National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering which of two rifles is more reliable. I'm talking drag it through mud, throw it off a cliff, end of the world, and don't clean for thousands of rounds and keeps functioning. Not accuracy, not firepower, but sheer "AK" like reliability. The two rifles are the Barret REC7 18 inch barrel in 5.56 and the LWRC IC enhanced with an 18 inch barrel in 5.56.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steel cased 556

There isn't much in the way of steel cased ammo in 5.56 / .223. I have built an AR pistol for 7.62x39 and it eats any ammo I feed it which is mostly steel cased. Reliable? yes it is. I built it. Would I want mud int he barrel? Of course not. Would it fire with mud in the barrel? Yes it would.

The only drawback with the steel cased ammo is that you can't reload the casings. Same with my 1911 .45. It will fire anything I give it but I can't reload the steel casings when I use steel cased cartridges.

the Rec7 is only available in 5.56/.223 or 6.8mm SPC. 6.8 ammo isn't very cheap. You aren't going to find .223 ammo much with steel casings and .223 ammo isn't very expensive. Only with 7.62x39 ammo do you need to concern yourself with steel casings. There is a LOT of Russian surplus steel cased 7.62x39 ammo out there cheap. That's what an AK is for OR the AR pistol I designed and built.
I know wolf and tulammo make steel cased 556 and I think Privipartizan does as well so wondering if the Rec7 will run it.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ak like

Both the REC7 and the LWRC are quality rifles. I have seen the REC7 lay down some nice groups, no so much for the LWRC, but both are high quality, very reliable rifles.

Both rifles will shoot steel case ammo "fine". The issue with steel case ammo is, it tends to "stick" in the chamber when you get the rifle hot (hot as in, high volume shooting).

I don't understand the "AK reliability" question. That's pretty much a myth and chatter from the uneducated/uninformed. To be clear here, a quality AR is just as if not more reliable than an AK.

As far as DI and a piston rifle go, I have and shoot both. Honestly I don't have a preference, I simply cant tell any real measureable difference in the way of reliability. Yeah, there is more cleaning involved with the DI rifle, it's just a non issue with me.
What I mean by the "AK like"reliability is what is commonly perceived as being reliable, because the AK is the pinnacle of reliable rifles.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I get that but underneath the dust cover of an AK there is a lot more room for mud to go to and not be in the way of the mechanical parts. On an AR there is far less room and the mud gets packed right in with the mehanical and moving parts.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Overall they are very reliable rifles. However, you do realize that they sell parts for AKs right? The AK is not some magic voodoo, impervious to mechanical failure. It is not somehow immune to FTF, FTE, a dud round, or just plane jamming up. I will also state, as a matter of fact, they are not somehow exempt from the law of physics in regards to mud.

I'm not knocking on Aks here, just adding some reality to what is "commonly perceived".
Yes I also realize that AK's can jam and break.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Me thinks you may be over thinking this a bit.

While a piston AR may run cleaner than a d.i. AR I dont think one is anymore reliable than the other.
Sure some may disagree but theres a **** ton of troops out there staking their lives on a d.i. AR.
Yeah probabally. I don't know why but I am just a little biased against DI guns, which sucks because they are usually cheaper than piston AR's.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Somewhat to Will's point.

Seeing as this is your first AR, save yourself some money and buy a DI model. Have fun with it, throw some lead and see if its doing what you need it to do. You'll most likely find its everything you need it to be. (especially if you take care of your guns as you claim and after a few cleanings you will be intimately familiar and most likely never part with your weapon)
The money you'll save buying a DI vs piston will allow you to purchased some nice accessories that will make the platform even more "yours".
Thanks for the opinion, what are some nice DI manufacturers you can suggest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.