnology! and not me. Is this correct?
Your post is clear its just not clear who its aimed at. (no pun intended)

14,173 Posts
Haha. I actually do take care of my guns. When I first started cleaning guns my dad would yell at me because I was so thorough and it took me so long.
Somewhat to Will's point.

Seeing as this is your first AR, save yourself some money and buy a DI model. Have fun with it, throw some lead and see if its doing what you need it to do. You'll most likely find its everything you need it to be. (especially if you take care of your guns as you claim and after a few cleanings you will be intimately familiar and most likely never part with your weapon)
The money you'll save buying a DI vs piston will allow you to purchased some nice accessories that will make the platform even more "yours".

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Somewhat to Will's point.

Seeing as this is your first AR, save yourself some money and buy a DI model. Have fun with it, throw some lead and see if its doing what you need it to do. You'll most likely find its everything you need it to be. (especially if you take care of your guns as you claim and after a few cleanings you will be intimately familiar and most likely never part with your weapon)
The money you'll save buying a DI vs piston will allow you to purchased some nice accessories that will make the platform even more "yours".
Thanks for the opinion, what are some nice DI manufacturers you can suggest.

14,173 Posts
Thanks for the opinion, what are some nice DI manufacturers you can suggest.
You're welcome!

I am not an AR aficionado. There are others heres that are much better qualified to answer your question.
With that being said. I recently purchased a Windham Weaponry AR after a decent amount of research.
I looked at DPMS, SIG, Spikes Tactical, Colt, RRA, Stag Arms, Danial Defense and BCM before deciding that the Windham was the best bang for my buck. Your results may vary.

Someone here compared the AR to being the small block chevy of the gun world. (as a car guy I love that reference)
You can change any single part on it you are not happy with and make it your perfect gun. The most import factor to me is starting with a upper and lower that fit great together.
There is very little play between the upper and lower on my Windham. I have a solid foundation to go in any direction I chose. Even if that direction is leaving it just how it came. (which is how it is)

· Registered
25 Posts
Yeah probabally. I don't know why but I am just a little biased against DI guns, which sucks because they are usually cheaper than piston AR's.
You are over thinking this way to much. I personally would pick a direct impingement AR15 over a piston operated AR15 every time.

Yes, the DI guns do run a little more dirty the piston guns, but they work every time and are just as reliable if not more so than a piston gun. The piston operated AR15`s
have the potential for more things to go wrong with them. The piston guns are heavier, the bolts can wear unevenly, and what if the gas piston rod bends or breaks ?, if this happens you and your rifle are instantly out of the game.

So, in my opinion the DI guns win every time.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.