National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the Hk G36 is in use with some US law enforcent and government agencies, but has it ever beeen used, or at least been an option for, any US military units ( SEALs, Delta Force, Green Berets, USMC Force Recon, etc)?

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Kabar said:
I understand that the Hk G36 is in use with some US law enforcent and government agencies, but has it ever beeen used, or at least been an option for, any US military units ( SEALs, Delta Force, Green Berets, USMC Force Recon, etc)?
No not to my knowledge. If someone is using it, they would be getting it COTS because it is not in our supply system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of our local Sheriffs Offices hosted a SWAT school that I attended a couple of years ago here in central FL. They currently use the G36. I had the pleasure of shooting it. All I can say is I'd MUCH rather have that than my Not-loved AR. I'm not sure how they came across such a large quanity of them, but they said they weren't able to get anymore, something about H&K not importing anymore or something like that. They also use a few MP5's as well.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
A quick search, though not nearly as accurate as C-D-P's sources, showed only police and SWAT using the G36.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Other than being piston driven, what are the real differences between it and the M16? I haven’t really read up on the weapon much.

And TX. You would be surprised how accurate sites like Wiki can be sometimes. At one point they had the entire breakdown of the TO&E for DEVGRU on there. Needless to say, it was not up for long before it was removed.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Gotta love the FOIA.

It appears to be quite similar to the M16, aesthetics aside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm honestly not sure about the differences, but it was select fire and did seem to have less failures under extreme conditions than the AR. We had a wide variety of AR brands represented and a couple of brands did have some problems. Our main instructor wasn't shy about expressing his hatred for the AR. I'm not a big fan myself, but if counting the failures during our school was any indication, I'd have to agree.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Ok well if it is just aesthetics and the piston vs tube then I can understand why none of the US military is using it. Cost does not justify.

What type AR were you using Chorst? The last time I remember having regular stoppages under extreme conditions was CAX 9 of 2000.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dept. didn't have any extra AR's and none of the guys on the team were willing to give up theres, so I bought my own new Bushmaster M4. I worked good during swat school once I started using an unknown brand plastic magazines. I believe we had the most problems with an Olympic Arms or something like that. I'm not very knowledgable about AR's, but I had severe dependablity issues when I shot it after about 150 round due to it being dirty. I sold my AR after school since I really didn't care for it that much, different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm saving up for a Springfield M1A Socom! :D

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
In my experience, bad cheap or dirty mags will cause you to have problems faster than a dirty M16A4 or newer M4. That is why I always pushed to buy COTS (commercial off the shelf) steel mags for my guys. The H&K High reliability steel mags are great, but freaking expensive. There are a few low dollar high reliability mags out there now. I will dig around and pull some names for you if ya want.

Are you buying the M1 for professional or personal use?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be buying it for personal use. It may be a while before I get it since I can't seem to quit buying new guns. Just bought a new Remington Tactical 870 18' 12 gauge yesterday. My dept. now issues everyone M4's. I did throw away my junk, stock Bushmaster mags and purchased some Wilson Combat mags which worked very well and were very expensive. I've sold my personal AR since then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts